IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Possible Electrical Issues On my IS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-22, 11:31 PM
Boxlogo3
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Electrical Issues On my IS

Hi guys i bought my 06 350 about a year ago and it has been pretty unproblematic except i am having codes p2238 and p2241 for Both banks upstream and downstream O2 sensors , My mechanic replaced the downstream sensors which he said were faulty , Still have the same codes , downstream o2 sensor code did not go away, He told me there is another problem that is probally not related to the O2 sensors because the downstream sensors code did not go away with brand new Oem Expensive *** Sensors . The car drives perfectly fine and idles fine so i decided to keep driving it , Then I had a dead battery about a month later , After I replaced the battery, My power steering started to cut out randomly. I replaced the P/S ecu and nothing it still cuts out , just a little less often, I have put zip ties over the connecter under the car because i have seen people say that the connectors become lose. P/S still cuts out randomly. Also if the problem was a blown fuse because of the dead battery, wouldn’t the power steering be completely out and not coming back right when i turn the car off and back on ? Does any of this sound like a bad Ecu/ ecm?? did the codes persist because i didn’t replace the upstream sensors ??Anyways I am thinking of replacing main fusible link in front of the battery as to that is my only other option i have seen people say that could fix the P/S problem. I drive the car every day and the power steering cuts out at least once every 2 days but turns right back on when i restart the car. Please let me know what you guys think.

Forgot to mention that There is no P/S related codes , only for the O2 sensors , I scanned while P/S light was on and power steering was out too.

Last edited by Boxlogo3; 10-26-22 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-27-22, 11:10 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxlogo3
Hi guys i bought my 06 350 about a year ago and it has been pretty unproblematic except i am having codes p2238 and p2241 for Both banks upstream and downstream O2 sensors , My mechanic replaced the downstream sensors which he said were faulty , Still have the same codes , downstream o2 sensor code did not go away, He told me there is another problem that is probally not related to the O2 sensors because the downstream sensors code did not go away with brand new Oem Expensive *** Sensors . The car drives perfectly fine and idles fine so i decided to keep driving it , Then I had a dead battery about a month later , After I replaced the battery, My power steering started to cut out randomly. I replaced the P/S ecu and nothing it still cuts out , just a little less often, I have put zip ties over the connecter under the car because i have seen people say that the connectors become lose. P/S still cuts out randomly. Also if the problem was a blown fuse because of the dead battery, wouldn’t the power steering be completely out and not coming back right when i turn the car off and back on ? Does any of this sound like a bad Ecu/ ecm?? did the codes persist because i didn’t replace the upstream sensors ??Anyways I am thinking of replacing main fusible link in front of the battery as to that is my only other option i have seen people say that could fix the P/S problem. I drive the car every day and the power steering cuts out at least once every 2 days but turns right back on when i restart the car. Please let me know what you guys think.

Forgot to mention that There is no P/S related codes , only for the O2 sensors , I scanned while P/S light was on and power steering was out too.

Is it a good quality battery? If yes, and the old lived at least 4 yesrs, I'd be highly suspicious of the alternator. If the alternator is not OEM Denso, I'd be all over that. Stable power is critical to all those computers.

Obviously before throwing money at an alternator, I'd absolutely pull every connector apart starting at the battery leads and anything they touch after that just to eliminate connections as the cause. i.e. get over there to the fuse panel, body grounds. Alternator connections, get a wrench on all of it. Looking at stuff only gets you so far....

JM2C
The following users liked this post:
Boxlogo3 (11-07-22)
Old 11-07-22, 12:16 PM
Boxlogo3
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Is it a good quality battery? If yes, and the old lived at least 4 yesrs, I'd be highly suspicious of the alternator. If the alternator is not OEM Denso, I'd be all over that. Stable power is critical to all those computers.

Obviously before throwing money at an alternator, I'd absolutely pull every connector apart starting at the battery leads and anything they touch after that just to eliminate connections as the cause. i.e. get over there to the fuse panel, body grounds. Alternator connections, get a wrench on all of it. Looking at stuff only gets you so far....

JM2C

Yes the battery is a good quality and it was tested fine and also my alternator is OEM and i had it tested 2 times because that is what i thought and It was also having normal voltage, I think the problem for the P/S randomly cutting out is because of the Eps connected that is plugged into the steering rack being faulty , i think the wires need to be replaced or something because I have seen people say it is known to come loose so put zip ties to make a tight connection, which I did and it made the P/S cut out less often , and yes i unplugged a bunch of stuff to see what would make the P/S light appear and that connected is the only one that makes it appear when unplugged ,i also replaced the main fusible link and it did not help at all, still don’t know about the codes i am having, i am thinking about replacing the other upstream o2 sensors just to make sure that it is not the problem for sure