IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 is350 oem H11 lowbeam replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22, 12:56 AM
Shadowfire
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 is350 oem H11 lowbeam replacements?

I switched out my old Philips h11 bulbs with new Philip h9s did the cut the tab off the bulb thing but they are worse I can barely see anything at all I am not sure what's going on, I plan on buying new h11 bulbs but not sure which to get because the stock ones were not that good, or is there other bulbs I can just put in there that are brighter without messing around with things these headlights I can barely see 10 feet in front of me I had to drive to and from work with the fogs on

I apologize for the blurry images
, I have read through a couple of posts but it is al la little confusing for me
Old 01-28-22, 08:12 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

How much oxidation do the headlights have. The OEM halogens are side mounted projectors. They will not be much light output on a halogen bulb.

When I first got my car. I first started to read about the headlights. I ended up buying aftermarket HID kits. Though my headlights at the time had heavy oxidation. The light output was still mediocre.

Eventually I ended up buying aftermarket headlights. I travel out of the city most of the time to visit family that has moved away from the city life. Having good visibility is a must especially on dark roads. Dang deers, and critters are rampant at night.
The following users liked this post:
Shadowfire (02-07-22)
Old 01-28-22, 08:37 AM
Shadowfire
Rookie

the passenger side has a little oxidation the driver's side is pretty clear, one thing I noticed though is on the driver's side when my low beams are on the high beam bulb ids also lit a little but on the passenger side, the high beam isn't lit when low beams are on. probably has little to do with anything though.
I dont care for those projector lights the original bulbs had at least some light but these other bulbs when driving I cant tell they are on at all lol. I have to work on my car outside on the side of a road which is why I prefer not to have to dismantle it was bad enough just pulling the covers off and putting them on the sidewalk.
I don't drive often accent to and from work which is at night and Idrive along a single-lane narrow highway with a fair amount of Coyotes around so I do need at least half-decent light. the thing about these types of light is during the day I cannot tell how bright they are and well I work at night so like yesterday I switched the bulbs and everything looked ok until Ihad to drive to work in the dark,hehe
I was looking at these but I am not sure if it's just a gimic or not
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-28-22, 09:14 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Are you positive you have the halogen bulbs properly seated? If I remember correctly once set in they lock at different angles. I even had a hard time myself setting in my HID bulbs on the halogen housing.

The small bulbs you are referring to is the city lights. You might have one that has burned out. Once you remove the headlamp covers. In the inward corners there will be a cylinder type black holder. It has two rotating tabs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...headlight.html

Also have you tried to adjust headlight height for your car? This link here provides good information. Park 25ft from a wall, and take a picture from the inside of the car. Then post here. I feel the headlights need adjustment as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...djustment.html

Last edited by MikeFig82; 01-28-22 at 09:27 AM.
Shadowfire (02-07-22)
Old 01-28-22, 11:26 AM
Shadowfire
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Are you positive you have the halogen bulbs properly seated? If I remember correctly once set in they lock at different angles. I even had a hard time myself setting in my HID bulbs on the halogen housing.

The small bulbs you are referring to is the city lights. You might have one that has burned out. Once you remove the headlamp covers. In the inward corners there will be a cylinder type black holder. It has two rotating tabs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...headlight.html

Also have you tried to adjust headlight height for your car? This link here provides good information. Park 25ft from a wall, and take a picture from the inside of the car. Then post here. I feel the headlights need adjustment as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...djustment.html
thank you for replying.
I was wondering the same thing about it being locked in place properly I rechecked I actually don't think that it was but I have to wait until it is dark to do a recheck at least I am not working tonight and I have warm clothes and a few flashlights I will check as soon as it gets dark, I am hoping that it not being seated correctly is the issue.
I was referring to the high beam bulbs, not the side marker lights I think they are called. if you look at my poor quality picture you will notice that on the driver's side inside corner of the lense that the inside high beam bulb is also lit ( but not bright) on the passenger side inside corner it isn't. , it is hard to see because my camera isn't the clearest and that was on the low beam it is almost like the driver's side inside the bulb is both high and low beam, I haven't looked at it since the high beams work well.

I also wished there was a picture as to where the adjustment screws are on the 06 is350 I always thought that my low beams were set to low

Last edited by Shadowfire; 01-28-22 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-28-22, 12:30 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you post a couple of pix with the lights shone onto a wall ?
https://tinyurl.com/mrcw5jzw
Old 01-28-22, 02:35 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shadowfire
thank you for replying.
I was wondering the same thing about it being locked in place properly I rechecked I actually don't think that it was but I have to wait until it is dark to do a recheck at least I am not working tonight and I have warm clothes and a few flashlights I will check as soon as it gets dark, I am hoping that it not being seated correctly is the issue.
I was referring to the high beam bulbs, not the side marker lights I think they are called. if you look at my poor quality picture you will notice that on the driver's side inside corner of the lense that the inside high beam bulb is also lit ( but not bright) on the passenger side inside corner it isn't. , it is hard to see because my camera isn't the clearest and that was on the low beam it is almost like the driver's side inside the bulb is both high and low beam, I haven't looked at it since the high beams work well.

I also wished there was a picture as to where the adjustment screws are on the 06 is350 I always thought that my low beams were set to low
I think what you're saying is both L/H beams on. Passenger side is shining bright both beams. While on the other hand driver side the high beam seems dim. It seems that what you're seeing is the city light on. It could be that the high beam bulb is out on that side.

As for pictures It looks like ^ already posted them here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9973486

Shadowfire (02-07-22)
Old 01-28-22, 06:08 PM
Shadowfire
Rookie

it was my bulb not sitting right, I took my car out and drove all over the place to find a wall measured back around 25 ft maybe a little more and the headlights are also low, security came around and kicked me so I couldn't take a photo I will probably have to wait until; Monday when I am back at work and do it there on the shop doors outside the back, the top of the lights where maybe 2 feet up the wall hard to tell also because there was a sidewalk beside the wall which was about 4 inches height but over that it was maybe a foot .
Old 01-30-22, 12:27 PM
Shadowfire
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I think what you're saying is both L/H beams on. Passenger side is shining bright both beams. While on the other hand driver side the high beam seems dim. It seems that what you're seeing is the city light on. It could be that the high beam bulb is out on that side.

As for pictures It looks like ^ already posted them here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9973486
actually, that was on low beam, which is why I thought that it was strange, when the high beams are turned on they all light up, it is almost like there is a low/highbeam bulb in the high beams spot on the passenger side. hehe
also, I don't see screws I see what looks like long 6 mm bolts which is also why I was asking about how to adjust them .
Old 01-30-22, 06:17 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Adjustment. Do not turn more than a few turns either way!!!

2 adj positions

HID

Halogen
The following 2 users liked this post by bazzle01:
bbaugher47 (02-06-22), Shadowfire (02-07-22)
Old 01-30-22, 07:23 PM
Shadowfire
Rookie

Originally Posted by bazzle01
Adjustment. Do not turn more than a few turns either way!!!

2 adj positions

HID

Halogen
Oh I was looking at the bolt in behind the arow it to because I thought that was the adjustment because of the kind of lock in behind it hehe I will have to see if I have a long Philips I never notice that slot that ios the p[art that sucks when you get older and larger hard to see and move all the old bones and muscles complaining, I am glad I left off the covers I hope that it isnt raining tomorrow night so I can check it out at work hehe
Old 02-05-22, 08:58 AM
Shadowfire
Rookie

so I finally got around to attempt to adjust the height I found a decent place put the Philips screwdriver into the hole but it feels very tight like if I were to force it ,it would break so I think I am SOL
Old 02-05-22, 01:17 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Ive never had to adjust using that hole yet.
Normally up and down using a flat head in the top of the other adjuster.
Have you driven up to a wall yet to see if alignment is ok? No good attempting any adjustment unless you can see the error.
Shadowfire (02-07-22)
Old 02-05-22, 02:17 PM
Shadowfire
Rookie

last night I found a wall and was attempting to make the up and down adjustment because they are a little low .
in the picture you showed on here the arrow points to a spot that I don't seem to have the only thing I have in that area is a hole which I assume was for the up and down adjustment .
I really miss the old days where I could just walk up to the front of my vehicle and there are two metal screws and it was easy and took less then a minute maybe its just my age my brain isnt working like when I was young hehe I wished I just had an actual manual that had picture in it like the pile of manuals i have for all the other vehicles I have own over the past few decades .
Old 02-05-22, 08:14 PM
Jeeves250
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

There are a few things going on with your car. First, the high beam that's out is really a parking light. If you look at the high beam housings, you will see there is a tiny bulb in there above and to the side of each high beam bulb. Those are cheap to replace, but you will probably not be able to reach them without taking the headlight housings out of the car, which requires removing the front bumper cover (not that hard, but not easy).

The adjuster for the headlights is the silver bolt thingy with the notched ring behind it, the thing that's kinda purple looking, not the thing with the yellow arrow pointing to it in those images. You're meant to put a philips driver into that. You will need to remove the black plastic trim panel covering the radiator support and the two side ones to adjust it.

You will need a philips driver, a measuring tape, a perfectly level bit of ground with a wall, and some tape. Park very close to the wall. If you look really closely at the headlight faring, there is a dimple in the plastic in front of the low beam bulb. Measure the distance to the ground from that point. I think it's like 27 inches on my car. Mark that spot on the wall directly in front of that mark at the same hight and in line with the dimple, and do the same for the other side. Back the car up so that point on the headlight faring is 25 feet from the wall, and turn the headlights on.

The headlight projectors will naturally cut the light off at a certain height. This is what you need to move up or down to match the marks you made on the wall with the screwdriver and adjusters. In other words, the beam cutoff needs to juuuuuuuust be on the marks you made on the wall.

I would suggest starting by getting some good H11 bulbs, or some quality LED H11 bulbs. I have Diode Dynamics in my car, and they've been great. I had Morimoto ones, but for some reason the fans on those don't last.
Shadowfire (02-07-22)

Quick Reply: 06 is350 oem H11 lowbeam replacements?