IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Any advice when buying a used 2018 IS300 F-Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-24, 05:37 PM
KingpinCTID
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any advice when buying a used 2018 IS300 F-Sport?

I am new to this forum but currently in the process of buying a Used 2018 IS300 F-Sport. The mileage is 50k and compared to other on the market the price is good but not too good to be true. I put money down to reserve it (refunded if I don’t buy, and goes toward down payment if I do) so I could make a fully informed decision before completing purchase.

Is there any lesser known things I should look at with/on/in the car, any advice for IS300 specific issues, or any indicators that the car is going to be troublesome before I buy?

Ive looked into all the usual factors when buying used and it looks great so far but I was curious if anyone had advice specific to the 2018 IS300 f-sport.
Old 06-08-24, 07:00 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Are you buying from a private seller or dealer ? Are there service records for the vehicle, is there a way you can get a report for the car history? Have a good look underneath the car, check for leaks and rust.
The following 2 users liked this post by NYIS300awdFS:
KingpinCTID (06-09-24), Rhydg1 (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 10:08 PM
Rhydg1
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

They are relatively bullet proof cars. Not really any giant disaster known issues to look out for. But as NYIS300awdFS said, check out that specific car. Have a PPI done by a Lexus dealer or independent mechanic if your really concerned.
The following users liked this post:
KingpinCTID (06-09-24)
Old 06-09-24, 12:23 AM
KingpinCTID
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NYIS300awdFS
Are you buying from a private seller or dealer ? Are there service records for the vehicle, is there a way you can get a report for the car history? Have a good look underneath the car, check for leaks and rust.
Thanks for the info! It is from a Lexus dealership so I saw all the service records, the car was maintained and serviced regularly, 2 owners the first a lease and the second traded it in to buy a new 2024 IS300. No accidents, structural damage, or issues/recalls. I brought my friend along who isn’t a mechanic but does a little work on his own Acura and he said he didn’t see any obvious issues underneath the car or hood (he’s not an expert but I trust his word over mine in this field). When I go back next weekend I’ll give it another look over for rust or any noticeable leaks. Thanks!
Old 06-09-24, 01:56 AM
KingpinCTID
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
They are relatively bullet proof cars. Not really any giant disaster known issues to look out for. But as NYIS300awdFS said, check out that specific car. Have a PPI done by a Lexus dealer or independent mechanic if your really concerned.
I appreciate the response! A PPI would be great idea to further ease the mind and solidly my decision. I’m not sure my mechanic would be so inclined to make the long trip over since I found this one quite aways from where I live. Since it’s an actual Lexus dealership with a full service station selling the car, I’m a little more confident they aren’t tryna flip a lemon on me. That combined with like you said Lexus’ reputation for reliability/durability, the well maintained service history, and looking over it in person leaves me no real reason to be skeptical. I was just curious if there was anything extra to look out for with this model or year. Thanks again for the reply, this would be the first Lexus I’ve owned so I appreciate all the personal experiences and general info I get!
Old 06-09-24, 05:17 AM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

I would feel good that the vehicle is at a Lexus dealer and there are service records and no accident history. Is the car you are contemplating equipped with a 4 cylinder turbo engine or with a naturally aspirated V6 ?
I purchased my car remotely by looking at videos the dealer provided, from a Nissan dealership, no service history to speak of and only what I could see on a Carfax report. Your situation is far better than mine was. I Can tell you I went ahead with my purchase beginning of March and have driven my car about 5,000 miles so far. My 2017 IS300 has been 100% trouble free so far. It had 58,000 miles on the odometer at the time and I drove 1,000 miles home from the dealer. I immediately set out to have the 60,000 mile service done and brought the car up to date on all required maintenance. Your purchase sounds ideal to me, I wish I would have found my vehicle in a situation like yours. I did pay $21,900 for my car, it was the lowest price car I found. I did spend some $ performing the 60,000 service but I did most of the work myself. I paid the dealer to do the transmission oil service and the front and rear differentials. I purchased all oem parts for the job, such as spark plugs and filters. I’m extremely happy with my purchase, prices have come down a bit since I made my purchase but I have not yet found a car like mine for less money. My vehicle has the V6 engine, that is what I wanted, I wouldn’t by a 4 cylinder turbo IS.

Last edited by NYIS300awdFS; 06-09-24 at 05:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NYIS300awdFS:
KingpinCTID (06-09-24), Rhydg1 (06-10-24)
Old 06-09-24, 11:58 AM
KingpinCTID
8th Gear

I would feel good that the vehicle is at a Lexus dealer and there are service records and no accident history. Is the car you are contemplating equipped with a 4 cylinder turbo engine or with a naturally aspirated V6 ?
I purchased my car remotely by looking at videos the dealer provided, from a Nissan dealership, no service history to speak of and only what I could see on a Carfax report. Your situation is far better than mine was. I Can tell you I went ahead with my purchase beginning of March and have driven my car about 5,000 miles so far. My 2017 IS300 has been 100% trouble free so far. It had 58,000 miles on the odometer at the time and I drove 1,000 miles home from the dealer. I immediately set out to have the 60,000 mile service done and brought the car up to date on all required maintenance. Your purchase sounds ideal to me, I wish I would have found my vehicle in a situation like yours. I did pay $21,900 for my car, it was the lowest price car I found. I did spend some $ performing the 60,000 service but I did most of the work myself. I paid the dealer to do the transmission oil service and the front and rear differentials. I purchased all oem parts for the job, such as spark plugs and filters. I’m extremely happy with my purchase, prices have come down a bit since I made my purchase but I have not yet found a car like mine for less money. My vehicle has the V6 engine, that is what I wanted, I wouldn’t by a 4 cylinder turbo IS.
I hear you! I was incredibly lucky with the timing and the one I have reserved was newly listed within the 2nd week of my search. I was looking at a couple of 2019 and 2020 IS300’s but they were the stock variant with the v4/RWD and then sure enough this 2018 F-Sport popped up pretty far away but everything online looked great so I had to check it out in person. Mine is no where near 1,000 miles away like yours hahaha, that’s some real dedication! I guess the best way to decide if you like it is to immediately take it on a long long road trip lol! The one I have on hold for me is the F-Sport version so it has a 3.5L v6 and AWD with all the other F-Sport package bonuses.

Before this I had a used 2021 Audi A4 under 20k miles when I bought it and I liked driving it but it was frequently having silly little issues so I was done with it and sold it and have been driving my Dad’s old 2009 camry in the meantime that he held onto through 2 new cars cause he loved it. It has 170k miles on it and runs like its new which is first hand proof of the renown Toyota/Lexus reliability. The difference of how that v6 sounded in the IS on my test drive compared to the Camrys v4 was enough to push me towards buying it haha but I loved how everything else felt too.

Wow $21,900 with 50k miles is a great price compared to what I’ve been able to find! I certainly have not been able to find one with reasonable mileage under $25,000 and that’s before fees and tax. I know how to do the very baseline standard maintenance, oil change, lights, fluids, etc but I’m not nearly as handy as what you did so I’ll likely end up overpaying for the services. I’m really glad your purchase worked out and I love the pic! Ever since Lexus released this generation of IS bodies in 2014, I have always loved the exterior design and obviously still do. I’ve also heard nothing but fantastic things about the IS300 F-Sports. Hopefully I’ll be driving it home this next weekend (and will no longer have to listen to my girlfriend try and persuade me to buy a pickup truck instead hahahah). I truly appreciate all your input and personal experience with your IS. I wish you good health, good luck, and happy driving!
Old 06-09-24, 05:11 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

This 2019 popped up near me, I’d be going for it had I not already made a purchase.

Last edited by NYIS300awdFS; 06-09-24 at 05:53 PM.
KingpinCTID (06-11-24)
Old 06-11-24, 08:30 PM
KingpinCTID
8th Gear

This 2019 popped up near me, I’d be going for it had I not already made a purchase.
The moment I drive off the lot I am not looking at any car sites for a long time hahahaha. Would hate to see one pop up that would’ve rivaled the one I’m buying. But honestly I had been searching for a little while off and on the past year before really locking in and finding this one and have continued to search everyday expanding the distance radius while I wait for my appointment to purchase and I haven’t seen one that I would even consider entertaining. As long as it looks and drives exactly like it did this past weekend I will be driving it off the lot without hesitation and will have no doubts this was the one.

Last edited by KingpinCTID; 06-11-24 at 08:45 PM.
NYIS300awdFS (06-12-24)
Old 06-15-24, 08:12 AM
smitty2919
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

My wife and I just looked at a 2017 IS300 AWD FSport. Listed by a Mercedes dealership for $25k and 68K mi.

Solid car, feels strong. My wife currently has a 2008 IS250 AWD and the dreaded carbon buildup. Also has developed the variable cam gear rattle on startup...ugh.
KingpinCTID (06-20-24)
Old 06-21-24, 12:19 AM
KingpinCTID
8th Gear

Originally Posted by smitty2919
My wife and I just looked at a 2017 IS300 AWD FSport. Listed by a Mercedes dealership for $25k and 68K mi.

Solid car, feels strong. My wife currently has a 2008 IS250 AWD and the dreaded carbon buildup. Also has developed the variable cam gear rattle on startup...ugh.
Sorry to hear about the issues with your wife’s current car. From what I’ve read the carbon build up issue was fixed with the 3rd Gen models and I hope I never have to identify and figure out what the cam gear rattle issue is on mine lol. The 3rd Gen IS is certainly a hot seller at the moment at least in my area and it’s been a pain to find one matching the specs I want. Last weekend I went to buy a 2018 IS300 FSport that I put a deposit down on with 55k miles for $25k at a Lexus Dealership. They took it in the shop to certify it before the sale and found a crack in the headlight fixture that caused $10k worth of electrical damages. Lexus were upfront and honest with me which I really appreciated and they refunded my deposit.

I thought it was going to take forever to find another one but by some stroke of luck on Wednesday I found a newly listed that day 2020 IS300 FSport with only 20k miles for $31k and had already passed the inspection to be certified pre owned by Lexus. It is 2.5 hours from me so I took off work and went there, test drove it, negotiated a final price, signed the papers, and put down a deposit to hold it so I could get a certified check from the bank for payment which I have now. Going to pay for it and pick it up Saturday and I couldn’t be happier with how things worked out from the nightmare scenario and disappointment with the first one, to then finding a newer one with 35k less miles, in pristine condition, lexus certified pre owned, and in my preferred color obsidian black. Best of luck on your guys search for a new one and hopefully you’ll love the one you find!
NYIS300awdFS (06-21-24)