IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Install auto dim rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-22, 08:48 AM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valeoray
What's that black piece in the first photo?
That is the handsfree mic and then there is something labeled "Sensor Theft Warning"

Old 11-29-22, 08:49 AM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aeciolemos
Strange, these are all in my Google Drive, so all Google links! I wonder why they don't load for you! I can post the direct links if you like. I did not find any wires up in the ceiling. Just one big connector that feeds a circuit board with all the ceiling lights and which has two empty connectors. I am researching now to see if either of those are for the mirror or if I can use them to extract power for it.

My mirror has 4 wires going to a connector: blue, green, yellow and orange. I assume there is a harness that would connect that to the circuit board, if Toyota logics apply.

Old 11-30-22, 09:55 AM
BabyGate
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What seems to be the problem? Are you not able to connect the mirror to the existing connector?
Check Post #32 from the the link Zmon posted. I believe Pin 1 is Ground, Pin4 is +12 ignition. You can confirm them if you have a voltmeter.

Anyway, have you try apply 12v ign/12+ batt and ground to the mirror and then cover the light sensor at the front of the mirror and see if the mirror dims? If it doesn't, that mean you will need the door controller for the auto dim to work. And you should just stop here because that will require completely new harness to the whole door. If the mirror dims, then you really just need the +12v and Ground.

Last edited by BabyGate; 11-30-22 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-01-22, 12:13 AM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BabyGate
What seems to be the problem? Are you not able to connect the mirror to the existing connector?
Check Post #32 from the the link Zmon posted. I believe Pin 1 is Ground, Pin4 is +12 ignition. You can confirm them if you have a voltmeter.

Anyway, have you try apply 12v ign/12+ batt and ground to the mirror and then cover the light sensor at the front of the mirror and see if the mirror dims? If it doesn't, that mean you will need the door controller for the auto dim to work. And you should just stop here because that will require completely new harness to the whole door. If the mirror dims, then you really just need the +12v and Ground.
Hi @BabyGate, my issue first of all is that I don't have an existing connetor for the mirror. I am wondering if one of those connectors on that J/B board is for the mirror. That is what I am researching now. I will see if that thread shows that. I had hoped the wiring were there and I would just connect, but that is not the case.

I did test the mirror and it does dim just with the 12V power on it, so it should be good to go. Worse case, I will do as that #32 post says and get the power from the sunroof, which is what I had thought for the dashcam with a USB/5V converter. I just want to see if the board has a connector for the mirror and then I just get or make a harness for it and hook it up. I could not find the schematics for that board yet.
Old 12-01-22, 09:13 AM
BabyGate
Driver

Ah..i see. All the mirror connections either go through the big connector on that J/B board or directly to the door controller.
Here are what you can tab into on that big connector:

Pin 1 = +12 Battery (Blue)
Pin 21 = +12 Ignition (Green)
Pin 39 = Ground ((White/Black)

Last edited by BabyGate; 12-01-22 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Corrected Gound Pin #
Old 12-01-22, 09:33 AM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Ah..i see. All the mirror connections either go through the big connector on that J/B board or directly to the door controller.
Here are what you can tab into on that big connector:

Pin 1 = +12 Battery (Blue)
Pin 21 = +12 Ignition (Green)
Pin 30 = Ground ((White/Black)
Thank you! I think I will just do that. I would be interested in seeing where the original mirror wiring goes but just tapping into those is quite easy and I can go ahead and install the mirror.
Old 12-01-22, 09:56 AM
BabyGate
Driver

Originally Posted by aeciolemos
Thank you! I think I will just do that. I would be interested in seeing where the original mirror wiring goes but just tapping into those is quite easy and I can go ahead and install the mirror.
Sorry..Ground pin should be 39, not 30.
Not sure if this is the same as is200D, Pin 1 +12V on the mirror goes to Pin 22 on the big connector, Pin 2 Ground on the mirror goes to Pin 20. Pin 6 (if it has Garage opener button) goes to Pin 2. The other 2 pins on the mirror go to the door controller directly.
Old 12-01-22, 12:29 PM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

Sorry..Ground pin should be 39, not 30.
Not sure if this is the same as is200D, Pin 1 +12V on the mirror goes to Pin 22 on the big connector, Pin 2 Ground on the mirror goes to Pin 20. Pin 6 (if it has Garage opener button) goes to Pin 2. The other 2 pins on the mirror go to the door controller directly.
So, Pin 1 goes on 22 and not 21?

Pin 1 -- Pin 22
Pin 2 -- Pin 20
Pin 6 -- Pin 2 (mine does not seem to have garage opener)

Now, sorry for the ignorant question, but what door controller do you mean?
Old 12-01-22, 12:35 PM
BabyGate
Driver

That is correct about the pin 1 -> pin 22. Pin 22 and Pin 21 probably have the same +12V output
There is an outer mirror controller on each of the front doors if the car has the memory seat option. If your car doesn't have the memory seat option, then there is no such controller. That is the door controller i am referring to.

Last edited by BabyGate; 12-01-22 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-01-22, 01:49 PM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

Wink

That is correct about the pin 1 -> pin 22. Pin 22 and Pin 21 probably have the same +12V output
There is an outer mirror controller on each of the front doors if the car has the memory seat option. If your car doesn't have the memory seat option, then there is no such controller. That is the door controller i am referring to.
Perfect, mine does nothave that memory seat option. Saturday I will work on it both installing the USB power for the dashcam as well as replacing the rearview mirror and I'll let you know. I'll update the thread. Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-26-22, 03:06 PM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

So, I decided to install everything on the sunroof power instead of the JB board. The only reason for this is that it is easier to get power from there and I did not really need ignition switch since the power on the sunroof is turned off a while after the ignition is turned off. Yes, it was the lazy option. Here is what I did. I spliced into the positive and negative power lines in the sunroof and put a connector there.

I like connectors, what can I say? Then the first part is to put the dashcam USB power up so there are no cables. Tomorrow I will put in the dimming mirror.

Maybe for the mirror I will use the power from the JB board.
This is the USB adapter I used:

So this is the result. I then wrapped it in foam and put it all up in the celing and closed up for the day. Tomorrow I'll see about a second connector for the mirror, but that one I might follow BabyGate's advice and pull the power and ignition from the JB board connector.

Thanks for now