Lexion Zlink HD issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 07:41 AM
samjackson
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexion Zlink HD issue

Hey everyone,

I bought the Lexion screen replacement and have been mostly enjoying it so far. I have been using wireless android auto without a problem, but it is default a lower resolution than the screen supports and you can really notice the low quality of icons and lines on the map. If I enable "HD" in zlink menu, this is fixed and everything is high quality, but the projection no longer is widescreen and is stuck at 16:9. If I use wired AA with HD mode, then widescreen works as expected. Any way to get HD mode to work in wireless mode? I even tried an AAwireless dongle to see if that would work but I can't get that to connect to Zlink either.

Showing HD mode enabled in Zlink settings

HD mode via wireless is locked to 16:9

HD mode wired has no issue

Last edited by samjackson; 04-05-23 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-04-23, 08:41 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

That's really odd. I also just installed the Lexion screen and I've not noticed any artifacting/low quality when not in "HD" and full width. If it's fixed in wired, maybe it's a bandwidth issue? Are you bluetoothed to anything else on the phone?
Old 04-04-23, 08:56 AM
samjackson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GISguy
That's really odd. I also just installed the Lexion screen and I've not noticed any artifacting/low quality when not in "HD" and full width. If it's fixed in wired, maybe it's a bandwidth issue? Are you bluetoothed to anything else on the phone?
I am connected to the car's OEM Bluetooth as that's how it works for Android Auto to receive calls properly, but not playing music or doing anything via the connection when this is happening. Are you able to use HD mode in wireless in your car?
Old 04-04-23, 09:09 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by samjackson
I am connected to the car's OEM Bluetooth as that's how it works for Android Auto to receive calls properly, but not playing music or doing anything via the connection when this is happening. Are you able to use HD mode in wireless in your car?
I am able to use both HD and non-HD widescreen mode wirelessly and there's no notable visual defects when not using HD. I much prefer the wider ratio myself.

I'm using a Pixel 4A and I first erased the original IS from my phone's bluetooth devices and did as instructed when ZLink popped up. Basically started fresh.

Last edited by GISguy; 04-04-23 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-04-23, 10:51 AM
samjackson
Driver School Candidate

I am able to use both HD and widescreen mode wirelessly and there's no notable visual defects when not using HD. I much prefer the wider ratio myself.

I'm using a Pixel 4A and I first erased the original IS from my phone's bluetooth devices and did as instructed when ZLink popped up. Basically started fresh.
Interesting, the only difference then is our phones. I am running an S22 Ultra on Android 13, with AA 9.2.631204. I am happy to hear that it's working for you and thus should be possible, but bummed I can't get it working. As an aside, have you been able to adjust the dpi at all in HD mode? I like the improved resolution but the scaling is too small.
Old 04-04-23, 12:15 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Interesting, the only difference then is our phones. I am running an S22 Ultra on Android 13, with AA 9.2.631204. I am happy to hear that it's working for you and thus should be possible, but bummed I can't get it working. As an aside, have you been able to adjust the dpi at all in HD mode? I like the improved resolution but the scaling is too small.
I didn't try but I didn't see a setting, Lexion's poorly-translated menus show pretty limited adjustment for things like that. I did notice that much, that the HD mode was too small to read at distance. Since it works wired but not wireless, I would assume its an issue with your bluetooth connection. Are you also paired with any other devices at the same time?

Or.. maybe I'm blind? I looked again closely just now, the wireless non-HD mode looks just fine to me. It pretty much looks exactly like your last JPEG. Can you take a pic of your wireless non-HD mode?

To be clear, I am NOT using HD mode because of the aspect ratio and the scaling like you said. But the non-HD looks just fine to me.
Old 04-04-23, 07:38 PM
samjackson
Driver School Candidate

I didn't try but I didn't see a setting, Lexion's poorly-translated menus show pretty limited adjustment for things like that. I did notice that much, that the HD mode was too small to read at distance. Since it works wired but not wireless, I would assume its an issue with your bluetooth connection. Are you also paired with any other devices at the same time?

Or.. maybe I'm blind? I looked again closely just now, the wireless non-HD mode looks just fine to me. It pretty much looks exactly like your last JPEG. Can you take a pic of your wireless non-HD mode?

To be clear, I am NOT using HD mode because of the aspect ratio and the scaling like you said. But the non-HD looks just fine to me.

HD, notice how there is much less aliasing for lines of the same size than in non-HD. The difference is pretty noticeable to me in person switching back and forth.

Non-HD there is a lot of aliasing on the lines of the map.

Hopefully those images explain the difference I see. Also, now it's a bit unclear to me, are you able to get wireless HD working with widescreen aspect ratio or are you seeing the same aspect ratio problem I do? And honestly, if this were only a few hundred dollar mod, I probably wouldn't even waste my time on something like this, but for ~$1000 installed I want it to be perfect. Also, my Android Auto google maps hasn't been auto switching modes at all, when left on Automatic it's always Night mode. Tried various developer settings to no avail. Pretty annoying.
Old 04-04-23, 10:58 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

^I see you're in Berkeley. I'm in Richmond, near El Cerrito.
Old 04-05-23, 08:15 AM
samjackson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
^I see you're in Berkeley. I'm in Richmond, near El Cerrito.
Lol spot on! Lot of Lexus brethren around here, see so many IS'es. There are about 4 3is and 1 3.5is in my apartment building haha.

Last edited by samjackson; 04-05-23 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (04-05-23)
Old 04-05-23, 08:34 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 291 Likes on 223 Posts

and 1 4is
Still a 3 IS.
Old 04-05-23, 08:47 AM
samjackson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Still a 3 IS.
hey it was an early morning brain fart
kj07xk (04-05-23)
Old 04-05-23, 08:58 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

HD, notice how there is much less aliasing for lines of the same size than in non-HD. The difference is pretty noticeable to me in person switching back and forth.

Non-HD there is a lot of aliasing on the lines of the map.

Hopefully those images explain the difference I see. Also, now it's a bit unclear to me, are you able to get wireless HD working with widescreen aspect ratio or are you seeing the same aspect ratio problem I do? And honestly, if this were only a few hundred dollar mod, I probably wouldn't even waste my time on something like this, but for ~$1000 installed I want it to be perfect. Also, my Android Auto google maps hasn't been auto switching modes at all, when left on Automatic it's always Night mode. Tried various developer settings to no avail. Pretty annoying.
Correct. HD is only in 16:9 for me. Which is why I don't use it.
samjackson (04-05-23)
Old 04-05-23, 04:01 PM
samjackson
Driver School Candidate

Correct. HD is only in 16:9 for me. Which is why I don't use it.
Oh ok, then I guess this seems like an issue with Zlink on the Lexion head unit? Surprised I haven't been able to find anyone else talking about this online.
Old 04-06-23, 08:38 AM
samjackson
Driver School Candidate

Had a conversation with Lexion support, they said their engineers confirmed this is an issue with HD mode for Android Auto and said CarPlay HD mode works. So, it seems like a bug with Zlink. They said they'd follow up if they find any fixes. I emailed zjinnova the creator of Zlink5 about the issue and will report back here any updates.
Old 04-07-23, 01:02 AM
Lexion Automotive
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello!

For those wondering about mentioned issues with HD mode on Android Auto, the HD mode is a high-definition mode, and the displayed image is finer, but based on the limitation of wireless transmission bandwidth, AA will reduce the resolution so that the entire picture can be transmitted. Therefore, the resolution of AA will be reduced when the HD mode is turned on, because the picture is finer, and if it is high resolution, the transmission will be incomplete, hence causing the display screen to become smaller. Apple's video encoding method is still more powerful, and it can use the existing wireless bandwidth to transmit finer images.

Let's hope Android Auto may make some improvements to be like Apple Carplay? We will definitely checking on this regularly

Thanks @samjackson by the way!

Quick Reply: Lexion Zlink HD issue