IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 Lexus Is250 AWD Base Quiet Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-24, 05:38 PM
doctorraza
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2014 Lexus Is250 AWD Base Quiet Tires

Hello, this is my first post for this forum.

I am looking for some advice before purchasing tires. I just bought an is250 AWD 2014 2 weeks ago and the only thing that it needs is tires. The current ones are really loud on the road after 40+mph.

I am looking to buy from sam's club website since I have some cash back and would help me on the price. I need help figuring out which ones would be the quietest tires. I don't drive too fast. Just need something for a nice quiet drive.

Also one more question, this is my first time dealing with staggered wheels. Would it be bad for me to buy all the tires same size? What are the cons of doing that on this car which recommends 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 in the back?

https://www.samsclub.com/s/2254018?t...%20Base%20(AWD)
Old 05-28-24, 09:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorraza
Hello, this is my first post for this forum.

I am looking for some advice before purchasing tires. I just bought an is250 AWD 2014 2 weeks ago and the only thing that it needs is tires. The current ones are really loud on the road after 40+mph.

I am looking to buy from sam's club website since I have some cash back and would help me on the price. I need help figuring out which ones would be the quietest tires. I don't drive too fast. Just need something for a nice quiet drive.

Also one more question, this is my first time dealing with staggered wheels. Would it be bad for me to buy all the tires same size? What are the cons of doing that on this car which recommends 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 in the back?

https://www.samsclub.com/s/2254018?t...%20Base%20(AWD)
With respect to the staggered tires, what size tires does it currently have? Do you know what tires it came with when it was new? You should not deviate from using staggered tires unless you also plan to replace the wheels. The wheels and tires are different widths from each other front and rear.

Think about it this way. If you wrap a couple of envelopes in a small rubber band, you have to stretch that rubber band to make it fit. However, if you add two more envelopes, now you have to stretch the rubber band even more. Perhaps you remove all but one envelope. Now, the rubber band is loose. You could think of your tires like rubber bands and the wheels like the stacks of envelopes. That is, the wider the wheel, the wider your tire needs to be to not stretch too much. Conversely, if you put too wide of a tire on a wheel, it will be too wide to fit snugly. So, you see, it is important to know what width of wheel you are running to know what kinds of tires can fit on it. Or, if you can confirm that the current set of tires is at the factory/original size for the vehicle, you can safely just keep running those, assuming the wheels are also original. So, my personal recommendations would be to either A.) use the same sizes on your car again or B.) to swap to a set of wheels that are all the same width if you want to stop using staggered sizes. Probably A.). But anyway, just check what you currently are running. I don't know what you mean by "the car (which) recommends" - if the car came with staggered tires, you need to continue using those sizes for the most safety and to avoid damage to the AWD system.

As for quiet tires, I would say to avoid Ultra High Performance tires, unless you specifically want those. Also, aggressive all-seasons that are trying to be psuedo-winter tires like Michelin CrossClimate 2's are pretty loud. Avoid the stock Bridgestone Turanza tires at all costs.