IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2021+ spoiler switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-24 | 08:26 AM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Default 2021+ spoiler switch?

Anyone had their spoilers switched out? Is it just remove and replace or is their paint work that needs done under there? I'm not sure I'm a 100% fan of the little boomerang plant on step "spoiler" and looking for something a little more aggressive. It's the only thing on the new IS that looks "meh" to me. Any recommendations or worth doing? I'm sorta a fan of something like this but it might be too much.
Old 02-02-24 | 09:28 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Originally Posted by prophecywhiteis500
Unless you track your car, that spoiler is not doing anything useful for your car. Other than “mine is bigger than yours” bravado.
Old 02-02-24 | 09:37 AM
Undefeatable
Driver

I'd be interested in what aftermarket spoilers people are running on their 2021+ IS's. I like the stock wing on the 350 but have been curious about getting a different one to change up the look a bi
Old 02-02-24 | 10:22 AM
arentz07

The one in the photo is actually the same spoiler as the RC F Track Edition - probably a little pricey.

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Unless you track your car, that spoiler is not doing anything useful for your car. Other than “mine is bigger than yours” bravado.
Maybe aesthetics are a legitimate reason to modify a car. Not everyone is going to try to maximize performance with their build.

Old 02-02-24 | 12:03 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arentz07
The one in the photo is actually the same spoiler as the RC F Track Edition - probably a little pricey.

Maybe aesthetics are a legitimate reason to modify a car. Not everyone is going to try to maximize performance with their build.
Exactly, aesthetically I find it very attractive over the stock step spoiler (probably coming from years of growing up playing Gran Turismo). You don't have to have it on the track, but I understand the thought, which is why I think it might be a little much for a currently stock car ATM. I was just looking if people have had spoiler replacements and what they offered (if any).
Old 02-02-24 | 04:01 PM
uakozak
Driver School Candidate

i dunno man.. for a 4 door sedan that is just a terrible look.. to each his own, but imho the little spoiler that comes stock with 21+ looks pretty good.. they do have a carbon fiber one i've seen for some of the pre 21 models that sticks out from the trunk more and is a little thicker than stock but I havent found it for 21+ model just yet
Old 02-02-24 | 04:39 PM
RA050224
Driver

For 2021+, the 300s have a port-installed spoiler that is bigger and more in-your-face than the stock 350 spoilers. Not really sure why. But they are body-colored and have a recall on them for water in the trunk, so not sure they are a good solution either.
Old 02-03-24 | 06:29 AM
Nexus713
Pit Crew

If I ever had extra money to put towards the spoiler I would personally get this one from Seibon:

https://seiboncarbon.com/tt-style-ca...ort-is500.html

It’s bigger than OEM but doesn’t look weird on a car and adds that ‚OEM+’ look, especially with Carbon Mirror covers and maybe carbon aero parts

also looking at the picture looks like it has bolts that go into place of OEM spoiler, so any ‚track’ spoiler would probably need some work on the trunk to seal some of the holes.
Old 02-04-24 | 12:53 AM
subtl
Pit Crew

Exactly, aesthetically I find it very attractive over the stock step spoiler (probably coming from years of growing up playing Gran Turismo). You don't have to have it on the track, but I understand the thought, which is why I think it might be a little much for a currently stock car ATM. I was just looking if people have had spoiler replacements and what they offered (if any).
If you are interested in running a set up like this, I know of a company out here in Ontario, California that is planning on making couple of these Track Edition style wings. I believe they said about two months until the first one is made. I will be meeting with them once its made to see what is needed to make it fit onto the 3IS (21+) trunk
Old 02-04-24 | 09:09 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Even that is true only when assuming that those who did the R&D on that spoiler, understood aerodynamics and tested it. Most third-party spoiler manufacturers dont do that as they lack the knowledge.

This is why Ferrari doing a wind tunnel based aerodynamics on their cars is such a big deal - most "normal" oems cant do it, let alone independent RICE shops/manufacturers.

Also, most often then not, third party spoiler actually makes it worse by affecting the downforce on wheels at high speeds by lifting the nose a little bit = less traction on the front tires.
Old 02-04-24 | 09:56 AM
subtl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sunamer
Even that is true only when assuming that those who did the R&D on that spoiler, understood aerodynamics and tested it. Most third-party spoiler manufacturers dont do that as they lack the knowledge.

This is why Ferrari doing a wind tunnel based aerodynamics on their cars is such a big deal - most "normal" oems cant do it, let alone independent RICE shops/manufacturers.

Also, most often then not, third party spoiler actually makes it worse by affecting the downforce on wheels at high speeds by lifting the nose a little bit = less traction on the front tires.
Spoiler wise I haven’t tried anything from them. But all the other stuff they’ve made for other vehicles such as s2000 voltex style bumper, I have used and had experience with it. I personally don’t have a problem with their products. Also it’s a 3D scan they got off of a RCF track edition so do that with what you will. I only shared that GRA motoring is making a CF replica cause OP referring to an IS500 with that wing.
Old 02-04-24 | 06:23 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Originally Posted by sunamer

Could not agree more. I recently read, about one of my dream cars, the 1970 Plymouth Superbird, that during testing, the down force of the rear airfoil was in excess of 900 lbs at 190 mph! Bending the rear quarter panels on which it was mounted (not simply on a trunk lid), resulting in the final design adding structural supports inside the quarter panels and trunk floor. Also, if the airfoil was adjusted too aggressively, it would wear out the rear tires on a single lap around the track (at track speeds, as the wing was intended for speeds above 140 mph).
Old 02-05-24 | 04:29 AM
arentz07

Could not agree more. I recently read, about one of my dream cars, the 1970 Plymouth Superbird, that during testing, the down force of the rear airfoil was in excess of 900 lbs at 190 mph! Bending the rear quarter panels on which it was mounted (not simply on a trunk lid), resulting in the final design adding structural supports inside the quarter panels and trunk floor. Also, if the airfoil was adjusted too aggressively, it would wear out the rear tires on a single lap around the track (at track speeds, as the wing was intended for speeds above 140 mph).
I don't really think it's a great idea to speculate on how the spoiler will work and make that the focus of this thread.

What we do know is that the wing adds 58 more pounds of downforce at 168 MPH to the RC F TE while reducing drag by 2%.

https://pressroom.lexus.com/the-pinn...track-edition/

Now, will it have the same effect on the IS? That is hard to say. But I don't think the additional 58 pounds of downforce (at a speed this car can't even reach, btw) isn't anything to worry about, assuming it is the number you'd see on an IS.

Also, we are kind of going down a rabbit hole on the RC F TE wing. There are other options!
Old 02-10-24 | 01:06 PM
twalls
Driver

The Seibon CF Spoiler is nice, looks good on (my friend has it), and yes it's a little more aggressive than the stock CF Spoiler, or even the DHP CF spoiler that I have.. It sticks out further..

Nia Body Kits is also making a prototype duckbill that goes over part of the trunk and also has the newer "LEXUS" word logo and gets rid of the "L" Logo as well.. So new things are coming..
View this post on Instagram

Old 02-11-24 | 04:02 PM
frid4
Driver

Anyone had their spoilers switched out? Is it just remove and replace or is their paint work that needs done under there? I'm not sure I'm a 100% fan of the little boomerang plant on step "spoiler" and looking for something a little more aggressive. It's the only thing on the new IS that looks "meh" to me. Any recommendations or worth doing? I'm sorta a fan of something like this but it might be too much.
That spoiler will require some body work as there is 6 holes in the trunk from the factory spoiler, the only spoiler that will fit without making new holes is the seibon duck bill and probably the DHP one. The rest are likely just 3M on which wont be as secure.

Artisian spirits sells a GT spoiler similar to this that compliments their wide body kit. However it has to be shipped from japan.

Quick Reply: 2021+ spoiler switch?