IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Weird DRL Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 10:00 AM
TheLex350
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird DRL Issue

Hey just reaching out to see if anyone has encountered a similar issue or may know what's causing the problem. Will try and keep it short

2014 IS350 Awd
Issue:
So the passenger side DRL light works intermittently, meaning sometimes when I start the car it will NOT work at all other times works fine on (DRL MODE) and this is on the same day we are talking about. Now here's where it gets strange, when the DRL is working (DRL MODE) the passenger side DRL shuts off when low-beams or high-beams turn on but the driver side stays on.

Backstory:
Had slid off into a ditch this past winter tearing up the front bumper as well as knocking out the DRL light and a minor crack on top of the headlight which worked for a month or so waiting for repairs until a major rain storm then only the low-beam began flickering then ultimately going out but high-beam was fine. So the body shop replaced the headlight and DRL and claimed they tested and worked fine. Was out of town when the vehicle was dropped off but when I returned the low beam still was not working on the new assembly but the high beam was... I went back to the shop and they claimed it was working when left but took a look and found out the LED driver or controller unit was bad so replaced and the low-beam now works fine. BUT still returned with the DRL issue, brought it back up to them, and they had no clue why DRL was shutting off when the headlights would turn on and would need to do some research. Of course, the DRL was working in DRL mode when I was there but was not when I left the house.

This doesn't seem like it is the assembly causing the problems but should I just ask for a new assembly or is there some sort of controller unit for the DRL as well? Or could the unit they replaced be causing this same issue?

Appreciate anything and everything that could help, thanks.