IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Are there any tunes for the 2018 IS300 to “uptune” it to IS350 levels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 10:05 AM
rcszn
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any tunes for the 2018 IS300 to “uptune” it to IS350 levels?

As most of us know the IS300 is detuned from factory and the 2014-17 models were able to be tuned back to IS350 levels from rracing however they don’t have 2018+ support, are mpower and d3 tunes just as good/ as powerful. Secondly, is it worth the headache to save money? Reliability is very important to me and coming from a RC350 I don’t want to feel a loss In power so will the tune really get to the 350 levels? Have a chance to buy a clean 2018 IS300 F Sport Series 2 for $23,000 with only 50k miles. Clean CarFax, no accidents. Clean title and from a reputable dealer.
Old 03-21-23, 04:19 PM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rcszn
As most of us know the IS300 is detuned from factory and the 2014-17 models were able to be tuned back to IS350 levels from rracing however they don’t have 2018+ support, are mpower and d3 tunes just as good/ as powerful. Secondly, is it worth the headache to save money? Reliability is very important to me and coming from a RC350 I don’t want to feel a loss In power so will the tune really get to the 350 levels? Have a chance to buy a clean 2018 IS300 F Sport Series 2 for $23,000 with only 50k miles. Clean CarFax, no accidents. Clean title and from a reputable dealer.
As someone with the RR racing tune, Yes. You can definitely get it up to '350' power levels. It's noticeable on the highway, the stock '300' tune falls flat on it's face after 4K RPM while the tune keeps building power like a 350(and revs right past the stock rev limit with the 7200RPM RR racing tune). The 21 IS350IS I drove for a month or so felt like it was missing something compared to my car with the RR racing tune.
There is a thread about the D3 tune that shows people with the increased rev limiter on 21 cars. You still unfortunately miss out on the adaptive dampers.
Old 03-21-23, 06:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
As someone with the RR racing tune, Yes. You can definitely get it up to '350' power levels. It's noticeable on the highway, the stock '300' tune falls flat on it's face after 4K RPM while the tune keeps building power like a 350(and revs right past the stock rev limit with the 7200RPM RR racing tune). The 21 IS350IS I drove for a month or so felt like it was missing something compared to my car with the RR racing tune.
There is a thread about the D3 tune that shows people with the increased rev limiter on 21 cars. You still unfortunately miss out on the adaptive dampers.
I think the keyword in the OP's post was "2018". I don't think RR Racing have anything for 2018+ cars yet. D3 does have it, however.

Personally, I'd say the adaptive dampers make the IS 350 a good option. The car rides a bit better but can still be stiffened-up with Sport S+ mode. However, the stock suspension isn't bad at all.
Old 03-22-23, 06:51 AM
budman1
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As a former owner of a 2015 IS350 FSport AWD and current owner of a 2018 IS300 FSport AWD, let me tell you the D3 tune is the way to go.

It wakes the IS300 V6 up to and a bit over (based on my butt dyno) what I experienced in my old IS350.
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (03-22-23)
Old 03-22-23, 01:07 PM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by budman1
As a former owner of a 2015 IS350 FSport AWD and current owner of a 2018 IS300 FSport AWD, let me tell you the D3 tune is the way to go.

It wakes the IS300 V6 up to and a bit over (based on my butt dyno) what I experienced in my old IS350.
Out of curiosity; What is your take on the AVS that your 350 had but not the 300?
Old 03-22-23, 01:12 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by budman1

Yep this is the Answer D3. You can also add the Ingen Intake for even more proven hp. Only takes a search to find a whole thread on the D3 Tune, and the Ingen Intake Dyno.
Old 03-30-23, 11:22 AM
budman1
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Out of curiosity; What is your take on the AVS that your 350 had but not the 300?
I really do not notice much difference without AVS. Then again, I don't track my vehicles so maybe someone who did may notice. WIth that said, the 300 F Sport handles very well in my opinion.
Rhydg1 (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 02:19 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Personally, I'd say the adaptive dampers make the IS 350 a good option. The car rides a bit better but can still be stiffened-up with Sport S+ mode. However, the stock suspension isn't bad at all.
The non-adaptive dampers on the current 350 are more stiff than the adaptive dampers on the stiffest mode, so it depends what you’re wanting.

It’s almost as if they are using the same adaptive dampers as on the ES300/350 Handling Package which are a just bit stiffer than the super soft standard ES suspension.

My wife has a 23 IS350 FS with regular suspension, I have 23 ES300h with regular suspension which we both swap back and forth, and I’m looking into suspension upgrades and test driven various iterations of the two cars. You’d think the adaptive suspension on the IS350 FS would be the better handling package than the base, but it’s not. The LSD can now be had individually so that’s way to go on an IS unless you want a softer ride, although all the new ones I see for sale with LSD also have the adaptive suspension plus the BBS forged wheels.

My theory why the current IS350 F Sport has done so poorly in magazine and YouTube reviews is because the press cars are almost always equipped with the softer adaptive suspension. Also the AWD ones have the lazier 6 speed and more weight.
Old 03-30-23, 03:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by BBQapple
The non-adaptive dampers on the current 350 are more stiff than the adaptive dampers on the stiffest mode, so it depends what you’re wanting.

It’s almost as if they are using the same adaptive dampers as on the ES300/350 Handling Package which are a just bit stiffer than the super soft standard ES suspension.

My wife has a 23 IS350 FS with regular suspension, I have 23 ES300h with regular suspension which we both swap back and forth, and I’m looking into suspension upgrades and test driven various iterations of the two cars. You’d think the adaptive suspension on the IS350 FS would be the better handling package than the base, but it’s not. The LSD can now be had individually so that’s way to go on an IS unless you want a softer ride, although all the new ones I see for sale with LSD also have the adaptive suspension plus the BBS forged wheels.

My theory why the current IS350 F Sport has done so poorly in magazine and YouTube reviews is because the press cars are almost always equipped with the softer adaptive suspension. Also the AWD ones have the lazier 6 speed and more weight.
After living with my IS 500 with adaptive suspension for over 6 weeks, I don't think it is a bad thing. In fact, the ride is really nice, but it still feels good in the turns.

The AWD part is true though. Just watch Savagegeese's video... the title is literally "Hard Sell", and that's very much the vibe of the review.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
BBQapple (03-30-23), Rhydg1 (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 03:43 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I think the IS does bad in reviews because it's the same exact car from 2014 with different body panels. I'm looking into getting into an M340i for my next car
Old 03-30-23, 03:47 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by swaangin
I think the IS does bad in reviews because it's the same exact car from 2014 with different body panels. I'm looking into getting into an M340i for my next car
Change is good. I went from an IS to a GTI to a GLI back to an IS. Those VWs felt good at the time just because they were a fresh experience.

The M340i is an awesome car, no doubt about that. And the G20 3-series in general is great. I just feel it lacks feel and personality compared to the IS. It feels a little vague and doesn't ride as nicely as the IS does, no matter what trim we're talking about. Make sure you get the M Adaptive Suspension, as that will help a lot with the ride. The base M Sport suspension has a busy ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
Rhydg1 (03-30-23), swaangin (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 08:11 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by swaangin
For me, I like that I could buy a new 2023 with warranty old school analog sports sedan. There’s very, very little I’d change. Don’t want electric no-feel steering, don’t want muted exhaust and intake noise of a turbo, don’t want dual clutch transmission. Do want traditional interior and lots of buttons. And for me the interior and exterior is beautiful.

FYI the suspension and hubs were changed for the better with the refresh to reduce unsprung weight but I suspect you already knew that.
Rhydg1 (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 09:20 PM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

For me, I like that I could buy a new 2023 with warranty old school analog sports sedan. There’s very, very little I’d change. Don’t want electric no-feel steering, don’t want muted exhaust and intake noise of a turbo, don’t want dual clutch transmission. Do want traditional interior and lots of buttons. And for me the interior and exterior is beautiful.

FYI the suspension and hubs were changed for the better with the refresh to reduce unsprung weight but I suspect you already knew that.
100% agree. As someone who is a fan of Italian motorbikes, I like that the IS feels like it has a 'soul' while being amazing reliable compared to my Italian bikes. (My IS has yet too annually dump it's entire coolant tank on my garage floor when it gets cold out like my bike)
I also like that it's the last car in the class with a old school NA engine and actual buttons in the interior. I get to drive a whole bunch of different cars at work; I hate the current VW/Audi/LR/Jag system of doing everything on the touchscreen.

As well IDK if you have driven the 21+ IS? In my opinion it drives 2-3 notches nicer than my 16'. My car feels like a nice sports sedan, I thought the 21 IS felt like a luxury car that retained the handling of my car. notable smoother over bumps and nicer going down the road.
Old 03-30-23, 11:57 PM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

That is interesting to hear. I drove a 21 350 FS without the adaptive suspension around for a while, and thought the ride was notable better/smother than my 16' (Both AWD).
Old 03-31-23, 07:12 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

That is interesting to hear. I drove a 21 350 FS without the adaptive suspension around for a while, and thought the ride was notable better/smother than my 16' (Both AWD).
The generation 3.2 refresh came with suspension changes that reduce unsprung weight which will make the car handle better. Reduced hub weight, forged control arms, reduced weight of springs, maybe a few other things.

Quick Reply: Are there any tunes for the 2018 IS300 to “uptune” it to IS350 levels?