IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 07:37 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I was just simply pointing out that all BMWs have the same rear lighting which is what Ydooby (and I) would like to see...
Old 09-03-12, 01:48 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
^Hmm there's the L-shaped brake lights but they're not made of LED tubes, just individual LEDs? That would be too bad (and inconsistent).
iirc the GS also has individual LEDs as brake lights. The LED tubes come on with the tail lights, so may be it's the same here. I like the LED tubes, so hopefully the new IS has them too.

EDIT: well i just checked, and apparently I was mistaken. The LED tubes in the outer taillights do come on as the brake lights as well.

Last edited by raptor22; 09-03-12 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 02:24 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

Joining the Bavarian automakers, Lexus’s future lineup of sedans will be better described as “small, medium, and large” than as 3 disparately styled vehicles. We’ve learned from sources on a number of continents that when the next IS comes to market for the 2014 model year, it will draw heavily on the look of the new GS and revised LS. The smaller IS could be even more aggressively styled as the company tries to make a name for what has been a relatively anonymous entry. It’s possible we’ll see the car as early as September, at the Paris auto show.

“When you’re a challenger brand . . . you can’t afford to be evolutionary,” a Lexus exec recently told Australia’s The Age newspaper. To that end, we’re expecting a rakish IS sedan, which may be shaped to look particularly low and wide, like the current IS F. The teaser image above, released earlier this year, shows the IS’s corporate “spindle” grille—an attractive design feature that probably didn’t need as much attention as Lexus has given it—along with a liberal use of high-intensity lighting, including LEDs.

We’ve also learned that the U.S. is unlikely to see the hybrid version of the next IS. It’s being developed with Europe in mind, where Lexus has defined its brand as a luxury hybrid company. (In England, for instance, the RX and LS are offered exclusively in hybrid form.) In the U.S., however, Lexus’s hybrid-focused marketing strategy has had only mixed results. The CT200h sells pretty well, and roughly one in eight RX sales are for the hybrid. But customers never warmed up to the last-gen GS450h, and Lexus dealers move fewer than 10 LS hybrids per month. Adding heavy, expensive, complicated batteries and motors to the IS probably just isn’t worth it for a few dozen sales, which can instead go to the ES and CT hybrids.

Unfortunately, our sources haven’t been able to pass along any info about the next high-performance IS F. But we haven’t given up yet.
I believe I have posted the actual teaser already and it isn't the one above as that's the GS. The IS wasn't included in the main teasers, but in a sneakier one on in January that a few of us captured from the LF-LC presentation.
Old 09-03-12, 02:30 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by cino
Sweet. Thanks for the head up, cmk1.
Your welcome, I can imagine it's been a long wait for everyone since the facelift in 2008 and then test mules in 2010.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Though as I have gotten older and tired of teasers and camo-pics most of me just wants to see the real thing.
Yep, it's been a long 7 1/2 years we've all been waiting. I thought we would have seen some spy images sooner, but thankfully after over 2 weeks it seems the very first spy images have shown up at MotorTrend. Hopefully within 2-3 months we'll see something. Since it's likely not a facelift, it means we might have to wait 3 months rather than the two on the LS facelift.
Old 09-03-12, 02:36 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrMut
This was posted in the IS forums as a possible spy pic of the new IS:

http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2012/08/Mystery-spy.jpg

Excellent! I knew my source was thankfully telling the truth, I just don't know why it took spy photographers so long to spot it. These have been in testing for nearly a month and somehow they managed to still avoid them for 3-4 weeks. Too bad I won't be buying one as I hoped I would as I hear they won't offer a manual anymore. Hopefully Infiniti will on the next G or if not I will make the stretch to BMW for once.
Old 09-03-12, 05:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Does the 3 Series get the same screen as the 7 Series? What about the same seats? This consistency talk can go on all day long.

Companies like Benz and Lexus have flagships that push the whole luxury market forward. Truthfully, the A8 and 7 Series have never really pushed the luxury market forward that much. Historically it has been the S-Class and LS, so of course the S-Class and LS always have features the other vehicles in the lineup don't have, as an example.

More importantly, we haven't yet seen what the new IS actually looks like. People as usual making ridiculous conclusions based on a heavily-camouflaged spy pic of the car.
3 series interior and build quality is consistently crap compared to 5 series

:-)
Old 09-05-12, 03:43 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

From the spy pic it does look as if the new IS has lost its coupe'ish profile, which is great news, showing Lexus has listened to its customers and improved its rear passenger room and trunk space.
Old 09-06-12, 11:41 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More at Link
Old 09-06-12, 11:58 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And so it begins!
Old 09-06-12, 12:24 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
And so it begins!
dat wheel gap...
Old 09-06-12, 01:00 PM
08IS350
Driver

scary wheel gap. camry SE and civic has tighter wheel gap. What is wrong Lexus. Also it seems very high above the ground. Not like european.
Old 09-06-12, 01:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Losing coupe-like profile is a bad thing, not a good thing. We enthusiasts want our sedans to look sporty, not homely. In the car above, the greenhouse appears taller, but not too different.
Wheel gap is horrible.
Parts of it look like an Infiniti, other parts look Lexus.
Still too early to make a conclusion.
Old 09-06-12, 01:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...aaaand here we are judging a completely taped up, preproduction test mule for something like wheel gap. Come on guys, they could be testing the ML audio system for all we know!

Old 09-06-12, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

cool, it comes with roof spoiler?
Old 09-06-12, 02:15 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Cool. Is that a bucket seat that I see?

EDIT: NVM, must be just a coat.

Last edited by ydooby; 09-06-12 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit