IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 is350 oem lowbeam replacements

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-21, 05:13 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 06 is350 lowbeam HID replacements

Hello everyone my lowbeams decided to reach eol and now I gotta replace them. Not sure if there's a part number out there for them, and also was wondering if this could be a simple diy (from someone who has changed these before) if not I'll take it to the shop.
thanks

Last edited by ncatona; 11-30-21 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-28-21, 06:20 PM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Drive car on wheel ramps.
Remove bolts & clips under the bumper.
Open hood.
Remove cosmetic cover above hood latch
Remove screws/clips on outer edge of bumper
Unclip fog light connectors.
Remove front bumper cover.
Remove Head light assemblies.
Replace bulbs.
Old 11-28-21, 06:45 PM
coyo
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Either I don't know what the other guy is talking about or I'm misinterpreting your question, but I recently replaced my low beam HIDs. You have to remove engine bay covers, remove the washer fluid tube for the left side, and reposition/remove the intake and then you have access to the bulbs on both sides. Not terribly complicated.
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (11-29-21)
Old 11-29-21, 05:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Coyo is right. No need to remove the bumper or headlight assemblies to replace the bulb; it's easily accessible on the driver side after removing the washer fluid fill tube, and on the passenger side after loosening and pushing the airbox aside.
ncatona (11-29-21)
Old 11-29-21, 11:21 AM
ncatona
Intermediate

Originally Posted by coyo
Either I don't know what the other guy is talking about or I'm misinterpreting your question, but I recently replaced my low beam HIDs. You have to remove engine bay covers, remove the washer fluid tube for the left side, and reposition/remove the intake and then you have access to the bulbs on both sides. Not terribly complicated.
that's what I was wondering about. Also did you get oem light bulbs? And if so how much and from where.
Old 11-29-21, 11:52 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by ncatona
that's what I was wondering about. Also did you get oem light bulbs? And if so how much and from where.
You need to know what bulbs you have in the first place. HIDs weren't standard on the 350 in 06, so if you have a base IS (no nav or premium package), you likely will have the halogen lights. If your lights still work, you can easily find out which lights you have. When turning on HIDs, they'll have a blue glow to them, along with the projectors moving up and down on first start. If your lights don't move, don't change color as they warm up and are simply yellow, you have halogens. If you have a DIY mindset, you can just pull off the bulb cover that the others mentioned to find out what bulbs you have.

HIDs, buy online from The Retrofit Source if you want to make sure you're getting legit bulbs. Amazon can be a 50/50 for legit bulbs. You don't need anything fancy, you can go with their aftermarket D4S bulbs (Morimoto), or go with the OEM brands (Philips, Osram, Sylvania, etc). Very important that you're buying D4S HID bulbs, D2S will not work. If color temperature isn't important to you, stick with a 4300/4350k HID bulb. If you want something a little whiter, go with a 5000k bulb. With higher color temperature bulbs, you typically want to go with the OEMs as light output goes down as color temp goes up, but most OEMs have worked it out in a way that you're not losing output.

Halogens? Buy them anywhere. A tip with halogens is to stick with the long life bulbs, nothing coated blue or advertised as "Xenon-appearance". The "more output" "brighter" bulbs don't have as long of a lifespan (e.g. Sylvania Silverstar/Ultra), I wouldn't use these except in high beam applications.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zmon:
ncatona (11-29-21), Propulsion (01-24-22)
Old 11-29-21, 01:01 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

The one im pointing is dead and it turns on blue

printing inside says low beam headlights with high voltage warnings, and I think it's halogen

Last edited by ncatona; 11-29-21 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-29-21, 01:59 PM
Zmon
Racer

The one im pointing is dead and it turns on blue

printing inside says low beam headlights with high voltage warnings, and I think it's halogen
Turns on blue and has high voltage warnings? HIDs. If you want to confirm like I mentioned above though, pop the cover off behind the headlight and twist off the headlight connector. Here's a video guide. If the headlight connector looks exactly like the dude's in the video, you have HIDs.

As for bulbs, like I said above, get them from The Retrofit Source. You should ALWAYS replace bulbs in pairs, never just one at a time, so you'll be changing both side's bulbs in your situation. TRS also only sells bulbs in pairs. Again, they're D4S bulbs.
Aftermarket: Morimoto, cheapest option but still quality bulbs. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d4...D4S?quantity=1
Cheapest OEM: Osram 66440 https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d4...440?quantity=1
OEM, most light output: Osram 66440 Night Breaker https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d4...XNL?quantity=1
OEM, 5000k bulb: Osram 66440 CBI https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d4...CBI?quantity=1
The following 2 users liked this post by Zmon:
dvarapala (01-21-22), ncatona (11-29-21)
Old 11-29-21, 03:04 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

d4s 8000k bulbs no other info on them, are these oem?
dealer says they're xenon xid or something, 180 a bulb.

Last edited by ncatona; 11-29-21 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-29-21, 07:05 PM
Zmon
Racer

Bulbs themselves are not OEM. 8000k is an extremely blue colored bulb, output was likely terrible. Replace the bulbs with one of the links I provided above. The dealer is selling you a single bulb for $180, when you're getting a pair for $70-150 depending on your option.
ncatona (11-29-21)
Old 11-29-21, 08:18 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

8000k is enough said, output will be terrible.

Zmon, the OP in the thread below, and myself are running Osram CBI/CBB. Good bulbs for $120 a pair.
I tried the Morimoto bulbs for $60 a pair. Good in a pinch but not that great of output or life span. PS - my OEM bulb would always start cold, then fade to orange and shut off when warm leaving the ballast humming. Replace the bulbs ASAP from under the hood. I have pictures if you like. Let me know. You may need to bend your arm like a pretzel but even w big hands, it's doable.

Big tip - DO NOT touch the glass. The oils from your skin will explode the bulb. Keep it clean and wear gloves if possible. Wipe with methanol or acetone if you touch them accidentally.

Thread is currently just below this one in the stack.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eam-led-s.html

Last edited by 2013FSport; 11-29-21 at 08:36 PM.
ncatona (11-29-21)
Old 11-29-21, 10:09 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Yea no wonder my lights were bad with lowbeams lol whenever I went high beams it was a huge difference.
I'll look into those options provided and will keep yall posted, it's definitely something I'm doing this week. My fog lights are a yellow color and I think oem but not sure.
Old 11-30-21, 06:44 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Yea no wonder my lights were bad with lowbeams lol whenever I went high beams it was a huge difference.
I'll look into those options provided and will keep yall posted, it's definitely something I'm doing this week. My fog lights are a yellow color and I think oem but not sure.
I don't think the IS ever rolled out w yellow fogs. They're halogen bulbs and were likely swapped by PO. Unless you need then and they do work well in the fog, I'd swap them for something else. Up to you.
ncatona (11-30-21)
Old 11-30-21, 09:08 AM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I don't think the IS ever rolled out w yellow fogs. They're halogen bulbs and were likely swapped by PO. Unless you need then and they do work well in the fog, I'd swap them for something else. Up to you.
Previous owner may have swapped 3000k HIDs in there, only way to know is to pay attention to how the bulbs turn on. Like I mentioned above, if they shift from blue to yellow on a cold start, someone swapped HIDs into your fogs. If they're just strictly yellow with no color shift on a cold start, then it's the normal OEM halogens in the fogs.
ncatona (11-30-21)
Old 11-30-21, 01:05 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Looks like I'm going with an osram hid, one thing I notice is people talking about leveling their lights. How would I be able to do that if possible? I think mine have a leveling system, but it's been awhile since I last checked afs or something like that.

Quick Reply: 06 is350 oem lowbeam replacements