Is 250 power steering problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-22, 11:35 AM
naikey
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 250 power steering problems.

Hello there,
I am newbie ,just joined this club and wanted to introduce myself and thank you for letting me join the community, first ill ask for forgiveness as am new in this forums am also not to familiar
with computer's very old school, i hope you wont mind if i have posted in wrong tread and i hope youll guide me please. thanks

i own lexus IS250 petrol 2005 manual ,which has developed power steering issue, while driving suddenly PS light came on and steering stiff.
1 checked charging system which gives 14.4V in idle.
2. battery is new and still under warranty.
3 tried to check power steering fuse, but it has fusible link 80 amps which looks fine.
4 the scanner give me C 1554 code.
5 5 got t used ECU from breakers same part number but still no Joy.
6 got another power steering used from scrappy of IS 220D not same part no, as could not find same part number..

all these did not work now the car has gone in Limp mode revs not over 2 please please help and advise.
Help.

thanks
Naikey
Old 09-23-22, 05:45 PM
StrLitIS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it anything like this

Old 09-24-22, 12:51 AM
naikey
8th Gear

hi,
thanks for reply ,light does not flick , saw second clip but havent tried that,was wondering if by changing the rack which is not same part number , does it need to reprogram with origional ECU? before changing the rack did change power steering ECU same part number but did not made any difference.

thanks

Last edited by naikey; 09-24-22 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-24-22, 05:12 AM
StrLitIS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naikey
hi,
thanks for reply ,light does not flick , saw second clip but havent tried that,was wondering if by changing the rack which is not same part number , does it need to reprogram with origional ECU? before changing the rack did change power steering ECU same part number but did not made any difference.

thanks
TBH not so sure. I think it should just be an easy swap and then system bleed. I think the psm should pick it up
Old 09-24-22, 06:23 AM
naikey
8th Gear

Originally Posted by StrLitIS
TBH not so sure. I think it should just be an easy swap and then system bleed. I think the psm should pick it up
hi
it does not look good as now another probplem occured OBD plug not working no power, checked the fuse all fine lol

naikey
Old 09-26-22, 02:51 AM
CCJJ7
1st Gear

Check on you tube under power steering IS 250, something to do with pw steering module connectors getting cruddy.
Old 09-26-22, 08:17 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by StrLitIS

^^ It's electric. Not hydraulic.

OP,
Did you check the fuses in the cabin on both sides? Please download or look through the owners manual fuse section. It will show countless branch circuits and other fuses dependent on other circuits so you can look to specific fuses of intrest. One has surely opened.

I wouldn't have swapped the rack until it said it was bad, but that's just me. Having been here since 2017, I don't recall a single occurrence of rack or PS ECU failure other than crash damage or corrosion of the connectors.

Did it ever have the polarity reversed on the battery?
Old 09-26-22, 02:29 PM
naikey
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
^^ It's electric. Not hydraulic.

OP,
Did you check the fuses in the cabin on both sides? Please download or look through the owners manual fuse section. It will show countless branch circuits and other fuses dependent on other circuits so you can look to specific fuses of intrest. One has surely opened.

I wouldn't have swapped the rack until it said it was bad, but that's just me. Having been here since 2017, I don't recall a single occurrence of rack or PS ECU failure other than crash damage or corrosion of the connectors.

Did it ever have the polarity reversed on the battery?
Hi,
Thanks for the tip i will check and update, so far havent done anything but the car has gone into limp mode, dont know why, havent driven either , is it do with reck swop?

rgds
Old 09-26-22, 08:13 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by naikey
Hi,
Thanks for the tip i will check and update, so far havent done anything but the car has gone into limp mode, dont know why, havent driven either , is it do with reck swop?

rgds
Very likely. The VDIM must be operable which means the ECM(s) must be able to have steering control and they don't.

Can you list the two PN's?
Original:
Purchased:

do look at the owners manual for details about various circuits.
The following users liked this post:
tgifstips (01-30-23)
Old 09-27-22, 07:23 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Worth noting is that our 2IS power steering ECU sits directly under the battery. So if you've ever has bad battery corrosion, it could have found its way under and onto the steering ECU. Worth taking a look, checking/cleaning the connections.

Also, ensure your negative battery cable lead is not fractured or loose or corroded to the vehicle chassis.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-23, 03:05 PM
tgifstips
10th Gear

Hi, just following on from the above, I have a simulated problem but mine was caused by jump starting with the leads connected the wrong way around. The first thing that blew was the 150a fuse link along with 3 fuses passanger side, no 4 (10a) no 14(20a) and 15(20a). This is in the passanger foot well. On the drivers side in foot well, fuse no6(10a) and fuses 12 & 13 (both 20a) blew. Also in the engine compartment, fuse box type a, fuse no 4 (30a).
After replacing all fuses including Fusable link part no 82620-30170 (purchased new from Yam6 for £98.00 (yam6 are excellent for Lexus parts and very helpful based in Southampton - 01489-574089

I also replaced the ps module with a number as near as possible. The original part number is 89650-53051 and I replaced with 89650-53050 but the power steering still does not work with the light staying on. When ran through a diagnostics no error codes showed up. Everything else works. I have another Lexus 07 is220d and when I put the 35051 module in it, the ps worked fine, the module from the 07 Lexus has a part number ending in 020, it knocked the ps light out in the non working 2011 is200 but still no power steering so I reinstalled the original ending in 51 back into the is200d.

any help would be greatly appreciated as at wits end, no one for my stupidity in getting the wires mixed up. I have taken loads of photos of how to remove the fuse link and reinstall and will post accordingly if anyone has difficulty removing this from the 200/220 series Lexus.
Thanks in advance