IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

All Exhaust Setups I had on my 2006 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-22, 10:20 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts
Default All Exhaust Setups I had on my 2006 IS350

Throughout the couple of years of me owning my 2006 IS350 I have had different exhaust setups. And I'm going to talk about each one that I had and provide videos for most of them.

My first setup was the Tanabe Axleback. I don’t have a video of this setup because I only had this for 2 days before adding to it. This setup was very quiet but had slightly sportier tone compared to the stock. No drone at all. The Tanabe axleback is known to be among the quietest aftermarket exhaust for these cars.

After 2 days of having the Tanabe axleback I added the invidia midpipe to my car. This setup had a good tone to it. It was deep and was not loud when driving normal/ cruising. The drone was very minimal. It wakes up when going full throttle but still not that loud surprisedly. Definitely recommend this setup if you are scared of getting attention from cops when cruising but still get loud when going full throttle.

I had the Tanabe axleback and invidia midpipe for a couple months but then I was able to find a F-Sport exhaust for sale used. So I switched the axleback. Personally, this setup is my favorite that I ever had. It is loud and very trumpety. It is very opinionated but I loved this setup. Downshifts with this setup while rev matching sounds amazing. There is drone with this setup but I dont think its that bad but its definitely there.
https://youtu.be/iZuegmWpJnI
https://youtu.be/obJJaovRYIE

After 3 months with the F-Sport exhaust with the invidia midpipe, I got an exhaust ticket after I downshifted very close to a cop as I was coming up to a redlight. No hate to the cop as I was clearly in the wrong with a loud exhaust setup. But damn the downshift sounded so good and was worth the ticket in my opinion. So I had to get my car back to a legal exhaust. So I just removed the invidia midpipe and kept just the f sport exhaust on my car and I went to get my ticket signed off. Just the f sport exhaust is barley legal at 94db which the legal limit in CA is 95db. Just the Fsport exhaust sounds like when I had just the tanabe axleback, I was shocked that it wasn't that loud but I guess lexus had to make it legal in all 50 states. There is a little bit of drone at 80mph. I don’t have a video of this setup because I only had this setup for a week and I didn't bother getting a video. After I got my ticket signed off I immediately put back the invidia midpipe and rocked this setup for 9 more months.

After almost a year with the invidia midpipe and f sport exhaust, I bought PPE Headers. I installed PPE headers to go with the invidia midpipe and f sport exhaust. It was loud. It was raspy. It was so bad. I hated it. There is no video of it because it was changed the next day.

Fortunately someone near me was selling the tanabe axleback. Having owned a tanabe axleback before I knew this will help with the loud exhaust. So literally the day after I installed the headers I bought the tanabe axleback and installed it. This new setup of PPE Headers, Invidia Midpipe, and Tanabe axleback was still raspy but it was so much more quiet. I didn't like the way it sounded but I was just happy it was pretty quiet. Drone wasn’t that bad as well but its definitely noticeable.
https://youtu.be/-xHNog4MlQU

After 2 months of having PPE Headers, Invidia midpipe, and Tanabe axleback, my friend wanted to trade midpipes. He had the megan racing midpipe and he wanted my invidia midpipe. We switched midpipes. PPE headers, megan racing midpipe, and tanabe axleback sounds very quiet considering that I am FBO. I loved it. The sound was pretty good as well. Hardly raspy. Minimal drone. Being in CA it is such a good setup to have headers and not get cops attention. I have been in high RPMs very close to cops and they either don't hear me or don't care since it is not that loud.
https://youtu.be/3KsPoJYwxRM
https://youtu.be/VF6lvU08t1k

I had the PPE Headers, Megan racing midpipe, and tanabe axleback for over a month. I was able to find another F-Sport exhaust. Hearing Redspencer's car, PPE Headers, Megan racing midpipe, and F-Sport exhaust is my dream FBO setup. I ran that setup and it sounded so good. I loved it. Still bit high pitch but it did sound good. This definitely favorite exhaust setup with PPE Headers. There is drone with this setup. Even though this is my favorite FBO setup I actually went back to the Tanabe exhaust and sold the f sport exhaust. The only reason why I went back is because I loved the quietness the PPE Headers, megan midpipe, and tanabe had. Kind of like a sleeper sound.
https://youtu.be/NrTCzo9Sr-E
https://youtu.be/KVVSznKk1xA

After 2 months of running the PPE Headers, Megan Midpipe, and Tanabe axleback, I was able to find an used JoeZ True Dual Catback. This exhaust is the setup I currently have and it sounds good. It doesn't sound as good as the PPE headers, megan midpipe, and fsport exhaust but it does sound good. Drone isn't that bad but there is drone. Of all my setups I had before the drone here is right in the middle, its not annoying but its not minimal.
https://youtu.be/gmGB4WlLt7I

Last edited by davidbusta; 05-11-22 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (05-12-22)
Old 05-12-22, 08:00 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts. I just recently got a Magnaflow Street Sport axle back for my is250. Hope it sounds alright. I don’t really see anyone talking or mentioning this particular axle back. Nonetheless I appreciate your input on the other exhausts out there as it will give me perspective whether I should keep this magnaflow or not. One thing I like about this magnaflow exhaust is that the muffler cans aren’t super tall, so if you are lowered then it offers a bit more ground clearance towards the back.

Were the PPE headers hard to install?
Old 05-12-22, 08:37 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Thanks for write up and all the dirt in your eye swapping parts!
Based on butt dyno, which combo (while trying to ignore the ever pleasing tone), provided the best power and/or acceleration?

And does your ride have a tune / pull more rpm than stock?
Old 05-12-22, 10:27 AM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHarris
Were the PPE headers hard to install?
Yes they are pretty hard. It took me a friend 10 hours to do it while the car was on jackstands. Like the job itself isnt that complicated but very time consuming.

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Thanks for write up and all the dirt in your eye swapping parts!
Based on butt dyno, which combo (while trying to ignore the ever pleasing tone), provided the best power and/or acceleration?

And does your ride have a tune / pull more rpm than stock?
Yes I have the RR Racing tune. I have used a dragy to compared each exhaust ever since I installed headers. Honestly, I only focus on 60-130 times rather than 1/8, 1/4, and 0-60 times because those 3 times heavily depend on a good launch while 60-130 only depends on shifting points. So 60-130 is most likely to show which is truly faster.
Order from fastest to slowest in 60-130 runs
1. PPE headers, Megan Racing Midpipe, F Sport Exhaust
60-130 14.52sec
2. PPE headers and Joe Z catback
60-130 14.62sec
3. PPE headers, Megan Racing Midpipe, Tanabe Exhaust
60-130 14.74sec
4. PPE headers, Invidia Midpipe, Tanabe Exhaust
60-130 14.96sec

I know Joe Z should of had the fastest time but surprisingly I was not able to get that. My friend thinks because when I was getting my times with the Joe Z exhaust it was the only one that I had my new and slightly heavier wheels. I used to have WedsSport TC105X which were very light and now I have Advan RZii which they are only like 1 lb or 2 lbs heavier. However, in the 0-60 and 1/8 the Joe Z was ever so slightly faster
Realistically the difference between exhaust is very minimal especially in 0-60, 1/8 and 1/4. However, I can feel a difference when I do 60-130 runs.
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (05-12-22)