IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HC Motion Tail Lights for 06-12 IS250/350 **PICS & VIDEOS*

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-22, 01:20 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

How are the lights holding up fellas? Thinking about swapping them in for my Vlands.. my car is out of hibernation, had some exhaust work done this week and getting spc rear camber arms installed this week.. these lights would clean up the bulk of the Vlands that has been noted by many..
Old 04-11-22, 02:59 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
How are the lights holding up fellas? Thinking about swapping them in for my Vlands.. my car is out of hibernation, had some exhaust work done this week and getting spc rear camber arms installed this week.. these lights would clean up the bulk of the Vlands that has been noted by many..

They are holding up well. Very well made. I sprayed flitz ceramic coating spray on them and all is well.
Old 04-11-22, 06:27 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice! I ordered a set.. definitely looking forward to the updated look.. I still like my Vlands but the hcmotionz will definitely freshen it up. SPC rear camber arms going in on Thursday..
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (04-16-22)
Old 04-14-22, 10:14 PM
DownUnder
Intermediate

Received 794 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
I've had zero issues with mine and they were the first batch. Would certainly recommend them.
The following 2 users liked this post by DownUnder:
MrHarris (04-16-22), SeanO (04-15-22)
Old 04-16-22, 10:47 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DownUnder
I've had zero issues with mine and they were the first batch. Would certainly recommend them.
me too. For me my issue is i can’t seem to decide if I want it to be configured to have animation enabled or just plain Jane and disabled.
SeanO (04-16-22)
Old 05-07-22, 01:08 PM
pearllex09
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What harness do you hook up the sequential up to?
Old 05-12-22, 08:14 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pearllex09
What harness do you hook up the sequential up to?

its like directly attached to the light housing. There’s four manual push button switches that you press or de press (animated or no animated). The switches look like a little bomb trigger or a joystick for those claw games where you press the button on the joystick to get the prize. I’ve never done this before but I’ve always wondered how it would be if I just pressed some of them as enabled/animate and some of them disabled. I bet it would look retarded but perhaps amusing for a quick minute.

as for me I really can’t decide which mode to use. For now I am in the animate mode as I figure why not try and utilize all of its features. However, I am 33 years old and sometimes I get a voice in the back of my head telling me to disable it as I am under the impression that disabled animation mode is and will appear to look like the more mature/OEM/factory look. But then again I can’t be so sure because some commercials of the latest 2022 models seem to have eerily similar animations on their headlights/taillights from various car manufacturers, lexus included.

i recently just acquired the ingenuity time led headlights, and they look pretty epic, more epic than the HCMotion offering - similar looking but definitely not the same. Anyhow I have yet to install them but preliminary impression is that they are extremely high quality and rival 2022 model lexus headlight quality in terms of manufacturing/fit/finish. I am still amazed how just changing some tail lights and headlights on this super old is250, and how it actually makes it look legitimately not outdated. Weird and cool.
TheUser (05-15-22)
Old 06-01-22, 03:34 AM
TheUser
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Mr. Harris, based on your experience, I ordered the LED taillights from the vendor Ingenuity Time on Amazon. I ordered two of the Toyota weather strip part #: 7687506020C0 as well to completely seal out the water and humidity. Also bought the relay flasher that Binh recommended in his video above--part name: DEWHEL 8-PIN 81980-50030 066500-4650. We will see how these Chinese products hold up against OEM.
Old 06-01-22, 01:01 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUser
Hey Mr. Harris, based on your experience, I ordered the LED taillights from the vendor Ingenuity Time on Amazon. I ordered two of the Toyota weather strip part #: 7687506020C0 as well to completely seal out the water and humidity. Also bought the relay flasher that Binh recommended in his video above--part name: DEWHEL 8-PIN 81980-50030 066500-4650. We will see how these Chinese products hold up against OEM.

I've had the Diode Dynamics LM449 / CF18 One Tap programmable flasher in there for three years operating Spec-D tail lights. I don't think the One Tap flasher and these programmable lights would have issues working together but who knows?

I need something up front like the switchback swoosh they make so one end doesn't look left out but can't justify $1000 plus in lighting I don't need.
Old 07-17-22, 10:53 PM
DownUnder
Intermediate

Decided to put the black/smoked version of the HC Motion tail lights in one of the cars instead of the red, and it definitely suits the look I've got going on. Here's some before and after photos as a comparison:

The following 2 users liked this post by DownUnder:
primavera (07-19-22), TheUser (07-20-22)
Old 07-30-22, 03:09 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

After a couple months of holding back, I am considering on buying these. However, does anyone if hcmotion addressed the problem where the 2 tabs had to get bent to get these taillights to fit. I know its easy to bend the 2 tabs to make it fit but I rather not have to do that. Also, another thing is does anyone know if hcmotion now puts a weatherstrip or something to help the keep moisture completely out. From my understanding the moisture doesnt actually go into the taillights and damages it but its nice to have that piece of mind that theres something to protect it. But I just don’t want to have to buy another weatherstrip or remove the weatherstrip from my stock taillights.
Bottomline is that I want to be able to get these and installed them straight out of the box. Basically like how the VLAND taillights were.

Last edited by davidbusta; 07-30-22 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-30-22, 11:29 PM
DownUnder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davidbusta
After a couple months of holding back, I am considering on buying these. However, does anyone if hcmotion addressed the problem where the 2 tabs had to get bent to get these taillights to fit. I know its easy to bend the 2 tabs to make it fit but I rather not have to do that. Also, another thing is does anyone know if hcmotion now puts a weatherstrip or something to help the keep moisture completely out. From my understanding the moisture doesnt actually go into the taillights and damages it but its nice to have that piece of mind that theres something to protect it. But I just don’t want to have to buy another weatherstrip or remove the weatherstrip from my stock taillights.
Bottomline is that I want to be able to get these and installed them straight out of the box. Basically like how the VLAND taillights were.
They fixed the design almost immediately. A friend and I were one of the first in the world to get them as he had good relations with HC Motion in China, so we were essentially the international test mules. His one fitted fine as he had a 2008 IS-F which already had flat ridges in the trunk lamp opening, whereas my 2006 IS350 had the issue of needing to be bent as it only affected the 2006-2008 models. Straight after my feedback to HC Motion they fixed the problem on their second batch and everything is fine now.

As for the weatherstrip, you really don't need to bother. I did it on my first set since it was so unknown about whether it would leak, but I have two more sets on my other IS350s without the weather strip and there are absolutely no problems with moisture or condensation. I know a bunch of people who have also installed them straight out of the box with no issues.

My advice, buy them. I have these in all three of our 2IS models, and paid full price for all of them. Absolutely no complaints.
MrHarris (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 07:25 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

They fixed the design almost immediately. A friend and I were one of the first in the world to get them as he had good relations with HC Motion in China, so we were essentially the international test mules. His one fitted fine as he had a 2008 IS-F which already had flat ridges in the trunk lamp opening, whereas my 2006 IS350 had the issue of needing to be bent as it only affected the 2006-2008 models. Straight after my feedback to HC Motion they fixed the problem on their second batch and everything is fine now.

As for the weatherstrip, you really don't need to bother. I did it on my first set since it was so unknown about whether it would leak, but I have two more sets on my other IS350s without the weather strip and there are absolutely no problems with moisture or condensation. I know a bunch of people who have also installed them straight out of the box with no issues.

My advice, buy them. I have these in all three of our 2IS models, and paid full price for all of them. Absolutely no complaints.

yeah I have no issues as well and no weather strip either.
Old 08-13-22, 05:05 PM
Issa250
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Figured I'd post up some photos and videos of the new HC Motion tail lights that just came out for the 06-12 IS250, IS350 & IS-F. I received these from China to New Zealand in 3-days on FedEx Express and installed them on Thursday afternoon. These are HC's first IS tail light and they certainly didn't disappoint. The 'start-up' animation and sequential turn signal alone make them worth it, but the design when they're off is also nice.

I previously had the Vland tail lights, which I bought 3-5 years ago not long after they came out. Still love the Vland design but these are on a whole new level. Installation was plug and play...for the most part. On the 06-08 models there are two metal tabs on the trunk lid recess that need to be bent inwards using a pair of pliers for the lamps to be able to fit (mine is an '06). On the Vlands they cater for this with a recess in the lamp itself, but on 2008+ models this isn't an issue as Lexus didn't use the same design for the trunk lid. The only other thing was the lack of rubber weather-stripping along the top edges of the lights, like the OEM ones and the Vlands have. I simply peeled off the OEM weather stripping from my original tail lights and used thin double sided tape to stick them onto the HC tail lights. This is something HC are now aware of and will likely fix on their next batch, but either way it won't allow water into the trunk as there is a foam seal where it bolts to the body, but without the weather strip you will see a bit of a gap.

The tail lights have a red button on a separate wire, on both the main tail light and the trunk lid lamp. This allows you to turn the start-up animation off completely and choose between having the turn signal flash like normal or do the sequential motion. I'm not sure why anyone would want either of those functions off, but's it's nice they give you an easy way to disable them.

The animation starts when you turn the park lights on the first click, and will stay lit up as a full-time park light even when the headlights are on. You can flick your park lights on and off as many times as you like and the amination will start again every time, which is pretty cool.

Installation is plug-and-play. You only need to run one wire from each tail light to the trunk lid light so that the sequential turn signal works. Just pop off the plastic cover over the trunk lid hinges and tuck the wire inside. Be careful when popping them off as you can easily break the thin tabs on the front side, so best to use a thin plastic pry tool and gently pull on it while popping it off. These use an external resistor mounted on the back of the trunk lid lamp, but don't require any other additional wires to be ran or spliced.

I can also confirm that these have a built-in rear fog light option for cars that have the rear fog selection on the headlight stalk. Mine is a Japanese import model but luckily it does have the rear fog light option so I was able to test it out. A small section of the brake light functions as the rear fog light on the HC Motion lights, whereas on the Vlands they used the reversing light instead, which turned red.

Can tell that these will be very popular soon so I'm looking forward to seeing others with them, but for now here are some videos and photos that I have taken over the last couple of days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o03WHcciusw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX7ARLNQWJM

For the weather strip is there anywhere i can get the same weather strip at a home depot or walmart if i dont wanna take out the strip from the OEM tailights?
Old 08-13-22, 08:14 PM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Issa250
For the weather strip is there anywhere i can get the same weather strip at a home depot or walmart if i dont wanna take out the strip from the OEM tailights?

where r you located? I bought some OEM Weather stripping that was recommended by the binh is250 guy from YouTube. I have quite a bit extra

Quick Reply: HC Motion Tail Lights for 06-12 IS250/350 **PICS & VIDEOS*