IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can't get rid of P0305 & P0301 codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-21 | 05:50 PM
seanmwple
Intermediate

Default Can't get rid of P0305 & P0301 codes

I have been getting misfires on cylinder 1 and 5 for a few days now and cant get rid of them. TRAC OFF displays and check engine light starts blinking. Car accelerates slowly and takes a good 8-10 seconds to get to 40mph. Originally it was just cylinder 5 misfire so I swapped spark plugs to see if it was the cylinder but I was still getting misfire on cylinder 5 but now also on cylinder 1. I got 3 new plugs and replaced 1, 3 and 5 and also replaced the ignition coil on 5. Still getting misfires on cylinder 1 and 5. I also got code P0340 once which is for the camshaft position sensor but when I cleared the codes I haven't got that error code since. I wanted to just check and see if something was loose wasn't able to find where camshaft position sensor is.

What should I try next???
Old 11-14-21 | 07:11 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by seanmwple
I have been getting misfires on cylinder 1 and 5 for a few days now and cant get rid of them. TRAC OFF displays and check engine light starts blinking. Car accelerates slowly and takes a good 8-10 seconds to get to 40mph. Originally it was just cylinder 5 misfire so I swapped spark plugs to see if it was the cylinder but I was still getting misfire on cylinder 5 but now also on cylinder 1. I got 3 new plugs and replaced 1, 3 and 5 and also replaced the ignition coil on 5. Still getting misfires on cylinder 1 and 5. I also got code P0340 once which is for the camshaft position sensor but when I cleared the codes I haven't got that error code since. I wanted to just check and see if something was loose wasn't able to find where camshaft position sensor is.

What should I try next???
OEM Denso plugs and coil or aftermarket?

What year, how many miles, and how is it used?

If OEM, pull all plugs and do a compression test. You'll want fuel and spark disabled.
Old 11-14-21 | 08:12 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Seen this problem alot. To start with are you sure you have the ight info on which is cylinder is which by location?
Old 11-14-21 | 08:47 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
Seen this problem alot. To start with are you sure you have the ight info on which is cylinder is which by location?

Good point ^^^. +10
1 3 5 is right-side aka sitting in the seat looking ahead.
2 4 6 is left
Old 11-14-21 | 09:20 PM
seanmwple
Intermediate

As far as I know.. it looks like my image below...
Attached Thumbnails Can't get rid of P0305 & P0301 codes-inkedused-2012-lexus-is-250-awd-250-awd.jpg  
Old 11-14-21 | 09:36 PM
seanmwple
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
OEM Denso plugs and coil or aftermarket?

What year, how many miles, and how is it used?

If OEM, pull all plugs and do a compression test. You'll want fuel and spark disabled.
OEM Plugs and coil. 2012 140k every day driver maybe 40 miles at most each day.

Maybe a dumb question but What do you mean fuel and spark disabled?
Old 11-14-21 | 09:45 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by seanmwple
OEM Plugs and coil. 2012 140k every day driver maybe 40 miles at most each day.

Maybe a dumb question but What do you mean fuel and spark disabled?
For a compression test. When was the last time it ran properly?
Old 11-14-21 | 10:47 PM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Swap fuel injectors 1 and 5, clear the codes and see what happens.

Old 11-14-21 | 10:57 PM
seanmwple
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
For a compression test. When was the last time it ran properly?
Wednesday last week was the first day the TRAC OFF and blinking check engine light came on. But the last two weeks I have notice a little bit of a rough start.
Old 11-15-21 | 01:12 AM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

What year car.....
I am currently experiencing the same situation. Misfire on cylinders 1 and 5.

Battery was old. I bought/installed new battery and the car ran perfect for a week. Then same 1 and 5 misfire started happening again. Took car to a shop last Friday to make an appointment and explained my situation. The repair tech gave me an appointment and advised me to replace cam position sensor on bank 1 to see if that fixes the problem......I installed new cam sensor on bank 1 and still getting 1 and 5 misfires. Will be dropping the car off at the shop tomorrow and let the pros do their thing......told them my repair budget is $2,000........anything $$$ more than that and I'm just gonna junk the car. The tech said "worse case scenario" would be the vvti sensor and/or related cam timing components on bank 1 will need repair/replace.
Old 11-15-21 | 01:14 AM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Oh, by the way, my car is 2008 is350 Luxury edition.
Old 11-15-21 | 06:25 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Hate to say this cost wise but its always best to start with all new plugs OEM and coils. Those code are cylinder related for sure. At that point you are not chasing 2 new plugs only certain cylinders, 1 new coil this cylinder and so on. At that point if still coding now you go to other things like injectors and such. Its normal that the Traction light flashed and disables on a misfire code.

What did the plugs look like in cylinders 1 & 5 when you took them out vs the other cylinders? Also be 100% sure again that you have you cylinders on both side identified correctly while trouble shooting. Look for things like are all the coils the same part #? Are all the plugs the same part #. The 3.5 motor is very sensitive to such differences.

From your 1st post I see that 1 & 5 were misfire codes if you are correct without me looking them up. Looks like what was Not done was Coil replaced on cylinder # 1. Make sure you addressed a new coil and plug on 1 & 5. Then do a switch with those 1 & 5 coil and plug to other, and just do only one change at a time. Also run some cleaner in like Techron or Seafoam and reset the ECU. I personally think you just have a coil and plug problem. Also could be rubber Coil boot related or connector related.
Old 11-15-21 | 06:27 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JacobsDad
What year car.....
I am currently experiencing the same situation. Misfire on cylinders 1 and 5.

Battery was old. I bought/installed new battery and the car ran perfect for a week. Then same 1 and 5 misfire started happening again. Took car to a shop last Friday to make an appointment and explained my situation. The repair tech gave me an appointment and advised me to replace cam position sensor on bank 1 to see if that fixes the problem......I installed new cam sensor on bank 1 and still getting 1 and 5 misfires. Will be dropping the car off at the shop tomorrow and let the pros do their thing......told them my repair budget is $2,000........anything $$$ more than that and I'm just gonna junk the car. The tech said "worse case scenario" would be the vvti sensor and/or related cam timing components on bank 1 will need repair/replace.
Did you replace all the 6 Coils and plugs with new? When 1 or 2 plug/coils are going bad they are normally all the same age and condition.
Old 11-15-21 | 06:54 AM
seanmwple
Intermediate

Hate to say this cost wise but its always best to start with all new plugs OEM and coils. Those code are cylinder related for sure. At that point you are not chasing 2 new plugs only certain cylinders, 1 new coil this cylinder and so on. At that point if still coding now you go to other things like injectors and such. Its normal that the Traction light flashed and disables on a misfire code.

What did the plugs look like in cylinders 1 & 5 when you took them out vs the other cylinders? Also be 100% sure again that you have you cylinders on both side identified correctly while trouble shooting. Look for things like are all the coils the same part #? Are all the plugs the same part #. The 3.5 motor is very sensitive to such differences.

From your 1st post I see that 1 & 5 were misfire codes if you are correct without me looking them up. Looks like what was Not done was Coil replaced on cylinder # 1. Make sure you addressed a new coil and plug on 1 & 5. Then do a switch with those 1 & 5 coil and plug to other, and just do only one change at a time. Also run some cleaner in like Techron or Seafoam and reset the ECU. I personally think you just have a coil and plug problem. Also could be rubber Coil boot related or connector related.
Where do I use the cleaner at??? Would carburetor cleaner work? And I am pretty sure disconnecting the battery resets ECU right?
Old 11-15-21 | 07:46 AM
seanmwple
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JacobsDad
Swap fuel injectors 1 and 5, clear the codes and see what happens.
Do you know where I can find a diagram? I don't know which fuel injector goes to which cylinder..

Quick Reply: Can't get rid of P0305 & P0301 codes