Install auto dim rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 12:09 AM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Install auto dim rear view mirror

Hi,
This is my first post so forgive me for any errors.
I have a 2008 Lexus IS220D (UK model, I live in Ireland) and it does not have an auto-dim rear view mirror. I found one on eBay and I was wondering if the car already has the wirering for it and all I need to do is replace it and plug it in or would I have to fit it with the wiring harness for the mirror? Or even a module?
If the latter, then how hard is it to do it?

Thank you
Old 11-11-22, 12:37 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 186 Posts

You can pull down the sunglass holder (i believe there are some screws that need to be removed first) and see if the connector is taped down somewhere. If not, you'll have to tap into the wires up there.

Can you upload a picture of your mirror? Even a base model should have one standard.
Old 11-12-22, 12:42 PM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

I think mine doesn't have the sunglasses holder. Here are some pictures. I also took some of the mirror so you could see how it is.

I figure if I don't have the wiring in place, maybe I could pull energy from somewhere such as the central light? I'm just not sure it would not be on all the time since that courtesy light is probably on and auto-shuts off so it must be fed energy all the time. In that case, maybe the mirror could potentially drain the battery?

Old 11-12-22, 04:50 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 186 Posts

Interesting, never seen an IS like that although I know they can be specced weird over in Europe.

That panel you have that black box attached to on the overhead console may be removable with a flathead screwdriver/knife. If not, I imagine the entire console can then just be popped off from the sides. You can read into the following thread on how to tap into the wires up there, I believe there's quite a few posts there telling you which ones are always on and which ones are only on when the car is on. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l-post-17.html

Just for reference, I replaced my original auto dimming with a newer mirror due to the auto dimming failure on the 06-08s. The one I got came off a 2013 GS350, so I had to tap into the wires in the headliner. I used the same thread I linked above.

The following users liked this post:
aeciolemos (11-13-22)
Old 11-13-22, 02:32 AM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips. I will open that panel today and check what is inside. This IS220 from my understanding is similar to the IS250 from the US. I will document what I find there and check the other thread to see what it can say about the wiring. I think I will fit the autodimming rear view mirror as well as a USB cable for a dashcam I intend on installing.

I'll update here with photos and what I ended up doing. Thanks for now!
Old 11-13-22, 08:49 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Chiming in to say use only a switched source or as you stated, your battery will be drained.
aeciolemos (11-14-22)
Old 11-14-22, 01:10 AM
darbiter
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know about your progress, I also have a IS220D.
I saw on that post some pictures of 4 pin mirrors or 5 pin mirror.
Wires are Orange, blue Yellow and green, and 5 pin adds Red.
Does anyone has the pinout of the rearview mirror?
@aeciolemos wich one is yours? And does the car has that plug hidden within?
aeciolemos (11-14-22)
Old 11-14-22, 05:14 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by darbiter
I would like to know about your progress, I also have a IS220D.
I saw on that post some pictures of 4 pin mirrors or 5 pin mirror.
Wires are Orange, blue Yellow and green, and 5 pin adds Red.
Does anyone has the pinout of the rearview mirror?
@aeciolemos wich one is yours? And does the car has that plug hidden within?
If I remember, i have an www.alldatadiy.com account and can look. My car is US based w nav. It has interior rear view dimming mirror with no compass, garage door buttons.

PS You guys could add a compass mirror depending upon what you buy. I've been tempted too as I never look at nav but find the mirror one easy to glance at.
aeciolemos (11-15-22)
Old 11-15-22, 12:07 AM
BabyGate
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If your existing rear mirror connector has 5 pins, it should work.
aeciolemos (11-15-22)
Old 11-15-22, 09:38 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

The schematic on alldatadiy.com doesn't have my cars exact layout as it shows auto dimming exterior mirrors which mine doesn't have.

It's a 5 wire system:
White/black trace = GND
Black = IG
Pink = +B hot all the time. Powers GDO.
EC+ = Red turns to light green at junction JR2
EC- = beige turns to light brown at junction JR2

EC+/- go to outer mirror controller ECU's 2X left and right.
PS I'm assuming it uses the same connections w/without garage door opener but this schematic sucks so the pink wire may not be present, but that would be dumb to not make them all the same.

Also, the overhead junction box is fed by light green IG and white/black trace ground, as well as +B with a light blue wire.

Edit:
Saw a link to garage door opener. It adds +Battery all the time with a pink wire to the mirror and *could possibly add another wire though unlikely as White/black trace GND.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 11-15-22 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-15-22, 01:27 PM
JT2MA71
Forum Moderator

Received 1,610 Likes on 701 Posts

FWIW, If the 2IS mirror is anything like on the IS F, whether 5 pin or 10 pin (later IS F's got 10 pin), you can use the RC/F mirror. It is frameless design, has homelink and available with or without compass. I did this on my 2014 IS F. I used part number 87810-0WM10 (no compass) M20 has the compass. Just throwing what may be another option out there.
Old 11-25-22, 10:41 AM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

So, updating, it will not be as simple as I had hoped. I opened up the ceiling console and there is a lot there, just nothing I can easily use to power the mirror or anything else. I also want to put in power for the dashcam. Here are some pictures

Where the sunglasses compartment should be, there is a sensor labeled Sensor Theft Warning. Then I removed the two screws, but be aware that there are two pressure fasteners on the top (closes to me) and the whole thing fits into the bottom part (closes to the windscreen) so you have to pull from the top part (closest to me).

In this circuit board, you see all the lights and systems available there in that console, and there are two empty connectors. I need to search now to see what they would be for, but maybe the larger one is for the dimmable mirror?

Other than that, the only other option would be to splice into the Moon Roof (Sun roof) wiring and get 12V from there. This would be a better option than the lights since it turns off when the car is switched off, not allowing anything to drain power once the car is powered off.

Any ideas or thoughts?
Here are some pictures of the mirror I got

Wiring diagram from Lexus manual

Old 11-27-22, 08:10 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aeciolemos
So, updating, it will not be as simple as I had hoped. I opened up the ceiling console and there is a lot there, just nothing I can easily use to power the mirror or anything else. I also want to put in power for the dashcam. Here are some pictures

Where the sunglasses compartment should be, there is a sensor labeled Sensor Theft Warning. Then I removed the two screws, but be aware that there are two pressure fasteners on the top (closes to me) and the whole thing fits into the bottom part (closes to the windscreen) so you have to pull from the top part (closest to me).

In this circuit board, you see all the lights and systems available there in that console, and there are two empty connectors. I need to search now to see what they would be for, but maybe the larger one is for the dimmable mirror?

Other than that, the only other option would be to splice into the Moon Roof (Sun roof) wiring and get 12V from there. This would be a better option than the lights since it turns off when the car is switched off, not allowing anything to drain power once the car is powered off.

Any ideas or thoughts?
Here are some pictures of the mirror I got

Wiring diagram from Lexus manual
Your pictures didn't load on my Android phone.
Are any of the wire colors pressent in my previous post? Like pink, black, black white trace?
Old 11-27-22, 02:11 PM
aeciolemos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Your pictures didn't load on my Android phone.
Are any of the wire colors pressent in my previous post? Like pink, black, black white trace?
Strange, these are all in my Google Drive, so all Google links! I wonder why they don't load for you! I can post the direct links if you like. I did not find any wires up in the ceiling. Just one big connector that feeds a circuit board with all the ceiling lights and which has two empty connectors. I am researching now to see if either of those are for the mirror or if I can use them to extract power for it.

My mirror has 4 wires going to a connector: blue, green, yellow and orange. I assume there is a harness that would connect that to the circuit board, if Toyota logics apply.
Old 11-29-22, 08:14 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What's that black piece in the first photo?

Quick Reply: Install auto dim rear view mirror