IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 09:55 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Can you point to me where it said that the A6 had the optional sport package? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
CarandDriver not being able to fathom giving the win in such a comparison to a Lexus vs a German Audi equipped a sport package with the A6 and neglected to mention it in the actual article (note the absence of the Audi's option packages in the article). But according to Insideline, to get the 19 inch wheels and 3 spoke steering wheel, the A6 needs to be equipped with the $1500 Sport package (which also gives it better tires and sport suspension). That combined with the $475 Aviator Blue metallic paint which C&D has brings the price within $500 of their as tested price and this combo was likely their chosen option configuration.

Beatened the M from a performance point of view? Where can I find these comparisons?
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-10-12 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 10:27 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

How about looking at the objective performance numbers for once. Subjective preferences mean squat on a racetrack.
Beatened the M from a performance point of view? Where can I find these comparisons?
http://www.insideline.com/lexus/gs-3...full-test.html
http://www.insideline.com/infiniti/m...and-video.html

GS350 has higher 1/4 mile trap speed 99.9mph vs the Infiniti M37S 99.0mph

slightly better skidpad : 0.88g vs 0.86 g for the M37S

Most crucially, it has significantly faster slalom speed (a test of chassis balance and ability to perform quick transitions) : 69.7mph vs 67.9mph

Also, if you're interested, here are 4 comparison tests where the current Lexus GS has beaten the current Infiniti M :

1.http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html
2.http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...d/viewall.html
3.http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/08/1...infiniti-m35h/

Last edited by natnut; 10-10-12 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

F1Driver. Please leave this thread. Moderator has asked everyone to get back on topic and you choose to ignore. Everyone else get back on topic or you are exiting the thread too
Old 10-11-12, 06:55 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
F1Driver. Please leave this thread. Moderator has asked everyone to get back on topic and you choose to ignore. Everyone else get back on topic or you are exiting the thread too
This is on topic. We're discussing whether the 4GS chassis is actually any good for the new IS which shares that chassis. Comparing the 4GS to its competition gives a hint at how the new IS will perform next to its competition.
Old 10-11-12, 08:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
This is on topic. We're discussing whether the 4GS chassis is actually any good for the new IS which shares that chassis. Comparing the 4GS to its competition gives a hint at how the new IS will perform next to its competition.
discussing whether 4gs chassis has an impact on the 3is, yes. we never tried to stop that. arguing 4gs performance with other competitors, no. and that's why F1Drive was asked to exit the thread. davegs4 made it clear, bitkahuna made it clear, and i did.
Old 10-17-12, 06:45 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

I wonder if the next IS cabriolet will actually be based on the production version of the LF-CC or remain primarily based on what I presume to be the IS "XE30" chassis? Seeing it up close rather than in pictures really showed how much bigger it is and is almost the length of an E-Class coupe(though C-Class-based). In other words, will the next IS cabriolet share the same platform as the coupe or remain an IS-C?
Old 10-17-12, 08:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
I wonder if the next IS cabriolet will actually be based on the production version of the LF-CC or remain primarily based on what I presume to be the IS "XE30" chassis? Seeing it up close rather than in pictures really showed how much bigger it is and is almost the length of an E-Class coupe(though C-Class-based). In other words, will the next IS cabriolet share the same platform as the coupe or remain an IS-C?
LF-CC is same wheelbase as 2IS and only few inches longer... so it the same size car.
Old 10-17-12, 09:44 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
LF-CC is same wheelbase as 2IS and only few inches longer... so it the same size car.
Well, it looked bigger than my sister's IS350C, which makes it more understandable to me that they consider it to be mid-size.
Old 10-17-12, 09:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmk1
Well, it looked bigger than my sister's IS350C, which makes it more understandable to me that they consider it to be mid-size.
maybe it looked bigger, but it was less than 3" bigger with same wheelbase :-).
Mid-size is term used in Europe for cars of IS size... it is not bigger.
Old 10-18-12, 08:59 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyota Working On Turbo Hybrid Drivetrain For 2014 Lexus IS

The next Lexus IS is set to appear in late 2013 as a 2014 model. We’ve seen spy photos of the new car in testing, and we’ve previously reported that the car will be both sportier and more upscale than the version it replaces.

We know that a hybrid version is in the works, too, although we haven’t had much detail to bring you so far. Now, Auto Motor und Sport is reporting that the IS 250h will come to market with a turbocharged, direct-injected 2.5-liter Atkinson cycle engine, said to be good for 200 horsepower.

More impressive, however, are the car’s fuel economy gains: compared to the current IS 250, which sucks down 8.4 liters per 100 kilometers in Euro-cycle testing (the equivalent of 28 mpg), the new car will use just 4.2 liters per 100 kilometers (the equivalent of 56 mpg).

If those numbers sound like diesel fuel economy claims to you, there’s good reason: to increase efficiency under partial engine loads, intake valves have a delayed closing. This results in thermal efficiencies very similar to diesel engines, but with lower emissions.

As a reminder, Euro-cycle test numbers can be up to 30-percent optimistic compared to our own EPA estimates. Factoring that in to the equation, a 200-horsepower Lexus IS 250h that achieved a combined fuel economy over 39 mpg would still be impressive.

Forced-induction hybrids appear to be the future direction for Japanese automakers. Just yesterday, we told you about the supercharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder hybrid drivetrain that Nissan is developing for its Infiniti brand, expected to debut in the upcoming Infiniti JX Hybrid.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-2014-lexus-is
Old 10-18-12, 09:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

everything they wrote is wrong, lol.
Old 10-18-12, 09:30 AM
LexFather

I bet those new engines are for Europe not here

Old 10-18-12, 10:27 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^The Camry 2.5 hybrid already makes 200hp, without turbo or DI!! A new 2.5 turbo-DI hybrid making 200hp would be downright pathetic. The whole article must've been made up out of thin air
Old 10-18-12, 10:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
^The Camry 2.5 hybrid already makes 200hp, without turbo or DI!! A new 2.5 turbo-DI hybrid making 200hp would be downright pathetic. The whole article must've been made up out of thin air
indeed... there will be no turbo in hybrid...and it will make more than 200hp :-)
Old 10-19-12, 11:50 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 478 Likes on 316 Posts

At the moment, I'm just worried the next generation IS will have a 4 cylinder engine, the wonderful 2.5 V6 will be deleted, while the 3.5 V6 is a bit too big as a regular engine for this size of car, and the standard model suspension will still be too firm?
I'm not sure if they'll get the styling right either; Lexus is so inconsistent when it comes to styling.
We'll just have to wait and see.
I'm not keen on switching over to a Benz or Beamer for my wife...

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit