IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Replaced Smart Key Module cant program key now.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 08:57 PM
Aysly
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Smart Key Module cant program key now.

I have a 2017 Is 200T and recently had to replace the Toyota Smart Key Module 89990-53380 after breaking my original in a repair attempt.
I brought out a key programmer to the house and they were using Xtool device which resulted in many failed attempts.
Basically my car now has no active keys and am unable to program a new one without getting it into accessory mode which I cant without the key.
Does anyone know if a key programmer can solve this with the right tools maybe I just need someone with more experience? Or must take this to lexus? Any solutions or ideas or steps would be much appreciated!
Old 06-22-23, 03:33 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

use techstream, you should be able to connect to the car without turning it on. also if your module is brand new and no keys are on it, it should be in auto registration mode for two FOBS out of the box. That's how they assign fobs to cars in the factory.
if you got a used unit, you will need to do a Immobiliser Reset and it should be able to readd the fobs.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...43937-9999.pdf

Last edited by 350phi; 06-22-23 at 03:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zhifan1 (06-27-23)
Old 06-22-23, 03:48 PM
Aysly
Rookie

Originally Posted by 350phi
use techstream, you should be able to connect to the car without turning it on. also if your module is brand new and no keys are on it, it should be in auto registration mode for two FOBS out of the box. That's how they assign fobs to cars in the factory.
if you got a used unit, you will need to do a Immobiliser Reset and it should be able to readd the fobs.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...43937-9999.pdf
Thank you very much for the help and the link. I did purchase a used module so I’ll have to use the reset option. I’m completely new to this and trying to save any dollar I can do this question may sound dumb.
it says I’m required to get the technician reset approval request along with manager tis inbox and approve. Is this something I need to take it to the dealership for or call and request?
Old 06-24-23, 10:37 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Aysly
Thank you very much for the help and the link. I did purchase a used module so I’ll have to use the reset option. I’m completely new to this and trying to save any dollar I can do this question may sound dumb.
it says I’m required to get the technician reset approval request along with manager tis inbox and approve. Is this something I need to take it to the dealership for or call and request?
dealer has access to creating seed keys to do a reset.
being that your module is used, it probably has old fobs programed to them.
so your best method DIY is to do a smart code reset. https://www.weboctopus.nl/lexus-scio...calculator.php is the web site where you buy tokens. you use a token key to generate the pass-code in the reset procedure.
1. buy 5 token (that's the cheapest they offer)
2. connect to techstream go to the smart key function and do a smart code reset.
3. follow the prompt and when it gets to the pass-code section. you will go to that web site above, enter your techstream version, vin of the car, the long seed number and enter your purchased token. it will generate a code. enter that code in techstream and it will clear the programed fobs. it takes 16mins for it to clear.
Once that's all done, that modular is ready to accept new/used fobs.
4. go to the smart key menu and go to registration or classic registration. from there, you should be able to add back your fob.

This is all from the top of my head. I've done this on prius and lexus.a few times.
Old 06-24-23, 05:30 PM
Aysly
Rookie

Thank you very much for your service sir. Im going to order everything now and give it a shot.
one more question for you. WIll this allow me to use my original keys from the old module? Ive seen somewhere that a key can't be used twice.

Last edited by Aysly; 06-24-23 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-25-23, 05:40 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

yes, when you do the smart key reset you add back your old fob.
shows you how then that weboctopus web site is where you generate the code.
shows you how to add all the fobs back.
Old 06-25-23, 09:28 PM
Aysly
Rookie

edit: got the correct verison installed but reset keeps immediately failing and im down to one pass code left.

Last edited by Aysly; 06-25-23 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-25-23, 10:26 PM
Aysly
Rookie

dealer has access to creating seed keys to do a reset.
being that your module is used, it probably has old fobs programed to them.
so your best method DIY is to do a smart code reset. https://www.weboctopus.nl/lexus-scio...calculator.php is the web site where you buy tokens. you use a token key to generate the pass-code in the reset procedure.
1. buy 5 token (that's the cheapest they offer)
2. connect to techstream go to the smart key function and do a smart code reset.
3. follow the prompt and when it gets to the pass-code section. you will go to that web site above, enter your techstream version, vin of the car, the long seed number and enter your purchased token. it will generate a code. enter that code in techstream and it will clear the programed fobs. it takes 16mins for it to clear.
Once that's all done, that modular is ready to accept new/used fobs.
4. go to the smart key menu and go to registration or classic registration. from there, you should be able to add back your fob.

This is all from the top of my head. I've done this on prius and lexus.a few times.
So man this is a headache. I bought the 5 codes.
everytime I get it to begin the reset it automatically fails immediately then causing me to have to get a new seed number and waste a mother code. I have one code I can calculate left. Any idea what the issue might be, it’s an instant fail and like I said I can’t turn the ignition on at all with this new module so I’m so confused on how this is going to work.
Old 06-27-23, 09:26 AM
Aysly
Rookie

yes, when you do the smart key reset you add back your old fob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-5oL3iNwBA shows you how then that weboctopus web site is where you generate the code.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZfmOf0yGQY shows you how to add all the fobs back.
I receive this error message.

Old 06-27-23, 09:47 AM
Matroushi
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Which OBD2 cable are you using? I remember getting a similar error when trying to perform a zero point calibration, and from brief research, it might have been the cheap OBD2 cable I was using.
Old 06-27-23, 09:53 AM
Aysly
Rookie

Originally Posted by Matroushi
Which OBD2 cable are you using? I remember getting a similar error when trying to perform a zero point calibration, and from brief research, it might have been the cheap OBD2 cable I was using.
I’m using this one I found on Amazon. It was $50 and looked like the best reviewed one I could find. I’m already out of smart codes now and would hate to keep throwing money away, any suggestions ? Also do you know how much this would roughly cost if I took it to a shop to do or the dealership ?

Old 06-27-23, 09:58 AM
Matroushi
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

That's similar to the one I have, might be even the same. I'm not quite knowledgeable on why they can't program certain things. Maybe someone from the US can chip in on how much this would cost?
Old 06-27-23, 11:16 AM
Aysly
Rookie

I appreciate the help atleast. I think I may end up just having to cash out on this at the dealship. I just end up wasting every code I buy because it fails.
Old 09-18-23, 10:40 AM
rx300basic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you figure this out?
Old 09-18-23, 10:44 AM
Aysly
Rookie

Originally Posted by rx300basic
did you figure this out?
The tech stream will always disconnect mid cycle for some reason without the car having power. Got tired of paying for reset codes so I’m Still waiting to just take it to the dealership.

Quick Reply: Replaced Smart Key Module cant program key now.