IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Techinfo down - Urgently need repair info!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 11:57 AM
kayarepea8
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Techinfo down - Urgently need repair info!

Hey all, just a little background... my car started making some funny sounds, and started vibrating. It sounded like it was coming from the front, and I knew my CV axle was already on it's way out, but it sounded more like a bearing was going, so I decided to change out my wheel bearing on the front driver's side as well. The original axle was a helluva ***** to get out, but I pulled the inner joint apart, then got a slide hammer on the body, and pulled er out.

When I went to install the new axle, it was also really difficult to get in. I looked up online what to do, and it seemed like a hammer on the end of the axle was a bad idea, even a rubber mallet. So I pulled off the c-clip, and bent it inwards ever so slightly, reinstalled, attempted to install the axle, and repeated this until I got it in. Each time I did it, I only squeezed the clip opening smaller by a few thousandths of an inch.

Anyways, at the same time, my rear passenger caliper had seized up, and ruined my year old rotors, so I also had to do new calipers and rotors out back. Now I'm into the car for about 1200 dollars, not including the tools I had to buy to do it. I'm broke as it is, and this has just killed us.

So now everything is back together, and the sound and vibration (which gets progressively worse as I turn right more and more) is stlil there. Over the next few hours of driving, it got worse and worse, to the point that the sound was there even going straight. So I got the car back up on stands, and looked underneath again. Turns out that when I push and pull the inner CV joint body, the body/axle stub shows what I consider to be fairly significant play in the radial direction (up and down, side to side). There is also about 1/16" to 3/32" of axial (in and out) play, but from what I've researched, it seems that this is pretty standard for front CV axles, certainly on other Toyota and Lexus models. Upon closer inspection, I realized there was gear oil on the diff, on the driver's side. I had just changed out the fluid when I did the CV axle, and the fluid that came out was pretty decent looking, though it was not totally clear, which to me indicated potential water infiltration. I cleaned up the entire diff with brake cleaner, took her off the stands, and went for a short drive. Upon getting back up on stands, I could see clearly that there was a little drip of oil coming down from the driver's axle seal on the transfer case (front differential? not sure what they call it on this car, seems it depends on who you talk to, lol).

So now I'm left having to pull everything apart AGAIN, this time without damaging the brand new CV axle I just put in.

First off... any suggestions or advice on getting that axle out without damaging it? I'm thinking of just trying to figure a way to get that slide hammer on there, and pull it off as straight as I can?

Second, and most importantly, I just signed up for the TIS service manual portal, so that I could see exactly how to change out this bearing and seal. I assume it just gets pulled and reinstalled like most any other bearing and seal, but this is a Lexus, and it seems the engineers have intentionally designed pretty much everything to be an exasperating exercise in body contortions and self flaggelaton, so I'd really like to look at the repair procedure from the Lexus service manual.

I signed up for the techinfo.toyota.com portal, paid for the membership, and went to log in, only to get an error. I've tried it on two different computers, and two different android phones, all to no avali. I've tried incognito mode, I've tried clearing the cache, cookies, and all browsing data, only to still be denied access.

Would someone who has access to the techinfo site, and who is actually able to log in, be willing to grab me the pages from the service manual for my 07 Lexus IS250 AWD, for changing the drivers side axle bearing and seal on the transfer case/front differential? I would greatly appreciate it, like incredibly much. I'm supposed to take my car on a road trip for work tomorrow, and I'm really hoping to have this bearing installed by then.

Thanks so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

My email to send the file or photos or whatever is just my username plus 4@gmail.com (i.e. kayareapea84@). I don't want to put the full email, for fear of getting spam from bots, but it should be easy to figure out. If you can't figure out what email to send it to, please DM me and I'll send my entire email adddress.

Also, if someone happens to have the whole manual for any of the following cars, the procedure should be the same:

05-06 GS300 AWD
06-08 GS350 AWD
06-12 IS250 AWD
Toyota Mark X

Thanks again!