IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Faulty Door Check?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-23, 06:00 AM
davidsp101
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty Door Check?

I purchased my 23 IS350F a few weeks ago and I love it. We had our first few hot days in SC this past week and I noticed the passenger door clicking badly when the door was opened. Interestingly, it only occurs when it is warm out and/or the car is in direct sun. I stopped by the dealer and they greased the door check, but it hasn’t helped.

My concern isn’t so much that the door check needs to be swapped (car is obviously under warranty), but rather the type of metal noise I’m hearing when the door is opened. I’ve had bad door checks before, albeit on much older cars. They make a lower pitched “thud” noise when they go bad. This is a metallic tick that seems to radiate up the door frame (although it’s hard to tell because I can’t get close enough to the connection point to the door frame until the door is open). I only have 700 miles on the car so I’m a bit torn up. If it is a bad door check - I can live with the idea that they replace it at the next service. However, if there’s a problem with the sheet metal where the check attaches to the door frame, that’s a different story. Anyone have any insight? Anyone else getting noise from their door checks on such a new car?
Old 04-03-23, 09:08 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by davidsp101
I purchased my 23 IS350F a few weeks ago and I love it. We had our first few hot days in SC this past week and I noticed the passenger door clicking badly when the door was opened. Interestingly, it only occurs when it is warm out and/or the car is in direct sun. I stopped by the dealer and they greased the door check, but it hasn’t helped.

My concern isn’t so much that the door check needs to be swapped (car is obviously under warranty), but rather the type of metal noise I’m hearing when the door is opened. I’ve had bad door checks before, albeit on much older cars. They make a lower pitched “thud” noise when they go bad. This is a metallic tick that seems to radiate up the door frame (although it’s hard to tell because I can’t get close enough to the connection point to the door frame until the door is open). I only have 700 miles on the car so I’m a bit torn up. If it is a bad door check - I can live with the idea that they replace it at the next service. However, if there’s a problem with the sheet metal where the check attaches to the door frame, that’s a different story. Anyone have any insight? Anyone else getting noise from their door checks on such a new car?
If you just bought it a few weeks ago, I think you'd best take it to the dealer.

In the meantime, you could check to make sure there is not a stray object wedged in the door jamb or something of that nature.
Old 04-13-23, 06:04 PM
davidsp101
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer replaced all four door checks but the doors are still making the ticking noise. Any ideas? They said they’re going to request a field rep look at my car.