IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport - Side Swiped; Totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 09:59 PM
GMoney8
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport - Side Swiped; Totaled?

I was recently side swiped pretty bad and the damage looks much worse in person. I'm curious to know if my car will end up getting totaled out?

According to KBB, the value of my 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport is around $15k to $18K. I imagine the damage has to be at least $10k? The bumper, rear fender, rear + front passenger door, front fender, front bumper, front rim and rear view mirror were all damaged. Any insight anyone has to help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
Old 05-25-23, 10:02 PM
GMoney8
5th Gear

Better quality pictures added...

Old 05-26-23, 04:50 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I would be surprised if it isn’t totaled. No airbags deployed though, correct? If airbags deployed, I would say it’s totaled. In your position, I would push for it to be totaled. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 05-26-23, 05:33 AM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 100 Posts

Doesn't take much to kiss that unibody rail on the right side. I bet it's totaled. My 2016 was totaled 4 months after I bought it. When the body shop was tallying the cost of repairs, they stopped at 32k and hadn't even gotten forward of the trunk yet lol.

Old 05-26-23, 08:09 AM
GMoney8
5th Gear

Originally Posted by link13
I would be surprised if it isn’t totaled. No airbags deployed though, correct? If airbags deployed, I would say it’s totaled. In your position, I would push for it to be totaled. Sorry this happened to you.

The airbags did NOT deploy. One thing I forgot to mention was that the computer system in the car started to turn off and on, and the car struggled to turn on initially. Not sure if the suspension or engine will have any issues moving forward, but I did bring that up to the estimator.

I definitely am pushing for the car to be totaled, so we shall see.
Old 05-26-23, 08:12 AM
GMoney8
5th Gear

Originally Posted by InveredMP
Doesn't take much to kiss that unibody rail on the right side. I bet it's totaled. My 2016 was totaled 4 months after I bought it. When the body shop was tallying the cost of repairs, they stopped at 32k and hadn't even gotten forward of the trunk yet lol.

Oh man, so sorry this happened to you. Looks like a pretty direct hit on the bumper so I definitely believe you had some frame damage. I think frame
damage alone is pretty much at least a minimum of 10k in damage to start.
Old 05-26-23, 02:36 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GMoney8
Oh man, so sorry this happened to you. Looks like a pretty direct hit on the bumper so I definitely believe you had some frame damage. I think frame
damage alone is pretty much at least a minimum of 10k in damage to start.
It shifted the right rail forward several inches. The car did its job and saved me from anything more than a little bit of soreness. I really loved that car too. I didn't get enough time with her and I think about that car a lot. Bought an Acura TLX after it and hated it so much I sold it and just bought a 2019 IS300. Best decision I have ever made.

To the OP, I know the feeling and it sucks a lot. But the car did its job and kept you safe. If they total it, hopefully, you can make yourself whole and get something the same or better.
Old 05-26-23, 03:55 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by InveredMP
It shifted the right rail forward several inches. The car did its job and saved me from anything more than a little bit of soreness. I really loved that car too. I didn't get enough time with her and I think about that car a lot. Bought an Acura TLX after it and hated it so much I sold it and just bought a 2019 IS300. Best decision I have ever made.

To the OP, I know the feeling and it sucks a lot. But the car did its job and kept you safe. If they total it, hopefully, you can make yourself whole and get something the same or better.
Unrelated but why did you not like the TLX. What spec was it
Old 05-26-23, 04:25 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swaangin
Unrelated but why did you not like the TLX. What spec was it
It was a 2018 A-Spec V6. When my IS200T got totaled I couldn't find another IS (during the chip shortage and the crazy used car market) so I started looking to the TLX which is very much in the same category. I have been a long time Honda/Acura owner with countless models, and the fact that my wife has an MDX, it was all making sense. Didn't take long after owning the car that I noticed a lot of weird stuff. The car was certified pre-owned and well taken care of which was a requirement for me. But I noticed that the paint was very thin, and even flaking off in spots. When I researched it I found out that was a common problem with several different paint colors on the TLX. The car is plagued with electronic issues and it does a lot of weird stuff electronically. There are relays that click and pop when you turn the car on and off. I literally thought something was wrong until I drove another one. It is roomier than an IS but less comfortable. The car also rode like complete garbage. Steering was loose, and the suspension was terrible. Car had 51k on it when I bought it and the suspension was so bad I brought it back to check the shocks. They said it was normal. I disagreed and asked to drive a 2019 (same gen) that they had on the used lot and sure enough, drove the same. I have never driven a performance sedan that felt like such garbage. Yes the IS over certain bumps feels like the car is going to explode but for the most part the ride quality is a fantastic balance between performance and comfort. The TLX was neither. The engine never gave me issues for the 1.5 years I owned it but I was terrified of it spinning a rod bearing. Apparently, the 2018 V6 in the TLX specifically, has a rod bearing issue. I was watching posts on FB groups and forums almost daily of people blowing engines and having to wait months and months for a replacement. For the typical Honda/Acura reliability I have come to know and trust, the TLX didn't meet it at all. I was so unimpressed after owning the IS200T. Was there a bit more power and noticeable torque? Yes. Does the V6 sound better than a turbo inline 4? Yes. But I can't tell you all the countless ways I like my IS more than the TLX. I could seriously go on and on. The body lines were bad too, with terrible fitment. Anyhoo, that is my TLX experience lol.
Old 05-26-23, 04:26 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

A pic of it.
Old 06-02-23, 10:54 AM
GMoney8
5th Gear

Default And the verdict is….

Breaking news: my car has officially been closed totaled with $18k worth of damage.

Insurance wants to cut me a check for $24k and they keep the car. If I want to keep the car, they will give me $18k (value of the car minus salvaged value). Is this pretty common insurance practice?
Old 06-03-23, 02:16 AM
CbusBrian
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GMoney8
Breaking news: my car has officially been closed totaled with $18k worth of damage.

Insurance wants to cut me a check for $24k and they keep the car. If I want to keep the car, they will give me $18k (value of the car minus salvaged value). Is this pretty common insurance practice?
Seems to be pretty common lately, easier to total it out for insurance companies. What i would do is call " we buy any car" or i think " peddle" might have an option on their website where you can basically see the salvage value they will pay you for the car as is, and some of those companies will even come get it from your driveway with a tow truck and a give u a check. if they offer you more then 6k then you might wanna keep it and just sell it to 1 of them, you would have to get a salvage title but its like 20 dollars. If they offer less then 6k sell it to insurance, thats what i would do anyways. Good luck i just went through this myself.