IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Paint Quality on New IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-23, 11:08 AM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
The idea of them having to remove the spoiler gives me pause. Ultimately they may delegate the work to a detailer, who should know what they are doing. I think being transparent with them about your concerns is the best way to make sure it is done right.
Same.. I reiterated to not move the spoiler to fix the scratches. As long as the detailer is competent they should be able to tape cover the spoiler and polish the scratches even though they're wedged up against it. If the scratches were minor I'd just let it be but they are pretty gnarly, goes straight across almost 3/4 of the length of the spoiler on the trunk. I'm trying to be nice and calm with the dealership, but I think others in my shoes would've flipped out discovering that kind of scratch.
Old 05-30-23, 11:41 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by albertcado
Same.. I reiterated to not move the spoiler to fix the scratches. As long as the detailer is competent they should be able to tape cover the spoiler and polish the scratches even though they're wedged up against it. If the scratches were minor I'd just let it be but they are pretty gnarly, goes straight across almost 3/4 of the length of the spoiler on the trunk. I'm trying to be nice and calm with the dealership, but I think others in my shoes would've flipped out discovering that kind of scratch.
Unless the spoiler has some kind of gaps, like a large, fixed wing variety, why would they have to remove it? There are micro polishers for jobs like that.
Old 05-30-23, 11:45 AM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Unless the spoiler has some kind of gaps, like a large, fixed wing variety, why would they have to remove it? There are micro polishers for jobs like that.
good point you're actually 100% right, no reason they shouldn't be able to polish it properly regardless of the position of scratches
Old 05-30-23, 11:53 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

good point you're actually 100% right, no reason they shouldn't be able to polish it properly regardless of the position of scratches
Well there would be instances where a fixed wing spoiler like what's on an Audi R8 might have to be removed to get to some areas. But yours is convex everywhere, so no spots that can't be accessed.
Old 06-14-23, 09:11 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Just to hijack this thread, I have full ppf on my is 500 and I have scratches on chrome trim. My ppf also isn’t perfect either many imperfections with some potential water spots from the hard water. It messes with me, but I’m learning to calm down and realize it’s just a car…
The following users liked this post:
TipsyTonio (06-15-23)
Old 06-16-23, 11:32 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

My problem with PPF is I hate the way it looks even brand new, then it gets dull and worn. Plus it’s not cheap. You’re spending a fraction of the cost of a full paint job to put something on your car that’s guaranteed to fail in a few years and look bad from the beginning anyways.

If you can’t enjoy your car withoit fear, you spent too much on the car IMO.

I used to be a BMW guy. People would buy a new M3 in another state and freak out and ask the forum how to transfer it safely across the country. “Should I pay extra to have it transported in a trailer?” A car they would then drive themselves on public roads. A car that costs the same as a nice GMC truck.

Last edited by BBQapple; 06-16-23 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-16-23, 11:56 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BBQapple
My problem with PPF is I hate the way it looks even brand new, then it gets dull and worn. Plus it’s not cheap. You’re spending a fraction of the cost of a full paint job to put something on your car that’s guaranteed to fail in a few years and look bad from the beginning anyways.

If you can’t enjoy your car withoit fear, you spent too much on the car IMO.

I used to be a BMW guy. People would buy a new M3 in another state and freak out and ask the forum how to transfer it safely across the country. “Should I pay extra to have it transported in a trailer?” A car they would then drive themselves on public roads. A car that costs the same as a nice GMC truck.
maybe but my car looks great I’m just ocd about the condition. Even with my 10 year old rx350 I worry. If you get the right installer, no one can tell. This is my car 7 months in. No swirls nothing ever. I plan on keeping the car for 10 years. An edge lift here and there that can get trimmed is no big deal and a lot less noticeable then swirls and rock chips.
Old 06-16-23, 12:48 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

I can tell even if it’s perfect and brand new. It has nothing to do with the seams and edges. The surface reflects differently. It’s covered with a clear film. The “glinting” by point source light reflections is not as sharp or brilliant. The reflections over surfaces are different. Apparent depth is reduced. Creases and sharp lines in the body work aren’t as sharp ad the original bodywork because the radiuses are larger. It makes a car look like plastic.
Old 06-16-23, 01:08 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

I can tell even if it’s perfect and brand new. It has nothing to do with the seams and edges. The surface reflects differently. It’s covered with a clear film. The “glinting” by point source light reflections is not as sharp or brilliant. The reflections over surfaces are different. Apparent depth is reduced. Creases and sharp lines in the body work aren’t as sharp ad the original bodywork because the radiuses are larger. It makes a car look like plastic.
you must have an eye for it then because I can’t tell, the only thing I can tell is for a feel. I have brought this car around friends who are car enthusiasts etc and they didn’t know. 99% of people including myself without touching it cannot tell
Old 06-17-23, 05:55 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

That's how I feel when rocks hit my car. The surface reflects differently.

Have you tried a higher quality PPF? Good brands guarantee against yellowing.
Old 06-18-23, 07:43 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Have you tried a higher quality PPF? Good brands guarantee against yellowing.
PPF being visible isn’t because it’s turned yellow did you not read my post? I can see the stuff when it’s brand new.

Heres a loaner car I had yesterday with front half of the hood covered. It reflects light differently in multiple ways.

Old 06-18-23, 07:45 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by vpar23
you must have an eye for it then because I can’t tell, the only thing I can tell is for a feel. I have brought this car around friends who are car enthusiasts etc and they didn’t know. 99% of people including myself without touching it cannot tell
You’ve asked 100 people if they can see the film on your car?
Old 06-19-23, 05:38 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

PPF being visible isn’t because it’s turned yellow did you not read my post? I can see the stuff when it’s brand new.

Heres a loaner car I had yesterday with front half of the hood covered. It reflects light differently in multiple ways.

Indeed I did. I just assumed you meant some type of warrantied failure (eg, yellowing). Reputable brands are warrantied by the maker and/or the installer for a period of usually 10 years. I don't know how else a PPF install would "fail", other than the ones listed in the link, or in some way that would be a result of installer failure (assuming this is after a "few years", as you say).

It's not for everyone, and price/looks aside, I'm just not interested in having rock chips all over my hood. It's certainly more detracting aesthetically than a bit of PPF. I might not install it on a beater car, but this is a Lexus forum.

By way of example, I have at least one car with decade-old film on it with no signs of stopping. I bet it lasts forever. Though, I might redo it at some point since the longevity of PPF is actually one if it's downsides. If you leave it on too long (like some sort of barn find vehicle), it'll be damn near impossible to take off.
Old 03-24-24, 09:29 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

For those of you who have purchased a new 3IS recently in the last few years, how satisfied are you with the paint quality upon pickup?
Have you noticed any minor or major imperfections on your paint or had paint fixed by your dealership on a new car?
I just brought home my new car and noticed a super tiny dimple or pin hole in the clear coat by the rear door. It's the size of a sand grain at most so I'm not going to bother bringing it up to have the dealership fix it, but I was surprised to see that in Lexus quality. Now had it been bigger or more noticeable I probably would bring it up and see if it's even worth correcting. Overall I think the car's paint is far better than my last Ford Mustang that had lots of imperfections.
Also as soon as I saw my car in person at the dealership I could tell right away that the rear quarters had a bit of orange peel, but also noticed it on most the other cars. I had 2 loaners for a week, one was a 2022 IS 350 and UX model and both had the same orange peel in certain areas. Is some orange peel pretty normal now a days on a new Lexus? How do you determine a specific imperfection or amount of orange peel is past "acceptable"?
This is my first Lexus so I'm not familiar with the quality that should be expected and interested in what more seasoned Lexus owners think.
I just noticed something on my IS 500, I wouldn’t have noticed it but I was looking for swirl marks and it caught the angle just right. To me it’s like a micro bubble in the paint. I can’t tell if it’s just the clear coat or paint, but the clear coat looks like a tiny pin hole while the paint looks like a pin hole raised. So far it’s the only imperfection I noticed, and only did so because I was combing over the paint with my jaw on the floor with the amount of swirl marks on a brand new car with less than 20 miles when I got it (now a few thousand but only hand washed by me). It’s like the dealer used a steel wool brush. FYI I had noticed them before I was now seeing if there were any deep ones.

Anyways, regarding the imperfections, I’m pretty sure I have what you have (it’s probably a common thing and only noticeable by crazy people like ourselves). i tried to take a picture of it but it’s impossible to get any close up, it’s so small and only is visible when a certain light source hits it right. It’s right above my finger.

Side note: I thought it would bother me more as I have severe OCD with stuff like that, made the mistake of getting front PPFed before total paint polish of these dealer swirls. They’re not terrible I exaggerate…they’re just there. Anyhow, I lost this pin hole a few times when I looked away, that’s how tiny and hidden it is, and as someone else mentioned - every car is going to have some imperfections if you look close enough and I’m sure there are more if I look hard enough. Hopefully once I get it paint corrected in a few years when the ppf gets changed it’ll get blended better.

ps: orange peel is common on all new vehicles. I’ve come to accept it as standard and don’t mind it anymore. You’ll have to get it cut and polished if you want super mirror clear coat.

Last edited by prophecywhiteis500; 03-24-24 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Side note
Old 03-25-24, 08:24 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

You’ve asked 100 people if they can see the film on your car?
no my car detailer who details for Porsche and pdr guy who sees hundreds of cars didn’t realize/ wouldn’t pull a dent till he touched it. The average person has no clue.

Quick Reply: Paint Quality on New IS 350