IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Parts Warranty Conditions? (Wheel Bearing Hubs)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 08:39 AM
Jay2IS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Lexus Parts Warranty Conditions? (Wheel Bearing Hubs)

I am looking to replace my front two wheel bearings on my 2006 RWD IS 350, and looking through the CL threads I have found the part # (Thank you Jeff Lange) and a DIY guide.

I have found a few options for purchasing the OEM wheel bearings which were highly recommended over aftermarket bearings, but only "LexusPartsNow" claims to have their OEM parts covered under the 12-month Lexus Warranty. Ebay sellers seem to only have a 30 day return period.

The warranty specifically says that it will not cover: "Parts where applicable proof of purchase date, installation date, and vehicle mileage at time of installation are not available and are not presented.". The only way I can imagine getting an official recording of the installation date and mileage would be to have a shop install it, but the point of purchasing the parts myself was to avoid paying $400+ in labor for a relatively simple job. Is it possible to record the installation date and mileage myself in some way that would be acceptable to meet the warranty conditions? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!
Old 09-12-22, 08:53 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I do, as a matter of fact.

I had my left cooling fan motor on my IS350c go bad, so I ordered a new one from Superstition Springs Lexus in Arizona. They had the best price + shipping at the time, and said the same thing about the 12 month warranty period.

Well, the new fan motor didn't last long, and after less than a month, it was Weeble-wobbling and vibrating like hell, so I gave them a buzz, and they basically just asked when I installed it, along with the odometer reading at the time as well.

They were very helpful, and sent a new one out to me free of charge (shipping was free too) along with a return label in the box without anything other than what I told them. So long as you send the defective part back within a couple weeks, they don't charge you for the new part.
Old 09-12-22, 10:30 AM
Jay2IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I do, as a matter of fact.

I had my left cooling fan motor on my IS350c go bad, so I ordered a new one from Superstition Springs Lexus in Arizona. They had the best price + shipping at the time, and said the same thing about the 12 month warranty period.

Well, the new fan motor didn't last long, and after less than a month, it was Weeble-wobbling and vibrating like hell, so I gave them a buzz, and they basically just asked when I installed it, along with the odometer reading at the time as well.

They were very helpful, and sent a new one out to me free of charge (shipping was free too) along with a return label in the box without anything other than what I told them. So long as you send the defective part back within a couple weeks, they don't charge you for the new part.
I guess what I'm concerned with is the longer term, i.e. if the part fails after a few months since wheel bearings are supposed to last 80,000-100,000 miles. I think for defects caught early on within a couple weeks it shouldn't be too much trouble to file a return, but for a warranty replacement after a few months I feel like they may expect more documentation.

I am cautious because altogether the wheel bearings will be over $500 so I want to be sure that they can be replaced if they fail within just a few months. My $200 replacement alternator is guaranteed for life, so I would like to have at least a 1-year guarantee on these bearings if I can.
Old 09-12-22, 11:56 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I guess I should clarify that they had some paperwork they sent with the second part where they wanted you to write down the installation date and mileage, as well as the current miles and VIN.

Worst comes to worst, just call or email them and ask about it, and if they want a shop to document the installation, then take your business elsewhere.

Last edited by YoshiMan; 09-12-22 at 12:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2IS (09-12-22)
Old 09-13-22, 09:51 AM
Jay2IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I guess I should clarify that they had some paperwork they sent with the second part where they wanted you to write down the installation date and mileage, as well as the current miles and VIN.

Worst comes to worst, just call or email them and ask about it, and if they want a shop to document the installation, then take your business elsewhere.
Thank you for the advice, I don't know why I didn't think of just contacting them to ask. D'oh Apparently it can only be installed by a licensed mechanic.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any other online seller for OEM parts covered under the Lexus Warranty. Do you happen to know any reliable online retailers with their own company's warranty for parts they sell?