IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bolt-on Performance Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-23, 05:19 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Frankenstein motor works just recently took a 2GR-FE to 400 whp on ethanol, NA, but dude makes his own parts and it was using a aftermarket ECU, custom plenum, intake, injectors , etc. I watched the video. The 2GR-FSE and to a lesser extent the -FKS have pontential, but it ain't cheap and if it is you must be a master mechanic. It's just that the average Lexus buyer isn't looking for additional performance so there isn't a market
The following 2 users liked this post by bob256k:
JNP1227 (05-04-23), PSGT4 (05-29-23)
Old 05-04-23, 07:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by daisey350
Hey guys, I'm likely beating a dead horse here but I wanted to open a discussion around my planned build, both to collect feedback before I start and also to post results after completed.

I have a 2020 IS350 AWD. In a perfect world, my goal would be 350 crank horsepower. I also care about sound, shedding weight, and overall cost/performance ratio. Here is what I have in mind:

RR Racing Carbon intake tube with K&N filter, and potentially modding airbox to create a larger opening
Magnaflow high-flow cats
Remark axle-back exhaust (muffler delete)
RIPP High output coil packs
Performance spark plug wires (haven't sourced a set yet)
Brisk Premium LGS sparkplugs (bigger gap to take advantage of coil packs)
D3 Performance tune
93 Octane Fuel

Initial thoughts?

My only concern with this build is how the D3 tune might interact with different coils and plugs. Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm not sure if I wil have the chance to dyno it before the mods (going to try) but I will absolutely get it dyno'd at some point after. the D3 tuner has the ability to load custom tunes, so I may take it to a respectable shop with a dyno and see what they can do.

Cheers
For perspective the 2GR will dyno stock 240- 260ish hp. 400hp is a 150hp gain. With the percentage of gain from stock that's a big gain. Especially with just air flow and Tune changes. Now here's the problem many don't get. There is a old saying that goes, what can I do to get faster and increase my performance? The answer boils down to how much performance, how much faster and how much do you want to spend? I guess most here don't understand that, yes it does cost money to get there, on just about any motor. Your other option comparing apples to apples is to trade for a equal year Lexus F car V8. How much will that cost? A IS350 owner with the RR S/C ran his bothers modded ISF and beat it, with a what.... $8k mod?

Frankenstein motor works just basically did custom Intake ( you could buy one on ebay for $150). Cams $1100, Headers, and a Custom Tune. I have not seen to many motors that you get a 40% - 50% gain out of that does not cost some money to get there. Even if there was a big Market that kind of hp increase would cost you about the same.

In regards to my reply to the original op above asking - "Initial thoughts"? Here's my opinion and experience in modding and bolts on's including Nitrous I have run on 2 previous Lexus I owned some years back. For the Lexus 2GR. The things I bolded above will help you with some nice gains. You will definitely like the difference you feel. I would lose the Brisk plugs for Factory or NGK 1 step colder to help with Ignition timing advance of a nice Tune gain. I would include having the Upper and Lower Intake Manifold flow bench port matched. Also the TB very enlarged slightly. Also forget the RR Carbon intake tube. Go Full AEM Cone or Injen Cone. D3 has the tune option for it and it gains more hp.

If you have not talked to a few Tuners who have dyno'd that Motor 2-300 time or more, then instead take the advise of those who have not, done the Mods, or spoken with someone who Tunes or has who does Not know. I'm about to post my own results in a month or 2 on my 2GR 350 motor, I'm just fighting a MAF change, then I'm going to reveal some really nice results from my 2GR. Now everyone is welcome to say it won't work.

There are a few surprisingly quick IS350's out there being they seem to mod the cars more. Faster than they really should be based on paper. Keep looking and research what works. Some are here on CL, others out there not on CL. Some don't even post due to the "it wont work crowd". Seems there are not too many IS3's because everything just gets shot down if you mention trying. It is true that if you don't do anything... it won't work.
The following users liked this post:
JNP1227 (05-05-23)
Old 05-04-23, 08:07 PM
daisey350
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
For perspective the 2GR will dyno stock 240- 260ish hp. 400hp is a 150hp gain. With the percentage of gain from stock that's a big gain. Especially with just air flow and Tune changes. Now here's the problem many don't get. There is a old saying that goes, what can I do to get faster and increase my performance? The answer boils down to how much performance, how much faster and how much do you want to spend? I guess most here don't understand that, yes it does cost money to get there, on just about any motor. Your other option comparing apples to apples is to trade for a equal year Lexus F car V8. How much will that cost? A IS350 owner with the RR S/C ran his bothers modded ISF and beat it, with a what.... $8k mod?

Frankenstein motor works just basically did custom Intake ( you could buy one on ebay for $150). Cams $1100, Headers, and a Custom Tune. I have not seen to many motors that you get a 40% - 50% gain out of that does not cost some money to get there. Even if there was a big Market that kind of hp increase would cost you about the same.

In regards to my reply to the original op above asking - "Initial thoughts"? Here's my opinion and experience in modding and bolts on's including Nitrous I have run on 2 previous Lexus I owned some years back. For the Lexus 2GR. The things I bolded above will help you with some nice gains. You will definitely like the difference you feel. I would lose the Brisk plugs for Factory or NGK 1 step colder to help with Ignition timing advance of a nice Tune gain. I would include having the Upper and Lower Intake Manifold flow bench port matched. Also the TB very enlarged slightly. Also forget the RR Carbon intake tube. Go Full AEM Cone or Injen Cone. D3 has the tune option for it and it gains more hp.

If you have not talked to a few Tuners who have dyno'd that Motor 2-300 time or more, then instead take the advise of those who have not, done the Mods, or spoken with someone who Tunes or has who does Not know. I'm about to post my own results in a month or 2 on my 2GR 350 motor, I'm just fighting a MAF change, then I'm going to reveal some really nice results from my 2GR. Now everyone is welcome to say it won't work.

There are a few surprisingly quick IS350's out there being they seem to mod the cars more. Faster than they really should be based on paper. Keep looking and research what works. Some are here on CL, others out there not on CL. Some don't even post due to the "it wont work crowd". Seems there are not too many IS3's because everything just gets shot down if you mention trying. It is true that if you don't do anything... it won't work.
I really appreciate this information my dude. I love this car and this engine, and I think it has some potential. Like I’ve said before, not looking for the fasted car on the road, just want to make this car the best it can be. I do plan on supercharging eventually. I’d buy an IS500 in a heartbeat but I’m in northern Canada and need AWD for my daily.

So with the feedback I’ve gotten I’ve rethought my list a little bit. I’d love some feed on this.
  • D3 Tune
  • PPE catless headers
  • Invidia Q300 or Fsport performance exhaust
  • RR carbon intake with cone filter (will check fitment)
  • NGK 1 step colder plugs
  • NGK plug wires
  • High output coil packs (undecided on this, getting mixed info)
  • 93 Octane fuel
  • Possibly a mid-pipe/X-pipe

Also getting the RR LCA bushings and already have 20mm wheel spacers.

Really like the carbon intake tube so I’m going to see if a good cone filter will fit on it.

Suggestions on larger TB?

I’ve also seen an intake manifold spacer for the 2gr-fks in the Tacoma. I wonder if this will fit?

Cheers, thanks again

Old 05-05-23, 08:39 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I really appreciate this information my dude. I love this car and this engine, and I think it has some potential. Like I’ve said before, not looking for the fasted car on the road, just want to make this car the best it can be. I do plan on supercharging eventually. I’d buy an IS500 in a heartbeat but I’m in northern Canada and need AWD for my daily.

So with the feedback I’ve gotten I’ve rethought my list a little bit. I’d love some feed on this.
  • D3 Tune
  • PPE catless headers
  • Invidia Q300 or Fsport performance exhaust
  • RR carbon intake with cone filter (will check fitment)
  • NGK 1 step colder plugs
  • NGK plug wires
  • High output coil packs (undecided on this, getting mixed info)
  • 93 Octane fuel
  • Possibly a mid-pipe/X-pipe

Also getting the RR LCA bushings and already have 20mm wheel spacers.

Really like the carbon intake tube so I’m going to see if a good cone filter will fit on it.

Suggestions on larger TB?

I’ve also seen an intake manifold spacer for the 2gr-fks in the Tacoma. I wonder if this will fit?

Cheers, thanks again
For the TB send to Maxbore or SoCal Porting. Yes do the Coils, it's not a waste of time. They work,
I have no idea what plug wires you are referring too?
I don't know the Midpipe setup of the 3rg Gen IS350 but opening up there does help with the other changes.
If you are stuck on the RR Carbon tube then see the the Lexus F Sport air box will work on you IS. IDK? The Full Cone is going to give you more hp with the increase air flow. The F Sport Box allows more air for stock airbox.
The thing you are missing to take full advantage is the Upper/Lower Intake Mani porting.

It's all about increasing as much air flow in and out, along with a hotter ignition complete fuel burn, and the Tune for a/f and Timing. So yes to all you listed but, the additions and exception I have mentioned. None are a waste of time or money if you have the time and money. Like I said before most won't post about what works that have done, because it's always shot down by those who have not tried, or do not look for the actual resources out there. I have most of the Mods mentioned on my 13 GS350 with the D3 Tune, but still sorting out some air flow changes to get even more gains.

The 2GR is not much different with what works across the different configurations out there. There are bolt on's with tunes out there over 330 dyno'd. Peak hp is just not the only thing to look at. Some mods produced much more tq, and 30+ hp in the midrange rpm band. Here a ex. below. There was about a 60hp peak gain. Baseline Dyno on these Camry's was about 230hp to start. Still did not have all the Mods like Intake porting and other. This was Not $5k to get 50-60 hp. Many have installed their own Headers in their garage with a friend to save money. But its not a simple job, but doable still. My advise to you is to just keeping researching. Lot's out there if you take the time to see who did what that did do something.

Old 05-28-23, 06:41 AM
Jourdan32
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I'm likely beating a dead horse here but I wanted to open a discussion around my planned build, both to collect feedback before I start and also to post results after completed.

I have a 2020 IS350 AWD. In a perfect world, my goal would be 350 crank horsepower. I also care about sound, shedding weight, and overall cost/performance ratio. Here is what I have in mind:

RR Racing Carbon intake tube with K&N filter, and potentially modding airbox to create a larger opening
Magnaflow high-flow cats
Remark axle-back exhaust (muffler delete)
RIPP High output coil packs
Performance spark plug wires (haven't sourced a set yet)
Brisk Premium LGS sparkplugs (bigger gap to take advantage of coil packs)
D3 Performance tune
93 Octane Fuel

Initial thoughts?

My only concern with this build is how the D3 tune might interact with different coils and plugs. Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm not sure if I wil have the chance to dyno it before the mods (going to try) but I will absolutely get it dyno'd at some point after. the D3 tuner has the ability to load custom tunes, so I may take it to a respectable shop with a dyno and see what they can do.

Cheers
So I have a 2017 IS350 AWD my current mod list
PPE Headers
Ported Upper and Lower Manifold
76mm Throttle body
Ripp high spark coil packs
Takeda Intake
Light weight water pump and crank pulley
BC Racing Coilovers
RR Racing tune.
I definitely recommend all of the mods listed above the only thing I would kinda be iffy on is the Ripp coil packs, not because of the “performance” but because I’ve had a coil pack cause a misfire. I would replace them one at a time as they go out. Luckily I had a friend who had a spare set laying around so I just bought it cheap from him and replace one at a time as the go out. I’ve heard some people not have any issues with them at all. I think it’s just hit or miss with them. I do feel a difference in the Higher RPMs but I don’t know if it would be worth the hassle. Another side note I would check out a tune By “TunedbyLoi” heard his tunes are superior to RR Racing. I’m getting tuned by him in like a month or 2. I haven’t got my dyno tune results due to not having a AWD dyno near me, all I have are dragy times but the best 0-60 I’ve posted was 5.1 sec which isn’t bad for this heavy *** car lol. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions! Ignore all the negativity in this community brother!
Old 05-28-23, 05:48 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jourdan32
So I have a 2017 IS350 AWD my current mod list
PPE Headers
Ported Upper and Lower Manifold
76mm Throttle body
Ripp high spark coil packs
Takeda Intake
Light weight water pump and crank pulley
BC Racing Coilovers
RR Racing tune.
I definitely recommend all of the mods listed above the only thing I would kinda be iffy on is the Ripp coil packs, not because of the “performance” but because I’ve had a coil pack cause a misfire. I would replace them one at a time as they go out. Luckily I had a friend who had a spare set laying around so I just bought it cheap from him and replace one at a time as the go out. I’ve heard some people not have any issues with them at all. I think it’s just hit or miss with them. I do feel a difference in the Higher RPMs but I don’t know if it would be worth the hassle. Another side note I would check out a tune By “TunedbyLoi” heard his tunes are superior to RR Racing. I’m getting tuned by him in like a month or 2. I haven’t got my dyno tune results due to not having a AWD dyno near me, all I have are dragy times but the best 0-60 I’ve posted was 5.1 sec which isn’t bad for this heavy *** car lol. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions! Ignore all the negativity in this community brother!
To Modify the List....
AEM Full Cone Filter not Takeda Intake
RIPP or Accel Coils with 1 step Colder Plugs.
D3 Tune if they have one or Loi.

+1 to the Ignore the Neg here. lol!
daisey350 (05-28-23)
Old 05-28-23, 07:27 PM
daisey350
Rookie

@Jourdan32 @jgscott appreciate the info/reply guys! This gives me a few things to consider. And Jourdan I sent you a pm about parts info
jgscott (05-28-23)
Old 05-29-23, 11:43 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

@Jourdan32 @jgscott appreciate the info/reply guys! This gives me a few things to consider. And Jourdan I sent you a pm about parts info
One other change I forgot to tell you. I would not Port the TB to 76mm. With Cone Intake and ported Upper/lower it likely will create a problem. It did for me and just a few others. The Tunes were not mapped for that much more air with enough fuel, especially around redline RPM. Too lean. The MAF also was having problems due to the increase of air flow going by it. If you had the ability to make the fuel increase changes then you can get by. If not there are problems a few ran into. Including myself. Either just go 1mm enlarged, or just Polished and Funnel shape on the TB.
Old 05-29-23, 01:25 PM
daisey350
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgscott
One other change I forgot to tell you. I would not Port the TB to 76mm. With Cone Intake and ported Upper/lower it likely will create a problem. It did for me and just a few others. The Tunes were not mapped for that much more air with enough fuel, especially around redline RPM. Too lean. The MAF also was having problems due to the increase of air flow going by it. If you had the ability to make the fuel increase changes then you can get by. If not there are problems a few ran into. Including myself. Either just go 1mm enlarged, or just Polished and Funnel shape on the TB.
Not sure yet if I want to bother doing the manifolds anyways. But that’s good information to know. I’m going to work with D3 for the tune though and I would assume they’d be able to correct the fuel issue?
Old 05-30-23, 07:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yes the Fuel issue can be corrected. If you can do the Manifold do them. It's a big plus for the gains you get.

Last edited by jgscott; 05-31-23 at 09:10 AM. Reason: grammar