IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Knocking from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-21, 04:53 PM
FnathanF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking from engine bay

Hi this is my first post so please bear with me. I have a 2010 is350c with 205k miles and recently got an oil change 5 30.
about 2 weeks ago i was driving and my engine shut off out of nowhere and turned back on a second later, followed by cel flashing and misfiring, i was about 5minutes from home so i was able to pull the code, cylinder 2 misfire, swapped out the ignition coil for cylinder 2 and that was that. Fast forward a few minutes i let it idle and warm up and it began knocking very loudly and my rpms kept dropping and even dropped till my engine shut off one time. Now when i start it up cold it knocks for a few seconds then dies off until its warm and the knocking picks right back up with any throttle given, the knocking does increase with the throttle. I have searched all throughout this forum and cant seem to find anyone who has the same knocking issue. I will attach a video showing the noise it makes. Any insight is appreciated, if i cant find a fix here my next course of action is to tow it to a dealer.
edit: i also added half a bottle of oil stabilizer which helped for a few minutes before the sound resumed

Last edited by FnathanF; 12-24-21 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Additional info for post
Old 12-24-21, 05:19 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

That sounds like piston slap and that's not a good thing. Have you checked your oil level since the change? I'll ask some more basic questions because you just got an oil change and I'm guessing you haven't been under the car since then.

Is there an oil filter installed?
Look at the part number - is it the original filter which sits inside a housing or is it some metallic oil filter (I hope not!)
Is the oil pan drain plug in place?
Do you see oil all under the chassis?
Old 12-24-21, 06:58 PM
FnathanF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine oil is just a bit above the top line probably due to the oil additive shortly after the oil change. Visually i can not see any oil underneath the car, as for the other questions i do not have access to a jack currently, if im able to get a hold of one soon i will update with responses to the other questions.
Old 12-24-21, 08:25 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

If the oil is above the top line then most of my questions are moot. Still that noise is scary and sounds like piston slap. I hope I'm wrong and there is some other cheaper remedy. Next thought is the oil filter that might have been wrong. Good luck.

Old 12-25-21, 04:24 AM
Crickets
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Might also be a loose spark plug (had that happen in a 2007 RX400h).

Check every spark plug is torqued to spec. Remove each plug while you’re at it to check them for degradation and/or damage.
Old 12-27-21, 08:33 AM
ponteley
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chain, chain tensioner.... hard to say based on that video...
Also, original water pump??
Old 12-27-21, 09:02 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Based on the 7 seconds of video, rod knock.
Old 12-27-21, 11:46 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by FnathanF
Hi this is my first post so please bear with me. I have a 2010 is350c with 205k miles and recently got an oil change 5 30.
about 2 weeks ago i was driving and my engine shut off out of nowhere and turned back on a second later, followed by cel flashing and misfiring, i was about 5minutes from home so i was able to pull the code, cylinder 2 misfire, swapped out the ignition coil for cylinder 2 and that was that. Fast forward a few minutes i let it idle and warm up and it began knocking very loudly and my rpms kept dropping and even dropped till my engine shut off one time. Now when i start it up cold it knocks for a few seconds then dies off until its warm and the knocking picks right back up with any throttle given, the knocking does increase with the throttle. I have searched all throughout this forum and cant seem to find anyone who has the same knocking issue. I will attach a video showing the noise it makes. Any insight is appreciated, if i cant find a fix here my next course of action is to tow it to a dealer.
edit: i also added half a bottle of oil stabilizer which helped for a few minutes before the sound resumed

Video of sound
Valve train noises are 1/2 crankshaft speed. That sounds like crankshaft speed to me thus eliminating the top end from source.

Take a long wood dowel, stethoscope, or even a long screwdriver and place one end to your ear and probe about the top and side of block, be wise of belt but listen to everything. Report back where the sound is coming from.

FWIW most often a failed rod bearing will be quite while the crankshaft is accelerated and pound or rattle when you let off the throttle. If that is the case, pull the oil filter cartridge and look in the pleats for metal.

Maybe post a longer video of cold start, cut to warm up?
Old 12-27-21, 09:51 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Based on the 7 seconds of video, rod knock.

I hope I/we are wrong but I 2nd this. That continuation, rmp drop and shut off tells the story too.

If he still likes the car could look for a used engine to put in.