IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does the navigation screen fade with age? (Can't see screen w/ convertible Top down)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-22, 09:29 AM
is350c2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does the navigation screen fade with age? (Can't see screen w/ convertible Top down)

This summer I got an 2010 IS350c with the factory navigation.

The screen looks OK at times, but when I put the top down, the sun... or sometimes even just the normal daylight -- washes out the image
so that I can't see or read anything on the screen.

Do the screens fade with age, or were they like that on day one.

I ask, because I found a company that makes and sells a replacement screen with digitizer for the car. It costs $300, and I can install it myself, but
I don't want to bother if the screen brightness is normal, and it'll still be unreadable with the top down.
Old 11-05-22, 11:11 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 184 Posts

It's possible it could have been replaced previously. I had to replace my digitizer a few years ago, bought one from Tanin, definitely a little harder to see in the sun compared to OEM.
Old 11-05-22, 11:20 AM
is350c2010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zmon
It's possible it could have been replaced previously. I had to replace my digitizer a few years ago, bought one from Tanin, definitely a little harder to see in the sun compared to OEM.
Yes, Tanin is the brand that I was considering getting... both the digitizer and a new LCD... but only because I can't read my screen in the daylight.

I wonder if their are any higher quality screens we can put in (obviously they would have to be compatible with the ribbon-pin connector, but it sure would be nice)... and of course we could
put a tanin digitizer on top of the better display. (Just wondering).

@Zmon did you replace your LCD too, or just the digitizer?

I've also read some posts where people has stated that an anti-glare screen helps as well.

-Phil
Old 11-05-22, 04:27 PM
AmyUD06
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine hasn't faded, but it is covered with 11 years of skin transfer that only obscures the screen in direct sunlight. I haven't bothered to try cleaning it.
Old 11-05-22, 06:43 PM
is350c2010
Driver School Candidate

Hehe! I like that!

I saw there was a TSB for some 2010 (and a few other year) screens where the digitizer wears and scratches... the TSB allowed for a replacment.
In looking at my screen, it's well worn. I'm starting to think that the unevenness of the scratches may diffract and diffuse the light, making it hard to read when the top is down. I'll do more reading, but maybe I'll try replacing ONLY the digitizer... and keeping my screen... and putting a protective film over the new digitizer.

That alone might brighten up the display and make huge difference, especially if I find an anti-glare film to go over it.
Old 11-06-22, 01:22 AM
NeoG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it uses an LED backlight so it doesn't fade any significant amount with age. Mine is hard to read with the sunroof open and the sun at the wrong angle.
The following users liked this post:
is350c2010 (09-04-23)
Old 11-06-22, 09:58 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by is350c2010
Yes, Tanin is the brand that I was considering getting... both the digitizer and a new LCD... but only because I can't read my screen in the daylight.

I wonder if their are any higher quality screens we can put in (obviously they would have to be compatible with the ribbon-pin connector, but it sure would be nice)... and of course we could
put a tanin digitizer on top of the better display. (Just wondering).

@Zmon did you replace your LCD too, or just the digitizer?

I've also read some posts where people has stated that an anti-glare screen helps as well.

-Phil
It was just the digitizer according to my receipt, it's been a while so I wasn't 100% sure. I'd say it has more of a matte appearance compared to OEM, and I made sure I took the vinyl off both sides of it like the instructions from Tanin said.

If you buy the LCD/digitizer, it will be much easier to do at least as you don't have to separate the old digitizer from the LCD like I had to do.
Old 09-04-23, 10:08 AM
is350c2010
Driver School Candidate

Update: I've decided to go with one the Android radio replacement units. I'll use the one that comes with a frame around the display (similar in style to OEM... but not identical) and include a canbus module so that the A/C controls still work.

I see that there are different models and configurations, so I'll contact one of the sellers to make sure that I get a compatible unit.
I'm also replacing the factory amp with an aftermarket amp... so I'm hoping that this will cause fewer compatibility issues... but I guess I'll speak with the vendor about those issues.

Anyway, the android radios run from between $200 to $500, and they include a modern, bright, vivid display. I"m also only looking at units that support wireless carplay... which will be nice!