IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What did you do to your IS today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-24, 10:58 AM
JCMikulak
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was finally able to replace my lower control arm bushings with a pair of RC F versions, which had been sitting on my desk for 2 months...

Old 05-27-24, 11:33 AM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Replaced plastic part on my console that came with an imperfection that was aggravating me. Expensive piece of plastic because it includes the mode selector.
Changed engine oil, went with the new Restore and Protect from Valvoline.
The following users liked this post:
JCMikulak (05-27-24)
Old 05-27-24, 11:38 AM
JCMikulak
Driver School Candidate

That blemish would have driven me crazy! What caused it?
Old 05-27-24, 11:46 AM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JCMikulak
That blemish would have driven me crazy! What caused it?
It was there when I purchased the car, can’t tell what would have caused it. It almost looks like a burnt mark but the car couldn’t have belonged to a smoker, there is no smoke smell. I’ve owned a vehicle before that was smoked in by a previous owner, no matter what I did I could never get rid of the smell. I would never again purchase a vehicle with cigarette smell. So I have no idea what caused the imperfection but it was a very simple part to replace myself, it was a little over $200 for the part including the mode selector, I’m a happy camper.

And gave it a wash.

Last edited by NYIS300awdFS; 05-27-24 at 05:25 PM.
JCMikulak (05-27-24)
Old 06-10-24, 07:05 AM
Bearcats98
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Got all my chemicals ready for a full detail. Final cutting pads arrived today. Looking forward to getting all the swirls out of the paint!

Old 06-14-24, 07:03 AM
Bearcats98
Driver

Halfway through! Got the iron decon done, the clay done (it was WAY worse than I thought; I did get IS second hand). The baggy test certainly is a life saver in regard to how smooth the paint is.

Hoping to start swirl removal today. Need to do my test section as to how aggressive I need to be.

EDIT: One thing to note...doing the clay helped the yellowing and edge grime on the rear door PPF. I was not expecting the yellowing to be cleared up by simple clay.

Last edited by Bearcats98; 06-14-24 at 08:17 AM.
JCMikulak (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 06:47 PM
JCMikulak
Driver School Candidate

I know my paint needs claying really badly...how long did it take for you to clay it? Did you do the entire car with just one clay bar?
Old 06-14-24, 07:23 PM
Bearcats98
Driver

I know my paint needs claying really badly...how long did it take for you to clay it? Did you do the entire car with just one clay bar?
No, I used two bars. I am fincky. Plan to polish/buff after claying as you will mar the paint.

Ill be honest it took a while. Its clear this car wasnt taken care of. Probably 3.5/4 hours. I am older so I took breaks as the body doesnt hang in there like it used too.

But it IS worth it. I got it to pass the baggy test. Then I started working with swirl remover and a DA. Its taking a while due to the damage...but I am getting there. It wont bw perfect but will.go.from a 5ft car to maybe a 1, 1.5 foot car...
Old 06-15-24, 08:38 PM
InveredMP
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts

ISF calipers came today. Waiting on Rotors and pads.
The following 2 users liked this post by InveredMP:
arentz07 (06-16-24), JCMikulak (06-15-24)
Old 06-15-24, 09:07 PM
Bearcats98
Driver

Originally Posted by InveredMP

ISF calipers came today. Waiting on Rotors and pads.
Wow...NICE! Jealous....
JCMikulak (06-16-24)
Old 06-15-24, 09:20 PM
BillCannon
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Double post

Double post

Last edited by BillCannon; 06-16-24 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-16-24, 08:58 PM
BillCannon
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dancingrobot

Looks great. Where did you buy the logo vinyls?
Old 06-16-24, 09:43 PM
JCMikulak
Driver School Candidate

Yesterday I used wheel cleaner to detail my wheels...it was a project I had been wanting to do since buying the car 3 months ago. They turned out nice, but with the front wheels there are there areas that have this grit that feels almost fused to the wheels. They're rough but aren't pits in the wheels, they are sitting on the surface (the dark spots in the pic). I know OEM brake pads release a lot of dust, and I wonder if this is just brake dust accumulated over the years from the previous owners that is going to take some work to get out. Anyone have this experience? Would an iron remover do the job?
Old 06-16-24, 11:13 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Yesterday I used wheel cleaner to detail my wheels...it was a project I had been wanting to do since buying the car 3 months ago. They turned out nice, but with the front wheels there are there areas that have this grit that feels almost fused to the wheels. They're rough but aren't pits in the wheels, they are sitting on the surface (the dark spots in the pic). I know OEM brake pads release a lot of dust, and I wonder if this is just brake dust accumulated over the years from the previous owners that is going to take some work to get out. Anyone have this experience? Would an iron remover do the job?
Sure looks like brake dust.
You’ll want to be gentle and not ruin your finish.
Try a fingernail to see if it flakes off or if it leaves pits in the clearcoat (i.e. is it just sitting on top, or melted into the clearcoat).
Old 06-26-24, 04:28 AM
Bearcats98
Driver

Its most likely brake dust that has been left on too long. I would certainly try iron remover and make sure you meet the dwell times indicated on product as well as use on absolute cold surface.

If you have similar appearance/issues on the inner barrel Id test that area first because if the clear coat/top layer is compromised you could be into more than you might want to deal with.
JCMikulak (06-26-24)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your IS today?