IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stereo replacement options for Lexus IS250 Nav models; Android 9 inch replacemant

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-22 | 04:35 AM
Lexie250
Driver School Candidate

Talking Stereo replacement options for Lexus IS250 Nav models; Android 9 inch replacemant

Lexus IS250 NAV MODEL stereo options
Okay, so recently researched quite heavily into this topic.

Aryan Leekha
Owner of is250 2006 Prestige model

Not sure if my car has the mark Levinson system or not. As far as I am aware, I have the nav model. This headunit controls the Air con as seen by a harness which attaches the headunit to aircon at the back.

THESE ARE ALL MOSTLY OPIONIONS , I have no interest in teaching everyone what these do cause that data is available everywhere. Also side note, I hear a lot about how stereo systems will cost you a lot to upgrade etc. For a JDM car, I personally dont think its that crazy to upgrade. I have been upgrading in all my cars for under 500$ (AUD). It should be around that price range personally.

GROM VLINE V2 (honourable mention honestly)
If you are like me, and know the capabilities of replacing units in older cars, you would be mindful that the GROM Line V2 uses the same (old) nav unit. Which would conclude that it is significantly slower now (because of age), and adding some module for a different software onto an old headunit is like buying ram for an iPhone 6.

LINK: https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...n-upgrade.html

Some brackets
So I researched and found the 6.5 inch headunit brackets up for $350 (AUD). Personally, it looks like **** lol, who wants to have 2 headunits, especially when 1 of them is non usable for pretty much everything. I also bet its terribly uncomfortable to type in an address for example into the aftermarket unit. However, its worth-while to mention these brackets can come for a Nav and non-Nav model.

LINK: https://advancedice.com.au/products/1396/

Aero Pro Facia kit
Another option is good old aero pro facia kits. I would personally go for this option in every other car, but.... 1.5k(AUD) for a facia kit......no thank you. This would be the cleanest option out of all these which is extremely reliable, very fast but expensive. LINK: https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/...s250-2006-2009

Android display from china
So now its upto China to give us a reliable, quick option, which is cheap. AND THEY HAVE PULLED THROUGH.

Now, as far as I am aware there are 2 kinds to this.

There is a 10 inch Android unit which replaces the factory oem unit, whilst also being attached to a clean facia kit. The con with this item however, is that you loose the defrost functionality as it simply doesn't have a button to. Now, there is no 1 true link to this product, many Chinese manufacturers can make this for you. All you need to be aware of is that it looks like this. (NOTE: there are dials on this one)

However, I have been told multiple times, it will not fit a nav model is250,
Oh, did I say it will not? Well, there is no install guide. Nobody's tried yet, because china keeps saying no. But, some have succeeded. I personally, dont want to try as there is limited resources for this.

HOWEVER, my last option was a 9 inch display which is fairly new from china.

9 Inch Display to suit Lexus is250 Nav model.

I found a unit, which only replaces the nav unit itself, it is apple CarPlay, has all the goodies and it works perfectly plug and play!

I have just ordered mine and will be making a YouTube video on the install and info on it.

Again, many manufacturers can make this for you in china, all you need to be worried about is how this device looks like.

This unit, looks exactly like OEM, however, it very powerful, plug and play. AND retains all factory components.

However, 1 minor side note; that some nav models came with a fibre optic cable for the reverse camera output. No headunit will be able to retain this type of wiring to the reverse camera, so china told me that if I have the fibre optic camera, they will provide a new reverse camera at no cost. See photo for how to tell your Lexus IS is fibre optic reverse camera.

Thank fully, I do not have a fibre optic reverse camera. As far as I am aware, even china said. This device can replace a mark Levinson Nav model as well.

As far as I am aware, a $300 (AUD) investment into this, is quite worth it. however, there is nobody else on this forum that has posted on this specific 9 inch android option, I have only seen the 10 inch (for non nav). If there is please link the thread!

I will keep updating this thread on the progress. Right now, I have just ordered it. It takes around 1-2 days for them to assemble/manufacture the unit and 14 days max to ship to Australia
The following 6 users liked this post by Lexie250:
CaliFRESH89 (08-23-23), ChiefP (11-02-22), is350c2010 (08-26-23), Jakielopez (02-06-24), Lexterminator (02-02-24), mthornto88 (02-03-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-24-22 | 05:43 PM
Lexie250
Driver School Candidate

Update:

So the reason I am doing this, is because im one of those mark Levinson units which make a loud popping sound and overheat, meaning the amp will overheat and shut off all speakers.

I have found a culprit to this problem.

I am currently waiting on parts for the aftermarket system, so decided to play around with the new kicker CSC speakers I bought. I plugged them in, unplugged all other stock speakers including subwoofer. And now the stock amp is not over heating and plays music fine at any volume (YAY!!). If you are looking to do this fix without spending any money, just unplug the stock subwoofer and it will still fix it.

However, I will be running a 2 amp, 4 speakers (6.5 inch) and 1 10inch subwoofer system (All aftermarket) with this head unit.

For those concerned about mark Levinson being an issue. If you are just looking to buy the headunit (9 inch android), it will still be plug and play for mark Levinson

The following users liked this post:
ChiefP (11-02-22)
Old 10-26-22 | 03:52 PM
im2122
3rd Gear

I'm curious to hear your feedback once you have this installed. I've been eyeballing this exact radio on ebay. Most of the return policies are terrible though, so I've been hesitant.
Old 10-28-22 | 05:49 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Watching with interest Baz (AU)
Old 11-01-22 | 06:34 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

need to get something as well for my new aging 2008 ISF I picked up....itching to get back into the times at hand for tech. I've done alot of upgrading vehicles over the years as well as worked and installed at Best buy Circuit city and a few other places. I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable with aftermarket installs and other info pertaining to this area. However, this new android china head units I have zero experience with but I will more than be anxious and available to lend whatever help I can to the OP if needed and can. Let me know.
Old 11-01-22 | 06:40 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

Also curious if switching from current Nav and ML system to a non nav non ML dash/radio from a donor vehicle would make integration simpler by just adding the sonic stereo adapter at the bottom and straight wiring everything with a new headunit and amp...
Old 11-02-22 | 06:31 PM
jj68jam
Pit Crew

Looks like a nice alternative to the Tesla-style units that some members are installing. Can you confirm:
-What color the backlight is for the buttons? I changed out all of mine in my existing nav from the OEM green to a deep blue.
-Does the plastic gray match the OEM radio below it?

Thank you!
-JIm
Old 11-07-22 | 03:52 PM
Gravey
2nd gear

I've just finished installing the 9" Teyes CC3 unit (which looks exactly like the second model) in my 08 IS350 ML + Nav. Pretty impressed so far.

It's retained basically all of the oem functionality from what I can tell, except for aux-in for some reason, which hasn't been an issue yet but still bothers me a little bit.
Old 11-07-22 | 09:26 PM
im2122
3rd Gear

I installed mine today. Mine looks identical to the kid that you purchased. One thing that I’m finding is the sound is awful. It seems like any song that has bass has terrible distortion. Did you run into anything similar?
my car is a 07 with the Mark Levinson system. Everything else works well, the sound is just terrible though.
Old 11-09-22 | 03:04 AM
Lexie250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by inovashn
Also curious if switching from current Nav and ML system to a non nav non ML dash/radio from a donor vehicle would make integration simpler by just adding the sonic stereo adapter at the bottom and straight wiring everything with a new headunit and amp...
Absolutely not.

ML nav is an interconnected system just like much of this stupid car. I can see the German trend in the wiring

Example : I once disconnected my right read door, this ALSO disconnects the left rear cause they are in series, its like they make it difficult on purpose.
Old 11-09-22 | 03:06 AM
Lexie250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jj68jam
Looks like a nice alternative to the Tesla-style units that some members are installing. Can you confirm:
-What color the backlight is for the buttons? I changed out all of mine in my existing nav from the OEM green to a deep blue.
-Does the plastic gray match the OEM radio below it?

Thank you!
-JIm
Colour is green , but it is accessible and can change it out(seeing that you have experience), also if you are getting it from a supplier, tell them you want a deep blue backline 5/10 times they will do it on the assembly line

The plastic grey does match
Old 11-09-22 | 03:12 AM
Lexie250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by im2122
I installed mine today. Mine looks identical to the kid that you purchased. One thing that I’m finding is the sound is awful. It seems like any song that has bass has terrible distortion. Did you run into anything similar?
my car is a 07 with the Mark Levinson system. Everything else works well, the sound is just terrible though.
that a cause of distortion I believe from the increase in power to speakers. I upgraded mine before this install so no difference for me
Old 11-09-22 | 05:24 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexie250
Absolutely not.

ML nav is an interconnected system just like much of this stupid car. I can see the German trend in the wiring

Example : I once disconnected my right read door, this ALSO disconnects the left rear cause they are in series, its like they make it difficult on purpose.
Yeah but i'm talking just ditching everything factory amps speakers headunit etc and doing the Scosche kit that intagrates the AC controls in a new layout. The wiring has to be there for AC regardless of ML NAV or NON
Essentially you would just need a donor cars plugs to plug into the scosche kit (if they even plug in..not sure havent seen the non ml wiring and consequently the wire/plug input of the kit).
It would be minimal wires since all the other items are removed. If I had a schematic layout of both factory systems and the wiring it shouldn't be that hard to swap this aftermarket kit in and hardwire/solder to the connections on the kit or best case scenario wire in the NON NAV plugs to the minimal wires you need. I mean they didn't reinvent the wheel to add extra AC wires to the main control area for the exact same AC system.
Old 11-09-22 | 05:37 AM
Lexie250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by inovashn
Yeah but i'm talking just ditching everything factory amps speakers headunit etc and doing the Scosche kit that intagrates the AC controls in a new layout. The wiring has to be there for AC regardless of ML NAV or NON
Essentially you would just need a donor cars plugs to plug into the scosche kit (if they even plug in..not sure havent seen the non ml wiring and consequently the wire/plug input of the kit).
It would be minimal wires since all the other items are removed. If I had a schematic layout of both factory systems and the wiring it shouldn't be that hard to swap this aftermarket kit in and hardwire/solder to the connections on the kit or best case scenario wire in the NON NAV plugs to the minimal wires you need. I mean they didn't reinvent the wheel to add extra AC wires to the main control area for the exact same AC system.
oh i see what you’re saying, yes ofcourse!

Ive been installing units in cars for a long time now and the biggest flaw I see in the Lexus, is their choice of wires to use. Some have fibre optic, some don’t, some have AHD camera some don’t. There is barely any consistency in these cars from 2Is which sucks cause it therefore lacks the wiring diagrams that are accurate to your car etc. it’s hard to find them! (Especially for nav)

I’ve always been a believer in plug and play as i part out every bit of my cars before sale.

a flaw for your method is that you’ll most likely need a Canbus decoder to power on the kit.

as of now I would highly suggest you dont try this in your ISF unless there’s lots of knowledge online. I will try it in my older is250

The following users liked this post:
inovashn (11-11-22)
Old 11-11-22 | 05:55 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

canbus or not...I get that... but the main AC only has the same controls and should technically be in the non nav and nav unit to do the same ish. Fan up and down...temp up and down....legs or chest...recirculate or not...etc etc.
If we can determine which wires of the factory non nav control what aspects of the AC then compare the same to the Nav option, we then I would assume, be able to cut and splice on that "donor" plug to work with the scosche kit which is seemingly plug and play and has the micro computer/led screen to control the AC built in right?

Quick Reply: Stereo replacement options for Lexus IS250 Nav models; Android 9 inch replacemant