IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AC not working on 07’ IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-22 | 12:44 PM
koolina13
Driver

Default AC not working on 07’ IS350

Recently bought a pretty pristine 07’ IS350 with 99k miles w/ Premium pkg., one owner. AC was fine for about a month, now it doesn’t work. Radio, CD, are fine just no response from any AC controls. I checked the AC fuse under das on driver side, the fuse was fine. I believe there are a couple other fuses to check on passenger side I plan on checking. Are there any in the engine compartment that I should check as well? Need some help. If it’s not a fuse I’m assuming it may be a bad control HVAC unit, any thoughts from anyone?
Old 08-21-22 | 08:03 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Interior Fuse Box 1 (Driver side panel) - No. 3 fuse (15A) Air Conditioning system
Engine compartment Fuse Box 1 (Passenger side) - No. 26 Fuse (50A) Heater
Engine compartment Fuse Box 2 (Driver side) - No. 11 Fuse (7.5A) A/C Comp

also, unsure if the 2nd gen IS utilizes the following reset procedure (23 RX350). On many Lexus vehicles, the climate control system is utilized through the infotainment system. This allows for ease of access and a simplistic cabin design. If your climate control system isn’t utilized via your infotainment system, you can try performing a reset by disconnecting the battery. Otherwise, you can follow the steps below to reset your Lexus RX 350 climate controls or any of the climate controls in other Lexus vehicles.
How to perform a Lexus climate control reset:
  1. Ensure your Lexus vehicle is in park.
  2. Start your vehicle.
  3. Locate the **** that turns on your radio/multimedia system.
  4. Press and hold the **** for several seconds.
  5. You’ll notice your infotainment system rebooting.
  6. After the reboot has been completed, you should be able to utilize your climate controls as normal.

Last edited by ELexis; 08-21-22 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-21-22 | 03:42 PM
koolina13
Driver

Originally Posted by ELexis
Interior Fuse Box 1 (Driver side panel) - No. 3 fuse (15A) Air Conditioning system
Engine compartment Fuse Box 1 (Passenger side) - No. 26 Fuse (50A) Heater
Engine compartment Fuse Box 2 (Driver side) - No. 11 Fuse (7.5A) A/C Comp

also, unsure if the 2nd gen IS utilizes the following reset procedure (23 RX350). On many Lexus vehicles, the climate control system is utilized through the infotainment system. This allows for ease of access and a simplistic cabin design. If your climate control system isn’t utilized via your infotainment system, you can try performing a reset by disconnecting the battery. Otherwise, you can follow the steps below to reset your Lexus RX 350 climate controls or any of the climate controls in other Lexus vehicles.
How to perform a Lexus climate control reset:
  1. Ensure your Lexus vehicle is in park.
  2. Start your vehicle.
  3. Locate the **** that turns on your radio/multimedia system.
  4. Press and hold the **** for several seconds.
  5. You’ll notice your infotainment system rebooting.
  6. After the reboot has been completed, you should be able to utilize your climate controls as normal.
Thanks, I just checked the #11 fuse in engine compartment on driver side, the fuse was good. I did see a number of big fuses, at least I believe they are. They look alike all made by “Denso”. According to my fuse housing cover, the big blue square one in the upper right /hand side is designated: “AC/Comp”. Is that a fuse I can remove and check? It’s kind of tight getting a grip on it if it is a fuse. I don’t want to screw it up if it’s not something I should be messing with. There are 3 of these “Denso” marked fuses on that side. Can you clarify for me if that “AC/Comp” blue colored designated “Denso” fuse can be removed to check it and is there an easy way to remove it. I really appreciate your help!
Old 08-21-22 | 05:39 PM
ELexis
Instructor

koolina 13, I believe you may be referencing the blue relays located in the engine compartment Fuse box (there may also be a Type B fuse, see photo below). The Type B fuse is fastened in place with two small (maybe 6mm ?), to the fuse panel. Will need to remove the panel to access bolts underneath. Perhaps another member can confirm this to be correct.

Type B Fuse

Relays

Fuse Box 1 does show Relay 1 (R1) as being for (Air conditioner compressor clutch (A/C COMP). Remove R1 and switch with R2 (Electric cooling fan (FAN NO.1), just to see if R1 relay may be bad, than switch them back). I don't see any Relay in the other engine compartment fuse box related to the AC however, does show Fuse 34 (50A) HEATER / Air conditioning system. Fuse box layout can be seen underneath the fuse box cover when removed.

Old 08-21-22 | 07:37 PM
koolina13
Driver

Thanks! A lot of relevant info. You’re right, those look like relays. I will take your advice and remove and switch relay R1 with relay R2 to check if R1 is bad. Question, so I can just pull up on relays R1 & R2 to get them out? I tried to pull the R1 relay out and couldn’t move it. I’m assuming I won’t break the thing but it does pull out, correct? I didn’t see a fuse #34-50A in fuse box #1. I did see fuse #26-50A for Heater/ AC System on my fuse diagram. In my fuse box #1 where fuses #10-#29 are supposed to be there is a long clear plastic holder with nothing there. I’ve seen a picture from an 06’ IS350 with the issue, am I missing something? The diagram says they should be there. I’ll try to attach an image if I can to this thread.

Old 08-22-22 | 02:21 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by koolina13
Recently bought a pretty pristine 07’ IS350 with 99k miles w/ Premium pkg., one owner. AC was fine for about a month, now it doesn’t work. Radio, CD, are fine just no response from any AC controls. I checked the AC fuse under das on driver side, the fuse was fine. I believe there are a couple other fuses to check on passenger side I plan on checking. Are there any in the engine compartment that I should check as well? Need some help. If it’s not a fuse I’m assuming it may be a bad control HVAC unit, any thoughts from anyone?
Silly question, does it report the outside ambient temp?
Just to confirm: no fan control and does the temperature up/down button change the display? What does it show when the climate button is pressed?
Old 08-22-22 | 05:52 PM
koolina13
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Silly question, does it report the outside ambient temp?
Just to confirm: no fan control and does the temperature up/down button change the display? What does it show when the climate button is pressed?
It displays outside ambient temp. No buttons on AC head unit work including temp up/down button, fan, nothing.
I’ve checked AC fuse under driver side panel, #2, same with fuse panel 2 passenger side, fuses #9 & #17, all are good. Checked engine bay fuse box 2 on driver side, fuse#11 it was good. Checked fuse box by battery. According to fuse diagram inside cover and in my manual I am supposed to have a fuse #28-60A there. I can’t find anything there, all I see is a long plastic holder of some sort where my fuses should be. Check this picture to see what I’m talking about. If I’m missing something please let me know. Thanks

I can’t see fuses #10-29 they should be where that plastic piece is, am I missing something?
Old 08-22-22 | 06:42 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Koolina13, Replace the # 6 10A fuse labeled RADIO located in the Passenger side interior fuse box, even though it only says RADIO and may appear good;;

LEXUS IS 350 / 250 (06-13) fuse box locations & diagrams;

Last edited by ELexis; 08-22-22 at 06:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (08-30-22)
Old 08-22-22 | 07:51 PM
koolina13
Driver

Does the # 6 10A fuse labeled RADIO located in the Passenger side interior fuse box have anything to do with the AC controls not working?
Old 08-23-22 | 03:32 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Originally Posted by koolina13
Does the # 6 10A fuse labeled RADIO located in the Passenger side interior fuse box have anything to do with the AC controls not working?
Try it anyway. I' came across a discussion that the one fuse resolved both, the radio issue and climate input issues, even though it sates RADIO. It may have worked due to both radio / climate input having issues but thought it be something easy to just try.

Last edited by ELexis; 08-23-22 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-23-22 | 10:38 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

This is where the manual is handy as it lists a lot more detail about associated impact.

I'd advise you to look at it for your model year.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 08-23-22 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-23-22 | 10:45 AM
koolina13
Driver

Try it anyway. I' came across a discussion that the one fuse resolved both, the radio issue and climate input issues, even though it sates RADIO. It may have worked due to both radio / climate input having issues but thought it be something easy to just try.
Thanks, I’ll give it a try today and will let you know the results. I really appreciate all the input. A last resort I would think would be a Control Panel problem which I hope it’s not.
Old 08-23-22 | 10:54 AM
koolina13
Driver

I do have a pretty new manual for the car so I guess I’ll have to drill down a bit more on any associative problems with the AC. Just want to do my due diligence before I take it to the shop if I can’t simply resolve it myself, which is why I appreciate all the time people on this thread take to help me out with this, much appreciated.
Old 08-23-22 | 06:40 PM
koolina13
Driver

Ok, I changed out the 10A fuse for the RADIO. on passenger side. AC & none of the buttons operate however, I now notice where the AC LED panel is which displays characters ie.. AC, mode, fan etc. there appears to be a back light. There is a light around the edge of the LED screen so there’s power going in there but no climate control function. In another old post I remember seeing someone else referenced this same thing. Anything else you think I could check? By the way, I believe the #10 RADIO fuse was in need of change anyway. When I pulled it out, the filament was intact however, the two prongs were a brownish color.
Old 08-23-22 | 07:05 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Have you tried switchingRelay 1 (R1) (Air conditioner compressor clutch (A/C COMP). with Relay 2 (R2) (Electric cooling fan (FAN NO.1), than switch them back).. They relays should just pull out however, may need assistance of pliers to gently remove if stubborn.

Relay Removal video;

Quick Reply: AC not working on 07’ IS350