Looking for Opinions for Remote Start and Rear Carbon Lip

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 11:10 AM
DarkShadowIS
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for Opinions for Remote Start and Rear Carbon Lip

Hi All,

I got my Lexus IS 300 F Sport in Dec of last year, and one of the things that I really wish it came with was remote start. I've seen two systems that are plug and play that appear good. StartX and 12Volt. I plan on doing the install myself, has anyone installed/used these systems and which one is better?

Another modification I would like to make is a carbon fiber rear lip. Nothing crazy, no big wing. I would like to know if there is a quality option that does not require drilling. Most of the quality options I've seen, require using holes the OEM spoiler would have (that my car does not have). The cheapo carbon seems to be able to use 3M/DS tape but I don't want to go the cheap carbon route as my brother did on his BMW and the carbon doesn't look great after only a few years. Any suggestions?
Old 04-11-24, 08:11 PM
Nexus713
Pit Crew

Received 117 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkShadowIS
Hi All,

I got my Lexus IS 300 F Sport in Dec of last year, and one of the things that I really wish it came with was remote start. I've seen two systems that are plug and play that appear good. StartX and 12Volt. I plan on doing the install myself, has anyone installed/used these systems and which one is better?

Another modification I would like to make is a carbon fiber rear lip. Nothing crazy, no big wing. I would like to know if there is a quality option that does not require drilling. Most of the quality options I've seen, require using holes the OEM spoiler would have (that my car does not have). The cheapo carbon seems to be able to use 3M/DS tape but I don't want to go the cheap carbon route as my brother did on his BMW and the carbon doesn't look great after only a few years. Any suggestions?
Not sure about remote start, but only good carbon fiber rear spoiler/lip that won’t break your bank is Seibon one:

https://seiboncarbon.com/tt-style-ca...ort-is500.html

Sadly it requires drilling in your case.
if you have a good reputable shop nearby, they can drill it and protect it from water etc.
Think that engineers at Toyota had to drill in trunk for other models to put OEM spoiler and it doesn’t really affect functionality in bad way, so good quality shop should do it as good!
Old 04-12-24, 05:06 AM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi All,

What year is your car ?
Old 04-12-24, 06:30 AM
DarkShadowIS
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NYIS300awdFS
What year is your car ?
It is a 2017
Old 04-12-24, 06:44 AM
DarkShadowIS
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Nexus713
Not sure about remote start, but only good carbon fiber rear spoiler/lip that won’t break your bank is Seibon one:

https://seiboncarbon.com/tt-style-ca...ort-is500.html

Sadly it requires drilling in your case.
if you have a good reputable shop nearby, they can drill it and protect it from water etc.
Think that engineers at Toyota had to drill in trunk for other models to put OEM spoiler and it doesn’t really affect functionality in bad way, so good quality shop should do it as good!
Ya, I saw the Seibon and that looks like the best quality option for our cars. All the Seibon ones appear to use the factory holes. I had looked at the factory holes on a diagram from Toyota/Lexus, and two of the four of them look like they can be tricky to drill for a human (compared to the factories robots), and the body shop I used to trust is under new ownership as of late last year. I'm handy with a drill, but without a template and with those two tricky holes, I don't really want to temp fate on a Luxury Sports car. I'm a mechanic not a body man haha.
The following users liked this post:
Nexus713 (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 06:59 AM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

It is a 2017
You and I have the same car, I looked into the Seibon rear spoiler a few days ago. I believe it can be taped on. I also don’t want to drill into my car but also don’t feel like dropping $700 on it.
Old 04-12-24, 07:37 AM
DarkShadowIS
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NYIS300awdFS
You and I have the same car, I looked into the Seibon rear spoiler a few days ago. I believe it can be taped on. I also don’t want to drill into my car but also don’t feel like dropping $700 on it.
That would be nice if it could be taped. It's not like it's a wing that was 100% require drilling. But I suppose it depends on the surface underneath and how much surface area there is for the tape. The way I see it, you get what you pay for. As I plan on keeping the car for a very long time, if I went with an el cheapo, I'd have to pay another 200-400 dollars in three years once it starts looking like crap. I figure, pay 730ish once, never have to worry about it/pay again. The one I really want is https://seiboncarbon.com/sm-style-ca...s-250-350.html, I just hope that it could be taped, tape should hold a lip just as securely and strongly as screws.