IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Transmission Service for Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 05:05 AM
Lukewarm
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission Service for Lexus IS

I see a lot of opinions on if/when you should have your transmission serviced. Lexus uses a “lifetime” transmission fluid that is not supposed to be touched unless you are having transmission problems. In my opinion, it doesn’t make total sense. I have a hard time thinking any fluid is good for a vehicle’s “lifetime”. However, I do find it difficult to deviate from the suggested maintenance from the engineers who built the car and know it inside and out. I’m a logistician who works very closely with navy engineers every day. Engineers who develop systems (like a car) know what they are talking about regarding maintaining a system.

That being said, is there anyone who has never had their transmission fluid replaced but still achieved high miles and limited issues? Please reply with your odometer reading, I’m trying to prove a point.

Can you still hit over 200k miles without ever servicing your transmission?

Side note: My car has around 75k miles. I spoke to 4 Lexus service centers, 3 Toyota service centers, and 2 independent transmission shops and everyone told me not to let anyone touch the transmission unless you begin having problems. Mostly everyone on the internet says to drain and fill your transmission every 30-50k miles but I find it hard to believe with the research I’ve done.
Old 04-26-23, 10:39 AM
richieca
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say change it at 30-50k there is not such thing as lifetime lubrication imo. Most Lexus and Toyota service center will say what corporate tells them otherwise it creates a whole back and forth and consumers are litigious. Previous Lexus I owned didnt change the fluid till 100k because of slow shifting it helped but the damage was done it never shifted like new and the fluid was very burnt.
The following users liked this post:
Lukewarm (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 01:05 PM
Lukewarm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by richieca
I would say change it at 30-50k there is not such thing as lifetime lubrication imo. Most Lexus and Toyota service center will say what corporate tells them otherwise it creates a whole back and forth and consumers are litigious. Previous Lexus I owned didnt change the fluid till 100k because of slow shifting it helped but the damage was done it never shifted like new and the fluid was very burnt.
Was the previous Lexus you had an IS or car with the 6 speed automatic? Also, what was your service history like on that car?
Old 04-26-23, 02:47 PM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard that drain and fill is the way to go and to never do a full flush unless under certain circumstances. There is a video on YouTube of a Toyota/Lexus mechanic who recommends drain and refills every 6 years or 60k miles. I currently have 27k on my 2014, seeing as how next year my car will be a decade old, I'm thinking about doing a drain and refill then. Or perhaps even waiting till 40k or 50k miles, just haven't decided yet.
Lukewarm (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 02:54 PM
richieca
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukewarm
Was the previous Lexus you had an IS or car with the 6 speed automatic? Also, what was your service history like on that car?
It was an 2010 ES not sure if thats the same trans on the IS. Followed all the factory maintenance suggestions on that model.
Lukewarm (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 03:01 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Can you go the life of the car without fluid change yes. Will changing the fluid harm the car no. It will come down to you what you think you’re comfortable with. As high mile my wife 08 is250 first transmission drain was at 180k. Had no issues with shifting. Even after the change still felt the same. Only reason it was change due to we sold the car to her sister. Her sister husband made a mistake draining the trans fluid instead of the oil change . So I hand to put back what he mistakenly drained out.
Lukewarm (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 03:29 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I see a lot of opinions on if/when you should have your transmission serviced. Lexus uses a “lifetime” transmission fluid that is not supposed to be touched unless you are having transmission problems. In my opinion, it doesn’t make total sense. I have a hard time thinking any fluid is good for a vehicle’s “lifetime”. However, I do find it difficult to deviate from the suggested maintenance from the engineers who built the car and know it inside and out. I’m a logistician who works very closely with navy engineers every day. Engineers who develop systems (like a car) know what they are talking about regarding maintaining a system.

That being said, is there anyone who has never had their transmission fluid replaced but still achieved high miles and limited issues? Please reply with your odometer reading, I’m trying to prove a point.

Can you still hit over 200k miles without ever servicing your transmission?

Side note: My car has around 75k miles. I spoke to 4 Lexus service centers, 3 Toyota service centers, and 2 independent transmission shops and everyone told me not to let anyone touch the transmission unless you begin having problems. Mostly everyone on the internet says to drain and fill your transmission every 30-50k miles but I find it hard to believe with the research I’ve done.
What's the point here? To make you feel better about not doing the Trans fluid? You have already stated - "but I find it hard to believe with the research I’ve done."

Just don't do it. If you are looking for 200k without a Trans problem go ask the service centers and Trans shops if they will replace it if you have a problem up to 200K? See if they keep that same don't energy. That's a better question to ask.
Old 04-26-23, 04:48 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 294 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
Her sister husband made a mistake draining the trans fluid instead of the oil change .
Old 04-26-23, 05:47 PM
Lukewarm
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear you hit 180k without issues!
Old 04-26-23, 05:52 PM
Lukewarm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgscott
What's the point here? To make you feel better about not doing the Trans fluid? You have already stated - "but I find it hard to believe with the research I’ve done."

Just don't do it. If you are looking for 200k without a Trans problem go ask the service centers and Trans shops if they will replace it if you have a problem up to 200K? See if they keep that same don't energy. That's a better question to ask.
Maybe I wasn't super clear in my initial post, but the information that I'm looking for is "Can you still hit over 200k miles without ever servicing your transmission?" and "Is there anyone who has never had their transmission fluid replaced but still achieved high miles and limited issues?"

It's not that I'm trying to justify a decision, I just want to hear what other people have experienced. A lot of my research showed that people do drain and fill their trans fluid...but how long do their cars last in doing so? How long to people's cars last who never change their fluid?

I also wanted to share my experience and findings on this topic. I was surprised that the independent transmission shops also told me not to worry about servicing the trans unless there was a leak or obvious shifting problem.
jgscott (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 06:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

This topic has been beaten to death, brought back from the dead then beaten to death again.

Here is what I know for certain. A transmission that is serviced on the regular will almost never fail. Every transmission you see that did fail very likely never had fluid changes.
The following 5 users liked this post by LeX2K:
arentz07 (04-26-23), GNS (04-29-23), jgscott (04-26-23), Lukewarm (04-26-23), PersianOne (04-27-23)
Old 04-26-23, 06:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Maybe I wasn't super clear in my initial post, but the information that I'm looking for is "Can you still hit over 200k miles without ever servicing your transmission?" and "Is there anyone who has never had their transmission fluid replaced but still achieved high miles and limited issues?"

It's not that I'm trying to justify a decision, I just want to hear what other people have experienced. A lot of my research showed that people do drain and fill their trans fluid...but how long do their cars last in doing so? How long to people's cars last who never change their fluid?

I also wanted to share my experience and findings on this topic. I was surprised that the independent transmission shops also told me not to worry about servicing the trans unless there was a leak or obvious shifting problem.
Another quote if I may from your 1st post: " Engineers who develop systems (like a car) know what they are talking about regarding maintaining a system." Aisin is a Toyota group company.

Some will make it 200k maybe. Some will not. Most have Not bought thier IS new and driven as 1 owner 200k to get a accurate data point.
The following 4 users liked this post by jgscott:
arentz07 (04-26-23), LeX2K (04-26-23), Lukewarm (04-26-23), nitroracer (05-08-23)
Old 04-26-23, 10:10 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--

I would think that it's a lot like comparing someone driving around town like a taxi, someone driving like they stole it, or someone who only uses their car for leisure vacations. Who do you think will wear everything out on the whole car fastest? If you want to be safest, you treat your oils like the hard driver, but drive like you're on vacation.

--
Old 04-27-23, 05:32 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

I have done mine at 3x and car is now sitting at 150k (bought at 30k). Lexus did it for me charged me $160 for drain and refill.

No brainer if you plan on keeping it for a long time without issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by JNP1227:
arentz07 (04-27-23), LeX2K (04-28-23)
Old 04-27-23, 07:46 AM
Lukewarm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

I would think that it's a lot like comparing someone driving around town like a taxi, someone driving like they stole it, or someone who only uses their car for leisure vacations. Who do you think will wear everything out on the whole car fastest? If you want to be safest, you treat your oils like the hard driver, but drive like you're on vacation.

--
Great point. I wish I knew how the previous owner of my car drove it lol. I can only judge by it’s great condition and awesome service record that they probably took care of the car well.

Quick Reply: Transmission Service for Lexus IS