IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

!!HELP!! Clicking/Popping noise when accelerating and turning.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 12:52 PM
jdunavan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!HELP!! Clicking/Popping noise when accelerating and turning.

Hey all, I am not a mechanic nor have any experience working on cars at all I always take my cars into shops. Recently I decided to get a ‘08 AWD 250 with 165k miles and about a week after driving it I noticed a clicking/popping noise not just when turning but also as I’m just regularly accelerating. So I took it into my mechanic who I’ve had do tons of work on previous cars of mine, he replaced both sides of the front axle, I made sure after getting it to drive w the windows down to make sure the noise was gone, and it was for about 5 days. Then it came back. I don’t feel any grease on the tires so there’s no way I damaged my axle again. Does anyone know of any common problems that would cause this noise? I called my mechanic and let him know he didn’t really have an answer but he did say he checked my bearings and they were all good so I have no idea why this noise keeps popping up. I’m honestly terrified to drive it and I stopped once I heard the noise come back. I’m waiting to take it in but in the meantime figured I’d post on here to get some feedback. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-22, 02:14 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Can you be more specific about the popping sound when accelerating? New outer CVJ's rare do that.
maybe make an audio track if possible? Did they bill or charge for topping off or replacing front diff fluid?

I think you should have the shop replace the front and rear differential fluid just to see what it looks like, and verify levels.
Old 08-23-22, 05:02 PM
jdunavan
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Can you be more specific about the popping sound when accelerating? New outer CVJ's rare do that.
maybe make an audio track if possible? Did they bill or charge for topping off or replacing front diff fluid?

I think you should have the shop replace the front and rear differential fluid just to see what it looks like, and verify levels.
When I had a friend of mine drive it they said it sounded like something is smacking repeatedly against metal? I’m not sure how to describe it any better I’m so sorry haha, also I’m not sure how to get sound on video I’m gonna try something later when I get home and post it here, I appreciate you! And I also checked my receipts and there’s no charge for fluid and they didn’t mention anything about it either so I’m wondering if it’s that, I’m gonna call them tomorrow and ask about it. Just super confused cuz when I look it up online everything just leads to the CV joints being broken 🙄 This also is a small private shop that’s on the cheaper side. Would it be smarter for me to just take it to a dealer? I’m just worried about having my wallet drained haha
Old 08-23-22, 06:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

99% of the time popping while turning sharp is indeed front outer CVJ.
On the rear diff at least, the fill plug is below the axle and zero fluid is lost during axle replacement.

I can't not vouch for the front being the same. Hopefully if any fluid was lost, they shop replaced it.

As a side note; don't let anyone drain the fluid from the front diff until they can physically remove the fill plug. It's in a less than friendly access location.

Also, have them check the center carrier bearing support on the rear driveshaft, if bad or the rubber support failed, it could cause a vibration and noise.

Take note of the speed it happens at also. You should be able to grab the rear shaft and move it. A clear inspection comes with removing a heat shield for the fuel tank.
Old 08-23-22, 06:56 PM
jdunavan
3rd Gear

Okay sounds good, I’m gonna give my guy a visit tomorrow and have him read these comments, I really appreciate the info. See the weird thing I have to add is this noise isn’t coming from harsh turns it’s honestly started w soft turns and continues as I accelerate I notice above 30mph I don’t hear it as much it gets quieter and even goes away at higher speeds like 45mph+And I honestly don’t notice the noise unless I have music 0 and my windows all the way down. Then it comes back when I make a normal turn. (No shaking just a noise) Again Ill be home later this evening and try to get the sound on this thread. Do you think it’s safe to drive w the noise to my mechanic it’s like a 10 mile drive. I haven’t driven it since the noise came up because I’m nervous I’m gonna f it up even more. I know you don’t know exactly but just your opinion I’m curious, thank you so much again!
Old 08-26-22, 04:46 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Does it click at low speeds over the simplest ruts on the road? I installed some coilovers a some time back now. Loosed up my up controll arms then went driving up around the block. Yep the control arms need to be torqued to speck 35 ft-lbs.

On stock suspension it will be difficult to do. There's not much room I used a 1/4" drive torque wrench with some extensions.