IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Decreased mileage in lexus is250 2010

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-21, 10:58 PM
q55555b
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i restore original mileage capacity in lexus is250 2010?

I bought lexus is250 awd 2010. When I completely filled up the tank I am averaging about 294miles per tank which is relatively very low. According to lexus is250 2010 awd should get 376miles on a full tank. I fill up a premium fuel special 95. Can anybody tell why am I getting low miles? Thats around 82 miles difference!!!! How can I restore from 294 to 376!!

Last edited by q55555b; 11-29-21 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-29-21, 11:58 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

It depends on your driving style and where you're driving. If you're doing a lot of stop and go in the city, that's really the best you'll get out of a tank of gas. A lot of short trips (driving only a couple miles) will give the same result as well. Getting 26 mpg is with ideal conditions with mainly highway driving, barely any stop and go, etc... If you're a spirited driver, MPG will also suffer regardless of city vs highway driving.
Old 11-29-21, 06:07 PM
q55555b
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
It depends on your driving style and where you're driving. If you're doing a lot of stop and go in the city, that's really the best you'll get out of a tank of gas. A lot of short trips (driving only a couple miles) will give the same result as well. Getting 26 mpg is with ideal conditions with mainly highway driving, barely any stop and go, etc... If you're a spirited driver, MPG will also suffer regardless of city vs highway driving.

i drive below 2000 rpm!!! Is there anything I can do my car to increase gas mileage !! like to average around original threshold of the car
Old 11-30-21, 06:52 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by q55555b
I bought lexus is250 awd 2010. When I completely filled up the tank I am averaging about 294miles per tank which is relatively very low. According to lexus is250 2010 awd should get 376miles on a full tank. I fill up a premium fuel special 95. Can anybody tell why am I getting low miles? Thats around 82 miles difference!!!! How can I restore from 294 to 376!!
Estimated fuel mileage for your 2010 IS250 AWD is 20 MPG in the city, 26 MPG on the highway, and 22 MPG combined. Your actual mileage will vary.

Not sure where you got 376 miles from. Trip computer range display? That's just an estimate made by the trip computer.

i drive below 2000 rpm!!! Is there anything I can do my car to increase gas mileage !! like to average around original threshold of the car
Zmon already gave you some good advice, but your response about keeping RPM low didn't really address his points.

Avoiding short trips is critical for improving your mileage. When you first start the car from cold, the engine computer is far more concerned about getting the catalytic converters up to temperature (called catalyst light off, to reduce pollution) than it is to conserve gas. Do you do a lot of short trips? What is your daily commute to work?

And driving -- Do you do a lot of driving in the city, in stop-and-go driving? Or do you get out and do some long trips on the open road?

I typically get better than 25 MPG on my IS350 (except in really cold weather), but I have a 25 mile/each way commute. When I was working at home during the Covid-19 lock downs, and my typical trip was 2 miles to the grocery store, my mileage dropped into the teens. Now that I'm commuting again, my good mileage is back.

Last edited by Bichon; 11-30-21 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-30-21, 06:55 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

How is the car used? Short trips knock the crap out your MPG's. Let's say it's a 10min drive, it spends 10min to get to operating temp, and if in the city, half that time is at a traffic light and it uses only the low gears.

My 350 on the highway = 26 mpg.
City/highway 50/50 = 21/22 mpg.
City short trips = 19 mpg.
Old 11-30-21, 07:58 AM
Crickets
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A few things you might wish to try as they worked for me on my 2008 IS350. I audited the gas mileage 1 month before and again 1 month after each changes. Better gas mileage after the changes:

1. Spark plugs: car had about 150K miles on it. Remarkable improvement in terms of gas mileage, acceleration, engine smoothness, uphill power, etc. I’d replace them even if they haven’t exceeded the 120K miles recommended in the manual

2. Throttle Body: cleaning it helped both gas mileage and acceleration.

3. Brand of gas: I found that Sunoco gives my car best gas mileage. Eg: continuous highway driving on cruise control at 70mph until the gas tank is at 1/4 tank. Drive from Sarasota Springs NY to Erie, PA so road was pretty even, few major uphills and downhills. Outdoor temp in the low 70s:

- Sunoco: average 29 mpg
- BP: average 26 mpg (and the most expensive too)
- Speedway: average 27 mpg

I always use Speedway now since it’s the cheapest but gives descent gas mileage which saves me money since the extra mpg with Sunoco will not compensate for the additional cost

4: Tires: I found that the best tires in terms of performance and mpg are Michelin Pilot all season (but only minimally. Not worth the extra cost as we’ll never recoup the savings from slightly better mpg. I have them only because of the ride and traction)
Old 11-30-21, 02:33 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Originally Posted by Crickets
A few things you might wish to try as they worked for me on my 2008 IS350. I audited the gas mileage 1 month before and again 1 month after each changes. Better gas mileage after the changes:

1. Spark plugs: car had about 150K miles on it. Remarkable improvement in terms of gas mileage, acceleration, engine smoothness, uphill power, etc. I’d replace them even if they haven’t exceeded the 120K miles recommended in the manual

2. Throttle Body: cleaning it helped both gas mileage and acceleration.

3. Brand of gas: I found that Sunoco gives my car best gas mileage. Eg: continuous highway driving on cruise control at 70mph until the gas tank is at 1/4 tank. Drive from Sarasota Springs NY to Erie, PA so road was pretty even, few major uphills and downhills. Outdoor temp in the low 70s:

- Sunoco: average 29 mpg
- BP: average 26 mpg (and the most expensive too)
- Speedway: average 27 mpg

I always use Speedway now since it’s the cheapest but gives descent gas mileage which saves me money since the extra mpg with Sunoco will not compensate for the additional cost

4: Tires: I found that the best tires in terms of performance and mpg are Michelin Pilot all season (but only minimally. Not worth the extra cost as we’ll never recoup the savings from slightly better mpg. I have them only because of the ride and traction)

#4, increase the PSI to 38 40 in the front to reduce edge wear and increase MPG. The tradeoff is noise and reduced wet traction.

#5 Air cleaner. Make sure it's fresh.

#6 MAF sensor cleaning.

#7 Open it up on a steep hill doing a long hard pull to blow carbon and soot out of it.

#8 Use the best oil you wish to spend money on. Get synthetic Lube in the crankcase, transmission, and rear differential.