IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Techstream key programming question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-22 | 01:45 PM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Default Techstream key programming question

Question for those who have some experience with the programming keys using techstream. I understand that a used key must be virginized and you must have enough spaces in memory to be able to programme the key. The stage where techstream asks you first touch the original key to the start button and then it beeps and tells you to place that outside and touch new key. And if that new key beeps and it asks you to place it on the seat but times-out after that, could it be that the fob is not virginized or on the wrong frequency? If it wasnt virginized or was incorrect MHz frequency, should it recognise it and beep when touching the start button? Apparently it could be battery but if battery is brand new and it's still doing that, what could it be?

Old 05-02-22 | 09:03 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
Question for those who have some experience with the programming keys using techstream. I understand that a used key must be virginized and you must have enough spaces in memory to be able to programme the key. The stage where techstream asks you first touch the original key to the start button and then it beeps and tells you to place that outside and touch new key. And if that new key beeps and it asks you to place it on the seat but times-out after that, could it be that the fob is not virginized or on the wrong frequency? If it wasnt virginized or was incorrect MHz frequency, should it recognise it and beep when touching the start button? Apparently it could be battery but if battery is brand new and it's still doing that, what could it be?
Do you have legitimate copy of Techstream and Mongoose cable?
Old 05-02-22 | 03:11 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

I programmed a used re-virginized key I bought off eBay using techstream v12 and a eBay cable, it worked fine on my 2014 ES350. I then went back later and deleted the key I did not have possession of, used car purchase and only given one key, still had another key programmed in vehicle. So I now have 2 keys programmed and the one I don’t own which was programmed to the car when I purchased it is no longer programmed. Mine did what you said, touched the start button with the working good key, it then told me what you described, remove that key at least 6 feet from the vehicle, then hold my new unprogrammed key to the start button, it beeped and then gave option to continue with another new unprogrammed key or to exit programming, which I chose exit. All went well and both keys worked afterwards. The seller I bought from guaranteed my revirginized key or he’d furnish another key. I may have wound up at a locksmith if it didn’t work to have proof for the seller, not sure and I’m glad I didn't have to find out. I’d never try to flash program anything with the pirated techstream edition or the knockoff cable but it works fine for most other scenarios.