IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 tensioner pulley vibrating and rattling

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 02:55 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by amts
I'm trying to remove the alternator pulley without having to remove the alternator from the car.
Well, I did see this. I'm not sure if you've already read it. See first post link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-question.html
Old 09-27-23, 07:22 PM
amts
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Well, I did see this. I'm not sure if you've already read it. See first post link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-question.html
Great, thank you! I have not come across that thread. It confirms the tools I found on Amazon US is what I need.
Old 09-30-23, 03:04 AM
amts
Rookie

It appears that the shaft has been rounded 😔
Someone else has been in here before (?)
Old 10-02-23, 08:57 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

I doubt anyone went through the trouble. It does look like the HEX is in tact. Maybe try cleaning the area with some cleaner. It's hard to really see since I'm viewing on mobile internet.
Old 10-02-23, 02:34 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

@amts When you had the belt off did you verify the alternator clutch slips one way and locks the other? Even if it were locked solid and does not slip, its 99% certain not the cause of the idler dancing.

How steady does the engine idle? If you can balance a quarter on it while idling, likely not the engines health. i.e. carbon buildup, worn plugs, dirty MAF, or uneven cylinder compression.

Next look at the cranks drive pulley. Does it have runout? If so this would directly cause the tensioner to move. Because it comes and goes and can be load dependant, I place money on engine smoothness. Does the tach sit rock steady? If not, start there.
Old 10-20-23, 07:29 PM
amts
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
@amts When you had the belt off did you verify the alternator clutch slips one way and locks the other? Even if it were locked solid and does not slip, its 99% certain not the cause of the idler dancing.
​​​​​​​Checked the alternator pulley and it is working as it should be. Free spins in one direction and locks in the other. I also have a USB charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it has a voltage readout. It will change between 14.1V and 12.xV depending if the alternator is engaged or not. So it's working normally.

​​​​​​​How steady does the engine idle? If you can balance a quarter on it while idling, likely not the engines health. i.e. carbon buildup, worn plugs, dirty MAF, or uneven cylinder compression.

Next look at the cranks drive pulley. Does it have runout? If so this would directly cause the tensioner to move. Because it comes and goes and can be load dependant, I place money on engine smoothness. Does the tach sit rock steady? If not, start there.
Here's today's video of the engine idling, cold start. There is no sign of the tensioner dancing around and the engine is running smoothly.
The following users liked this post:
chuyrobles (10-20-23)
Old 01-06-24, 02:44 AM
amts
Rookie

Just an update.

Lost power steering after Christmas and putting a voltmeter across the battery, it wasn't getting charged and voltage dropping.

Due to the Christmas/New Year festive season, a lot of the suppliers were shut. I was going to order a reconditioned alternator as it was going to be the cheapest fix.

Today, I took off the alternator in preparation for the new alternator which I was going to order this coming Monday. I tested the pulley again and it was free spinning in both directions. Since the alternator was out of the car and I already had a genuine pulley, I replaced it.

It was really easy to do with the alternator off and using an impact wrench. As I didn't have a 17mm hex, I improvised using an M10 coupler as shown below.

Fitted everything back and all is well again.

As for the chattering noise from the tensioner, there was none. However I've only been able to let the car idle and rev up to 2500rpm for the charging test. Will see how it goes after driving it around.

​​​​​​I used this YouTube video as a guide to removing the alternator.

I didn't have to remove the ECU or radiator fan. Just the harness above the engine and a plastic shroud above the pulleys. After removing the shroud, I removed one of the studs with a torx socket for more clearance to get the alternator out.

Due to the alternator not charging, it also took the battery out. Replacing the battery was much harder than it should be. The battery clamps just didn't want to cooperate. Overall, it took 2 hours including battery replacement. Vehicle is RHD as I'm in Australia. Some of my experience may vary to the LHD 2IS. Hope this helps someone.