IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 10:52 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Those look very similar to the Camry SE's wheels, so I strongly hope Lexus does NOT use those wheels.
Really? Other than both being 5-spoke I fail to find similarities between the two wheel styles.

The wheel design on the ActiveHybrid 3 is clever because it's the closest thing you can get to real, aerodynamic dish wheels without looking dorky like this:
Old 10-04-12, 11:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Here is a picture for you:

They have a similar "blade" design. Yes they differ in details, but the design is similar.
Old 10-04-12, 11:20 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Here is a picture for you:

They have a similar "blade" design. Yes they differ in details, but the design is similar.
Let's just say your definition of "similar" is... um... topological..

By using your definition I find the wheels of the GS460 equally "similar" to the above two.

So is it OK for the next IS to sport "similar" wheels now that we've established that they had been used on the GS460 too?

Last edited by ydooby; 10-04-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-04-12, 11:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

like Accord wheels?

They usually do test with production wheels.
Old 10-04-12, 11:55 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are similar, they both have the 'blade' effect going on. The BMW's is going in a reverse direction than the Camry SE's, and it has some black. Other than that, they look very much alike. And the Honda wheels are almost dead on.
Old 10-04-12, 11:59 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
like Accord wheels?

They usually do test with production wheels.
Nice find, never seen those Accord wheels myself. They do look a lot more similar to the AH3 wheels in concept than those on the Camry SE, the point of which being the use of contrasting colors to create spokes that appear to be much slimmer than they actually are.
Old 10-04-12, 12:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Nice find, never seen those Accord wheels myself. They do look a lot more similar to the AH3 wheels in concept than those on the Camry SE, the point of which being the use of contrasting colors to create spokes that appear to be much slimmer than they actually are.
its in the car chat thread about hybrid Accord, few below this one :-).

Plenty of other cars use the same thing, some of them quite cheap, so I am not sure how are you equating that to the price.
Old 10-04-12, 12:13 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
its in the car chat thread about hybrid Accord, few below this one :-).
Ah I knew it has to be new because I've never seen these before. So Honda and BMW came up with the same solution to aesthetics and aerodynamics at the same time. Very interesting.
Plenty of other cars use the same thing, some of them quite cheap, so I am not sure how are you equating that to the price.
Really? I guess I've seen too few cars then.

Last edited by ydooby; 10-04-12 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-04-12, 04:34 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Please nobody whine about the camo IS wheels...

I can't wait to see the line up base, hybrid, Fsport.
Old 10-04-12, 06:07 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G Star
Please nobody whine about the camo IS wheels...
Why shouldn't we? Recent Lexus camo'd prototypes had all been spotted with what eventually turned out to be production wheels. We need to get our voices heard before it's too late (if it isn't already).

Those wheels as seen on the IS hybrid prototype are NOT fit for a premium sport sedan (not even for an entry-level one), and I'm fairly sure this is a sentiment everyone here can agree on.

Last edited by ydooby; 10-04-12 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-05-12, 05:46 AM
ejbmejia20
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I thing is going to be more than that.
Old 10-05-12, 09:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Why shouldn't we? Recent Lexus camo'd prototypes had all been spotted with what eventually turned out to be production wheels. We need to get our voices heard before it's too late (if it isn't already).

Those wheels as seen on the IS hybrid prototype are NOT fit for a premium sport sedan (not even for an entry-level one), and I'm fairly sure this is a sentiment everyone here can agree on.
why arent they? I dont see whats wrong with them... very similar wheels on current euro IS as it is.
they will probably have 5-6 different wheels depending on configuration.
Old 10-06-12, 03:00 PM
LexFather

Without sharing specifics the build of the IS has a lot of learnings from the LFA. Don't expect carbon fiber but the chassis will have a new process that promises incredible rigidity.

With Lexus dominating sporty cars from Asia not sure what the other brands points are as they get fluffier. Lexus will truly dominate from end to end. I love it

Old 10-06-12, 03:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Without sharing specifics the build of the IS has a lot of learnings from the LFA. Don't expect carbon fiber but the chassis will have a new process that promises incredible rigidity.

With Lexus dominating sporty cars from Asia not sure what the other brands points are as they get fluffier. Lexus will truly dominate from end to end. I love it
This is Infiniti's only shot it seems. They have the 2014 G to get it right, new 3-Series and ATS are out, cards have been played. The G35 coupe was a thing of beauty. The G37.. not so much. Very feminine looking, not to mention the terribly coarse VQ37. What a step backwards. Let's hope this new G get's them two steps forward. It will have to hit the ground running when it gets released otherwise it'll be forgotten quickly again. The 3IS is going to be WOT when it bows at dealers and it won't let up. It's already going to be the most aggressive (at least in F-Sport) design in the segment and if it drives like it's older 4GS brother, lights out.
Old 10-06-12, 03:16 PM
ejbmejia20
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I thing is going to have new front like gs

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit