Carbon Buildup NYC/Long Island

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 06:54 AM
Richard15
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Buildup NYC/Long Island

Hello,

Is there anywhere in NYC or in Long Island that offer carbon cleaning? My car has 118,000 miles on it and its been really sluggish since I bought it couple of months ago. When I plug the OBD in I'm getting misfires in all of my cylinders. Please let me know !
Old 09-26-22, 09:22 PM
CowBoE
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

What specific codes are you getting? Are there any other codes than P030X codes?
At 118K miles, I definitely know you have some carbon build up, because I opened up a similar 3GF-FSE engine of 2006 GS300, and saw it myself and cleaned the carbon myself.

You can see the amount of carbon build up I had around 108K miles, but the car was running so smoothly.
Not sure what led you to think the carbon build up is causing your misfire, but I would diagnose it in this order:

1. SPARK PLUGS
About 100K miles, spark plugs needs to be changed on this car.
This engine is extremely sensitive, and you only want to replaced it with exact OEM spark plugs.
Be aware that there are many on-line sellers on both e-bay and even Amazon that sell fake OEM plugs,
that is very difficult to tell visually, until you hold it side-by-side.
And these fake OEM plugs are known to cause misfire and do not last.
I know this, because I experienced the misfire from fake OEM plugs on GS300 just last year.
Once I replace them with OEM plugs from Rock-Auto, misfire went away immediately.
Therefore, only buy the OEM plugs from large auto-parts chain stores only.

Also, note that, people say, do not gap the new platinum plugs as they are factory set.
Well, in my experience, I often have to re-gap correctly. So at least check for the gap before installing.

2. On the cylinder that you are experiencing misfire, swap the ignition coil with the cylinder that is good.
If the misfire moves, then you the the ignition coil is bad. There are times when you could get
misfire from many cylinders, and that could be pointing to some other problem. For example,
after I did the SeaFoam carbon cleaning, car was having random misfire for 5 to 10 minutes,
but once the Seafoam residue burned off misfire went away.

Which cylinders are you having misfire?

3. Clean the Throttle Body and Mass Airflow Sensor.
This is an easy and quick DIY at home.
Gunked up MAF sensor will cause poor performance of fuel efficiency.
Gunked up TB will mostly cause rough idle and bad TB can lead to misfiring as well.
​​​​​​​
4. If plugs and ignition coils check out, next I would suspect fuel injectors.
Try adding popular fuel-injector to the gas right before you fill up.
This may require multiple attempts to clean the clog in fuel injector.
I use Lucas fuel additive every 2-3 months on my cars before fill up.
I buy a gallon, which is much cheaper, and use small amount each time.

5. Replace PCV. This shouldn't cause misfire, but it's a cheap and easy DIY but valuable maintenance/

Old 10-13-23, 08:07 AM
Richard15
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CowBoE
What specific codes are you getting? Are there any other codes than P030X codes?
At 118K miles, I definitely know you have some carbon build up, because I opened up a similar 3GF-FSE engine of 2006 GS300, and saw it myself and cleaned the carbon myself.

You can see the amount of carbon build up I had around 108K miles, but the car was running so smoothly.
Not sure what led you to think the carbon build up is causing your misfire, but I would diagnose it in this order:

1. SPARK PLUGS
About 100K miles, spark plugs needs to be changed on this car.
This engine is extremely sensitive, and you only want to replaced it with exact OEM spark plugs.
Be aware that there are many on-line sellers on both e-bay and even Amazon that sell fake OEM plugs,
that is very difficult to tell visually, until you hold it side-by-side.
And these fake OEM plugs are known to cause misfire and do not last.
I know this, because I experienced the misfire from fake OEM plugs on GS300 just last year.
Once I replace them with OEM plugs from Rock-Auto, misfire went away immediately.
Therefore, only buy the OEM plugs from large auto-parts chain stores only.

Also, note that, people say, do not gap the new platinum plugs as they are factory set.
Well, in my experience, I often have to re-gap correctly. So at least check for the gap before installing.

2. On the cylinder that you are experiencing misfire, swap the ignition coil with the cylinder that is good.
If the misfire moves, then you the the ignition coil is bad. There are times when you could get
misfire from many cylinders, and that could be pointing to some other problem. For example,
after I did the SeaFoam carbon cleaning, car was having random misfire for 5 to 10 minutes,
but once the Seafoam residue burned off misfire went away.

Which cylinders are you having misfire?

3. Clean the Throttle Body and Mass Airflow Sensor.
This is an easy and quick DIY at home.
Gunked up MAF sensor will cause poor performance of fuel efficiency.
Gunked up TB will mostly cause rough idle and bad TB can lead to misfiring as well.
​​​​​​​
4. If plugs and ignition coils check out, next I would suspect fuel injectors.
Try adding popular fuel-injector to the gas right before you fill up.
This may require multiple attempts to clean the clog in fuel injector.
I use Lucas fuel additive every 2-3 months on my cars before fill up.
I buy a gallon, which is much cheaper, and use small amount each time.

5. Replace PCV. This shouldn't cause misfire, but it's a cheap and easy DIY but valuable maintenance/
Thank you for all the tips! I actually replaced the sparkplugs and ignition coils and my car is all good now. The performance drastically improved and my MPG is great now. Now I have a unfortunate gas leak after replacing the sparkplugs and ignition coils. When I fill the the tank up pass 60% my gas starts to leak on the passenger side. I ran a scan and I have codes P0441 and P0455 now. Any idea what it can be?