IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Paint Quality on New IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 06:03 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by albertcado
Hijacking my own thread here, but has anyone noticed water trickling down their trunk deck spoiler when leaving the trunk open for a bit?
The strangest thing, it hasn't rained at all since I got the car but every day when I go in the trunk for something and leave it up for a bit, water trickles down the spoiler at the same damn spot on the driver side edge.
It's been doing this for 3 straight days and I'm stumped (pic below)
Guessing it's trapped water from whenever it did rain.

P.S. - 2018 with orange peel above left rear passenger door. I could get rid of it doesn't bother me, though I do have the tools.
Old 05-26-23, 09:28 AM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be condensation for when the ambient temperature changes.
Old 05-28-23, 12:50 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

My trunk lid has water that drains constantly for a week after I wash it. It's very frustrating. No amount of drying, blowing, wiping seems to help at all.
Old 05-28-23, 01:54 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
My trunk lid has water that drains constantly for a week after I wash it. It's very frustrating. No amount of drying, blowing, wiping seems to help at all.
that sucks.. but I guess good news that it happens on other IS350. Atleast it eliminates the possibility that water is getting trapped in the actual spoiler. I think it just pools somewhere between the tape that holds the trunk lid.
Old 05-29-23, 07:19 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Dude. Just enjoy the car and don’t pick it apart. I’m OCD and **** about my cars but this is another level. Even $300,000 super cars that are built by hand aren’t perfect. At the end of the day humans aren’t perfect and even the cars that are built by machines, those machines are built by humans.
Old 05-29-23, 06:11 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Dude. Just enjoy the car and don’t pick it apart. I’m OCD and **** about my cars but this is another level. Even $300,000 super cars that are built by hand aren’t perfect. At the end of the day humans aren’t perfect and even the cars that are built by machines, those machines are built by humans.
I hear you and I've been trying to enjoy the car. But after huge scratches above the spoiler were found and holes in the paint, you can't help but second guess whether certain things are "normal" or not. The car is brand new and it had long scratches that perfectly trace almost the entire spoiler. These aren't random scratches, they outline the shape of the spoiler which tells me someone really messed up, maybe tracing it with something to guide the install. So in addition to this when finding these strange holes in the paint you start to question if they are "normal" and "minor" paint imperfections or signs of an underlying paint issue. Minor scratches and swirls from the dealership washing your car, some orange peel, sure, that's expected, but scratches that go across the entire trunk and holes in the paint, I think most would agree that isn't acceptable on a brand new car. Had I known there would have been this many "minor" issues brand new I would've just bought a base IS 350 with as few options as possible or even a used one instead of one with 4-5k worth of options.
Old 05-29-23, 06:22 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

I hear you and I've been trying to enjoy the car. But after huge scratches above the spoiler were found and holes in the paint, you can't help but second guess whether certain things are "normal" or not. The car is brand new and it had long scratches that perfectly trace almost the entire spoiler. These aren't random scratches, they outline the shape of the spoiler which tells me someone really messed up, maybe tracing it with something to guide the install. So in addition to this when finding these strange holes in the paint you start to question if they are "normal" and "minor" paint imperfections or signs of an underlying paint issue. Minor scratches and swirls from the dealership washing your car, some orange peel, sure, that's expected, but scratches that go across the entire trunk and holes in the paint, I think most would agree that isn't acceptable on a brand new car. Had I known there would have been this many "minor" issues brand new I would've just bought a base IS 350 with as few options as possible or even a used one instead of one with 4-5k worth of options.
I can say with 100% certainty that these scratches were incurred when washing your car at the dealer. My vehicle arrived and was untouched at my request and it had 0 scratches. This decision came after an abismal experience with my prior vehicle which was washed at the time of sale and all they did was scratch the paint. Just go and sit and watch them wash a vehicle. I assure you that you will see them throw rags on the ground and pick them up like nothing happened. Use brushes, etc. I wholeheartedly feel confident that the vehicle did not leave the factory or even the port with those scratches. Likewise the argument could be made that if the scratches were present at the time of sale and as noticeable as they are, they should have been brought to the dealer’s attention then. I highly doubt that they will replace any component or other to respray anything as they have no control over how the vehicle has been washed since leaving their hands, and nothing was brought to their attention when you bought it.
Old 05-30-23, 06:10 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

Spoiler is attached at port. I would not worry about paint quality from the Japanese factory. The scratches above the spoiler most definitely were caused by the install crew, or improper washing at the dealer. There's no way a car leaves the factory with any scratch like that.
Old 05-30-23, 06:12 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Spoiler is attached at port. I would not worry about paint quality from the Japanese factory. The scratches above the spoiler most definitely were caused by the install crew, or improper washing at the dealer. There's no way a car leaves the factory with any scratch like that.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that only the DHP CF spoiler is port installed. The other gloss black spoiler is factory installed.
Old 05-30-23, 06:42 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It'll pale in comparison to what having a kid and child seat in the back will do ; )
Old 05-30-23, 09:18 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I've only got 2400 miles on my IS 500, and it's already accumulated so many minor nicks and swirls from who knows what. I am super careful with the car and hand-wash it only. It's possible the body shop gave me some of them, or it was due to some random person squeezing past the car in a tight space (and carelessly brushing against it with a bag or blue jeans). It doesn't take much.

The good news is, almost all of the small imperfections I've found have been easy to remove with some polishing compound and a little elbow grease. You'd never know they were there.
Old 05-30-23, 09:24 AM
albertcado
Pit Crew

The dealership has my car and I'm in a loaner for now. They're going to assess the best way to get the scratches out by the detail team and let me know the options before they proceed. The long scratch is in a tricky spot because it goes horizontally on the trunk following the outline of the spoiler. In order to evenly polish the scratches out I would think the spoiler and adhesive would need to get removed to have enough room since spoiler is in the way.
Would you let the dealership remove the spoiler to polish out these bad scratches and re-attach it?

Last edited by albertcado; 05-30-23 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-30-23, 09:41 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

The dealership has my car and I'm in a loaner for now. They're going to assess the best way to get the scratches out by the detail team and let me know the options before they proceed. The long scratch is in a tricky spot because it goes horizontally on the trunk following the outline of the spoiler. In order to evenly polish the scratches out I would think the spoiler and adhesive would need to get removed to have enough room since spoiler is in the way.
Would you let the dealership remove the spoiler to polish out these bad scratches and re-attach it?
ROFL
youre gonna go down an endless spiral where they remove the spoiler to remove scratches but they accidentally add more scratches. Good luck and thanks for making even me look sane.
The following users liked this post:
nitroracer (05-30-23)
Old 05-30-23, 09:55 AM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
ROFL
youre gonna go down an endless spiral where they remove the spoiler to remove scratches but they accidentally add more scratches. Good luck and thanks for making even me look sane.
lol well I haven't given them the okay to do it, just asking if it would be better to have them leave it be rather than possibly making things worse.
Old 05-30-23, 09:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

lol well I haven't given them the okay to do it, just asking if it would be better to have them leave it be rather than possibly making things worse.
The idea of them having to remove the spoiler gives me pause. Ultimately they may delegate the work to a detailer, who should know what they are doing. I think being transparent with them about your concerns is the best way to make sure it is done right.

Quick Reply: Paint Quality on New IS 350