IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-12, 04:32 PM
rocks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet gentlemen, the 3IS will only be a winner if it can dethrone the 3 series in sales. Driving dynamics alone does not sell cars, there is still a stigma out there amongst euro cars shoppers who is peculiarly bias towards the brand and would never consider their products no matter how good they are. I have a hard time conveying to these people the strides Lexus have been making; they simply will not buy an IS. I don't know how Lexus can eliminate or lessen that conundrum.
Old 10-06-12, 04:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks
Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet gentlemen, the 3IS will only be a winner if it can dethrone the 3 series in sales. Driving dynamics alone does not sell cars, there is still a stigma out there amongst euro cars shoppers who is peculiarly bias towards the brand and would never consider their products no matter how good they are. I have a hard time conveying to these people the strides Lexus have been making; they simply will not buy an IS. I don't know how Lexus can eliminate or lessen that conundrum.
not really... i would guess the goal is to sell more cars, but it would be hard to sell more than 3 series... IS doesnt try to be a car for everyone like 3 series, as Lexus has ES.
Old 10-06-12, 06:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This is Infiniti's only shot it seems. They have the 2014 G to get it right, new 3-Series and ATS are out, cards have been played. The G35 coupe was a thing of beauty. The G37.. not so much. Very feminine looking, not to mention the terribly coarse VQ37. What a step backwards. Let's hope this new G get's them two steps forward. It will have to hit the ground running when it gets released otherwise it'll be forgotten quickly again. The 3IS is going to be WOT when it bows at dealers and it won't let up. It's already going to be the most aggressive (at least in F-Sport) design in the segment and if it drives like it's older 4GS brother, lights out.
With it being German engineered they can't even advertise ethically their Japanese advertisement campaign. The fishy styling ain't working and I really hope for their sake they don't screw it up as things are already bad for them here and internationally.

Originally Posted by rocks
The 1IS actually was the best steering/handling in class in many reviews but that was swept under the rug. The 2IS is a winner and blew past sales goals and 7/8 years later still sells relatively well. The IS is not Lexus volume car and I am not talking about sales.

The updated IS F, LFA, GS are all hailed for being great handling cars and the 3IS will continue that. The Lexus F-sport program has been a huge success in regards to reviews and sales.

We all know there is no such thing as a 3 series killer, well those of us with brains. I expect the 3IS to be another shot to the competition that Lexus continues to build some new amazing drivers cars.

Again, when yall hear about the way the IS is built compared to the competition it will blow you away.

Old 10-06-12, 06:57 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Without sharing specifics the build of the IS has a lot of learnings from the LFA. Don't expect carbon fiber but the chassis will have a new process that promises incredible rigidity.
Again, when yall hear about the way the IS is built compared to the competition it will blow you away.
You have piqued my interest, where did you hear/read this?
Old 10-06-12, 07:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
You have piqued my interest, where did you hear/read this?
I've shared a lot, can't share this yet. Sorry. Again the development and LFA has its engineering clearly trickling down. Its really awesome to see the LFA influence continue to spread.

Old 10-06-12, 07:59 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

I've shared a lot, can't share this yet. Sorry. Again the development and LFA has its engineering clearly trickling down. Its really awesome to see the LFA influence continue to spread.
But is it real or speculation?
Old 10-06-12, 08:21 PM
LexFather

But is it real or speculation?
Check the Resume bud If its speculation I always preface my thoughts with "this is speculation".

Old 10-06-12, 09:40 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the new IS, likely the F model, will have some carbon fibre parts. Cool.

Oh never mind, just read the previous page.
Old 10-06-12, 11:06 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Without sharing specifics the build of the IS has a lot of learnings from the LFA. Don't expect carbon fiber but the chassis will have a new process that promises incredible rigidity.

With Lexus dominating sporty cars from Asia not sure what the other brands points are as they get fluffier. Lexus will truly dominate from end to end. I love it
I disagree. The Infiniti G series are proven sporty cars. Lexus still have to prove to the world they can make sporty cars and lose the "cars for old people" image.
Old 10-06-12, 11:43 PM
rocks
Driver

I'm already on board, it's highly unlikely that I'll buy another bimmer.
Old 10-07-12, 12:52 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by F1Driver
I disagree. The Infiniti G series are proven sporty cars. Lexus still have to prove to the world they can make sporty cars and lose the "cars for old people" image.
New GS and Refreshed IS-F are not "car for old people" who want comfy.
Old 10-07-12, 04:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
thats what the ES is for, do you think everyone buying a 36-40k car wants a sports sedan?
Old 10-07-12, 10:10 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Check the Resume bud If its speculation I always preface my thoughts with "this is speculation".
Wouldn't the new IS be based on the new GS platform? If so why would they develop a different manufacturing process for the IS, but not for the GS?
Old 10-07-12, 11:01 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Wouldn't the new IS be based on the new GS platform? If so why would they develop a different manufacturing process for the IS, but not for the GS?
I will take a wild guess and say that it probably has something to do with the IS-F.
Old 10-07-12, 01:08 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
thats what the ES is for, do you think everyone buying a 36-40k car wants a sports sedan?
Historically, I don't see Lexus winning sporty cars comparison tests and I mean based on pure raw objective performance numbers. Lexus always seem to be a step or two behind the competition.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit