IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tanabe Cat Back with Mid pipe change and Cats? Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-21, 07:00 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Default Tanabe Cat Back with Mid pipe change and Cats? Sound?

Who has the Tanabe Cat back with a Mid pipe change? And/or no cats and exhaust change on back. With the Tanabe Cat Back???

I have a GS350 but asking here because I know you Guys have done every exhaust change under the sun, unlike the GS Forum. So my question is - The Tanabe has a low kinda quite Jet engine like sound, as opposed to other exhaust that have a more waaaaaaaaah, whooooooo sound like a motorcycle or a Dual 4 banger is best I can describe.

So what happened sound wise when you opened up the front with the Tanabe cat back? How does it sound with a free flow front exhaust change? Thanks. I have the Tanabe cat back and about to make some mid and front changes, including Headers I have, and the Mid section and factory resonators, but will be running G Sport EPA 300 cell cats still.
Old 12-01-21, 01:47 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Here’s my car how it sounded like with the tanabe axleback and invidia midpipe. There was minimal drone and got decently loud when going full throttle. It sounded pretty good.
Currently I have PPE headers, invidia midpipe, and tanabe axleback and I think it sounds bad. There’s a horrible rasp at 2k RPMs and when going full throttle it sounds like honda. I don’t like it. Fortunately with the windows up on the highway there’s very little drone. I been on the search for a megan racing midpipe for a couple of months and with no luck. I think the megan racing midpipe will make it sound cleaner and remove the rasp that the PPE headers cause.

Old 12-01-21, 05:28 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Hey thanks, just what I wanted to know. That before vid sounds great. Kinda just how I thought the quiet Tanabe would sound. Everyone thinks its too quiet. But that is exactly what I thought would happen after you change out the rest even up to headers.

So as it is now with the Headers, do you have cabin drone? And did the Tanabe sound the same when you made the 1st change with midpipe, or did the Tanabe break in and get louder and louder? That's pretty loud too me, based on how the Tanabe sounds quite with just the cat back and no other changes. That thing sound to closest I had heard to a iron block V8 Mustang. lol!
Old 12-01-21, 06:12 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Hey thanks, just what I wanted to know. That before vid sounds great. Kinda just how I thought the quiet Tanabe would sound. Everyone thinks its too quiet. But that is exactly what I thought would happen after you change out the rest even up to headers.

So as it is now with the Headers, do you have cabin drone? And did the Tanabe sound the same when you made the 1st change with midpipe, or did the Tanabe break in and get louder and louder? That's pretty loud too me, based on how the Tanabe sounds quite with just the cat back and no other changes. That thing sound to closest I had heard to a iron block V8 Mustang. lol!
The headers didn’t increase the cabin drone. I had the car with just the Tanabe axleback and stock midpipe and it was quiet as hell. Barley louder than the stock exhaust. But there was no drone to it.
After a couple days I installed the invidia midpipe to give it more volume.
I have heard the Tanabe axleback with a resonator delete on an is350 and it sounds similar to the setup in my video. And there’s a little bit more drone with the resonator delete.
Old 12-01-21, 06:22 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davidbusta
The headers didn’t increase the cabin drone. I had the car with just the Tanabe axleback and stock midpipe and it was quiet as hell. Barley louder than the stock exhaust. But there was no drone to it.
After a couple days I installed the invidia midpipe to give it more volume.
I have heard the Tanabe axleback with a resonator delete on an is350 and it sounds similar to the setup in my video. And there’s a little bit more drone with the resonator delete.
heres the current setup I have on my car. I didn’t want to share it because i don’t like it and i want to change it lol but for educational purposes here is the only sound clip I have of PPE Headers, Invidia midpipe, Tanabe axleback

Old 12-01-21, 09:52 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

heres the current setup I have on my car. I didn’t want to share it because i don’t like it and i want to change it lol but for educational purposes here is the only sound clip I have of PPE Headers, Invidia midpipe, Tanabe axleback

https://youtu.be/-xHNog4MlQU

Check you PM I sent you some info you may like. Thanks for this 2nd one.
Old 01-18-22, 02:31 AM
davidbusta
Intermediate

So coming back to this thread, I got lucky and found someone who was willing to trade midpipes. They wanted my Invidia Midpipe and I wanted their Megan Racing Midpipe. So now my setup is PPE headers, Megan Racing Midpipe, and Tanabe axleback. And I think this new exhaust setup sounds good. It is not that loud compared to other exhausts setup I had previously and has no rasp to it. When driving normal its not that loud so no need to worry about cops. The drone isn't that annoying to me. Overall I am pretty happy with how it sounds. Here are 2 youtube videos that I made. One is just revs and the other is me doing flybys at different throttle inputs (full throttle, half throttle, and cruising)

Old 01-18-22, 03:52 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Nice! So is the Megan the 2 into 1 design? Have you felt any difference in power delivery? More Midrange and low?

Your setup is totally Catless, as far as sound compare right? Thanks.
Old 01-18-22, 12:39 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Nice! So is the Megan the 2 into 1 design? Have you felt any difference in power delivery? More Midrange and low?

Your setup is totally Catless, as far as sound compare right? Thanks.
Yeah it is a 2 into 1 and is also catless.
I have used my dragy to measure my 60-130 and before I traded my midpipe my fastest 60-130 was 14.96. And then I timed it again after the trade and I was able to get 14.74. So the megan midpipe made my 60-130 .2 seconds faster over the invidia midpipe
Old 01-19-22, 09:49 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I have used my dragy to measure my 60-130 and before I traded my midpipe my fastest 60-130 was 14.96. And then I timed it again after the trade and I was able to get 14.74. So the megan midpipe made my 60-130 .2 seconds faster over the invidia midpipe
Well that's a Win, Win!!!! What Intake are you using?
Old 01-19-22, 10:48 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Double post mistake ignore.
Old 01-19-22, 04:00 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Well that's a Win, Win!!!! What Intake are you using?
Yeah it really helped made the sound cleaner and made my car a little bit faster. I have the F-Sport intake