IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Steering wheel locked.....no key fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-21 | 07:44 AM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Default Steering wheel locked.....no key fob

Is there any way I can unlock the steering wheel without having the key fob?

​​​The car is a 2008 is250. I bought it from police impound without a key. I'm just using it for parts to replace items on my sons 350. I know I CAN remove the entire steering column but I just need to unlock the wheel so I can steer the tires and move the car off to the side of my driveway.

Obviously, the car has an electronic locking mechanism on the steering column. Does anybody know what wire terminals I can "hotwire" to manipulate the locking mechanism?

I don't want to damage anything as I also plan on parting out the car online.

Old 11-10-21 | 11:52 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

One of my fellow moderators suggested using a dolly, like these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...-pc-61283.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ies-67338.html

As for your question about "hotwiring" the steering lock (if it's even possible): I'm afraid that posting instructions about how to bypass an anti-theft device is not appropriate for a public forum like ours.

Last edited by Bichon; 11-10-21 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PewPew7 (11-10-21)
Old 11-11-21 | 05:38 PM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bichon
As for your question about "hotwiring" the steering lock (if it's even possible): I'm afraid that posting instructions about how to bypass an anti-theft device is not appropriate for a public forum like ours.
You are absolutely correct. I thought about that fact after posting/starting this thread. Suffice it to say, I did all the leg work myself to unlock the steering wheel, and not only was I able to manipulate the steering lock, I was also able to start the engine and drive it to where I wanted it parked on my property. I won't list very specific details regarding how I was able to make this happen. But I will generally say this: The Toyota/Lexus anti theft system on these cars is a very robust system and the average "scumbag" criminal will DEFINATELY not be able to steal one of these cars by simply hopping in, breaking something and driving it away with out a key fob. It took me the better part of 4 hours, with multiple software tools and two laptop computers running automated programs simultaneously just to deal with the steering lock. After the steering lock, there's the fuel delivery, the engine spark ignition, the transmission pressure switches, and a handful more elements /events just to get to and manipulate the throttle pedal communication with the blah, blah, blah......it's a mess!

Pretty sure I couldn't have done this if I didn't know how to write/overwrite programs on nonburnable maps.

And now that I've got the car moved......does anybody know if the cam sensors are interchangeable between the is250 and os350 cars?

One other thing......I'm new to the Lexus brand, I've owned plenty of Scion and Toyota cars. Supra. MR2, xB, Rav4, Tundra, T100.......Rav4 being my absolute FAVORITE!...you name it, I've owned it when it comes to Toyota/Scion. ......but when it comes to the IS Lexus cars, am I correct when I refer to the IS350 as a 3IS and when I refer to the 250 as 2IS. I'm thinking the two is is a second-generation is and when I heard somebody say three is I think it's the third generation I asked

Old 11-12-21 | 05:51 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JacobsDad
am I correct when I refer to the IS350 as a 3IS and when I refer to the 250 as 2IS. I'm thinking the two is is a second-generation is and when I heard somebody say three is I think it's the third generation I asked
There are three generations of the Lexus IS. The first, based on the JDM Toyota Altezza, was produced from introduction through model year 2005. The second generation, introducing Lexus' L-finesse styling theme was built from model years 2006-2013. The third generation, with the spindle grill, was produced starting in MY 2014.

Or visually:
1IS:

2IS:

3IS:

Old 11-12-21 | 12:42 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

You are absolutely correct. I thought about that fact after posting/starting this thread. Suffice it to say, I did all the leg work myself to unlock the steering wheel, and not only was I able to manipulate the steering lock, I was also able to start the engine and drive it to where I wanted it parked on my property. I won't list very specific details regarding how I was able to make this happen. But I will generally say this: The Toyota/Lexus anti theft system on these cars is a very robust system and the average "scumbag" criminal will DEFINATELY not be able to steal one of these cars by simply hopping in, breaking something and driving it away with out a key fob. It took me the better part of 4 hours, with multiple software tools and two laptop computers running automated programs simultaneously just to deal with the steering lock. After the steering lock, there's the fuel delivery, the engine spark ignition, the transmission pressure switches, and a handful more elements /events just to get to and manipulate the throttle pedal communication with the blah, blah, blah......it's a mess!

Pretty sure I couldn't have done this if I didn't know how to write/overwrite programs on nonburnable maps.

And now that I've got the car moved......does anybody know if the cam sensors are interchangeable between the is250 and os350 cars?

One other thing......I'm new to the Lexus brand, I've owned plenty of Scion and Toyota cars. Supra. MR2, xB, Rav4, Tundra, T100.......Rav4 being my absolute FAVORITE!...you name it, I've owned it when it comes to Toyota/Scion. ......but when it comes to the IS Lexus cars, am I correct when I refer to the IS350 as a 3IS and when I refer to the 250 as 2IS. I'm thinking the two is is a second-generation is and when I heard somebody say three is I think it's the third generation I asked
A used fob and locksmith sound a lot easier. For that matter one could potentially use an existing fob.

A lot of things will interchange between the two. if you wish to be certain, look up the part on a Lexus site and click the where used button.

Old 11-12-21 | 02:23 PM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
A used fob and locksmith sound a lot easier. For that matter one could potentially use an existing fob.
Yes! A used fob and a locksmith definately would have been alot easier.......the RELIABLE locksmith I always go to is "The Lock Doc" named Ralph....That guys been digging deeper and deeper into my pockets every time I use his services. First programmed key he made for me was $75.......fast forward a dozen keys later, now prices are never less than $400. He's gouging me. I live in a small town and he's pretty much the only game in town with the appropriate programming software for later model cars.

Asked one time: How come you charge me so much everytime?......his response was: Because you pay so much everytime.

Time to find a new key guy.

I'm not sure if a used key fob could be programmed to another car. It may be possible however, I've ran across the problem where the used key is corrupted if programming to another vehicle is attempted.
Old 11-12-21 | 02:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Yes! A used fob and a locksmith definately would have been alot easier.......the RELIABLE locksmith I always go to is "The Lock Doc" named Ralph....That guys been digging deeper and deeper into my pockets every time I use his services. First programmed key he made for me was $75.......fast forward a dozen keys later, now prices are never less than $400. He's gouging me. I live in a small town and he's pretty much the only game in town with the appropriate programming software for later model cars.

Asked one time: How come you charge me so much everytime?......his response was: Because you pay so much everytime.

Time to find a new key guy.

I'm not sure if a used key fob could be programmed to another car. It may be possible however, I've ran across the problem where the used key is corrupted if programming to another vehicle is attempted.
I actually just did a 2017 Highlander. We bought it used w one fob, bought a used OEM unlocked fob and our locksmith paired them for $60. Of course it was 36 to grind the physical key. A China fob is $60 but I trust a used Yoda fob over that..
Total cost unlock new uncut key plus programming and key grind was under $200.

Sorry man. Find someone else!

Last edited by 2013FSport; 11-12-21 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-20-23 | 04:23 PM
AndyRayZed
4th Gear

Default 09 IS250 from auctions no key, fob programmed but steering lock issues

This seems very much like my current issue, we have an 09 IS250 from abandoned/recovered vehicle auctions, lovely car, have had it running with a blade key, have had 2 key fobs successfully programmed and working as far as turning on ACC but wont start as it wont allow the steering lock to activate,
does anyone have experiences with steering lock issues, or maybe steering lock ECU issues interfacing with the key/fob ?
We have an auto electrical workshop with scantools etc and a great locksmith with all the eprom gear etc but nothing has solved this one yet, seems like we need to find someone that has had this same exact issue, EVERYTHING works EXCEPT the steering lock wont 'activate'.