IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 11:48 PM
HalDayzed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given how well the look of the current IS has aged, I think an evolutionary approach is well founded. Small exterior details and a revamp of the interior to fit with the current GS/new ES interior with a large nav/info screen will make the car competitive again.

The one thing I am curious about is that the size of its competitors has increased greatly. The IS was always a bit smaller then the C class, and the previous generation 3 series, the Audi A4, and a whole heck of a lot smaller then the G37. The 3 series in particular has undergone a size increase that makes the rear seat on that model very usable while maintaining the sporting character of the car. I wonder if Lexus will go the same route and increase the size of the IS.

I know that people will say that increasing the size of the IS will take away from its character, but without an increase in size, I think the IS is doomed to suffer in the sales department.

If Lexus were to increase the size of the new IS marginally while adopting the new exterior and interior styling cues from its recent updates, I will be in line to buy the new IS 250 AWD. If not, I will likely go for the BMW 3 series.
Old 04-18-12, 01:31 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HalDayzed
Given how well the look of the current IS has aged, I think an evolutionary approach is well founded. Small exterior details and a revamp of the interior to fit with the current GS/new ES interior with a large nav/info screen will make the car competitive again.

The one thing I am curious about is that the size of its competitors has increased greatly. The IS was always a bit smaller then the C class, and the previous generation 3 series, the Audi A4, and a whole heck of a lot smaller then the G37. The 3 series in particular has undergone a size increase that makes the rear seat on that model very usable while maintaining the sporting character of the car. I wonder if Lexus will go the same route and increase the size of the IS.

I know that people will say that increasing the size of the IS will take away from its character, but without an increase in size, I think the IS is doomed to suffer in the sales department.

If Lexus were to increase the size of the new IS marginally while adopting the new exterior and interior styling cues from its recent updates, I will be in line to buy the new IS 250 AWD. If not, I will likely go for the BMW 3 series.
There are other ways to increase interior space without growing the overall size. Altezza/1IS was such a small car from the outside, but the interior space wasn't that small. Maybe they can reduce the boot space to gain interior space or make slightly change the front and rear overhangs.
Old 04-18-12, 02:33 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
You may note that from the image below that there doesn't seem to be a separator bar on the spindle grill:

The rather Audi-esque horizontal chrome bars seem to extend to the bottom.
Yes, I am sorry about that. I have just discovered that the one with the separator bar is none other an amalgamation of the 2013 GS and the 2014 IS. I marked the differences. Also, here are some clearer pics. BTW, where did you take yours again? Were you at NAIAS in January? I got these from InsideLine.
Attached Thumbnails The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit-2014-lexus-is-xe30-front-spindle-grille.jpg   The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit-2014-lexus-is-xe30-front-spindle-grille-2.png   The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit-2014-lexus-is-xe30-2-amalg.png   The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit-2013-lexus-gs-12-2011.png  

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-18-12 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-18-12, 04:22 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ice350
I was hoping for a coupe.
If there is it might be called the Lexus IC, instead ISC for the convertible. I would pay very close attention to patent and trademark filings by Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha.
Old 04-18-12, 04:29 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
From what I heard last week the rear will have a strong character line flowing from the bottom of the door to over the rear wheel into the trunk/spoiler...

I have not seen pics
What's here doesn't mean anything, right? As in these images?

Old 04-18-12, 06:02 AM
HalDayzed
Driver School Candidate

The coupe looks great.

I understand they can create more interior volume with creative packaging. For Lexus' sake, I hope they increase the interior volume in line with its competitors. I know a small, compact, nimble road machine appeals to many, but the competition has grown up, and so should the IS. That is unless you want to pit the ES with the 3 series, G37, Audi A4, and C class. I think the ES is a better match up with near luxury cars from Buick, Acura, and the new wave of higher end mid-sized cars such as the Ford Fusion, Malibu, and Impala then with the sporting European sedans. So in my mind, a small size increase would help greatly. Judging by the pictures, the size doesn't appear to have changed.
Old 04-18-12, 12:19 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HalDayzed
The coupe looks great.

I understand they can create more interior volume with creative packaging. For Lexus' sake, I hope they increase the interior volume in line with its competitors. I know a small, compact, nimble road machine appeals to many, but the competition has grown up, and so should the IS. That is unless you want to pit the ES with the 3 series, G37, Audi A4, and C class. I think the ES is a better match up with near luxury cars from Buick, Acura, and the new wave of higher end mid-sized cars such as the Ford Fusion, Malibu, and Impala then with the sporting European sedans. So in my mind, a small size increase would help greatly. Judging by the pictures, the size doesn't appear to have changed.
If they are going to make a coupe, it will be a pretty big coupe with overall size increases. I don't mind they add up to 1 inch to the width and 2 inches to the length. In the picture, I can see it becomes a bit longer, the front and rear bumper is more extended. I could be wrong though.
Old 04-19-12, 06:11 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Toyota has their own test track at Onnebetsu, Shibetsu City, Japan. It's pretty top secret out there, so no one, and I mean NO ONE, snaps pics without Toyota knowing anything about it.
Really? Thanks for the info. I guess that explains why no one really sees anything new from them until close to the unveiling. The only thing is that Mercedes-Benz also has a private test track in Laredo, Texas that they use to test prototypes undisguised, yet you still see them on streets and in rural areas doing testing as well. I guess Japanese companies have a different philosophy and it's more of German automakers showing off publicly for the press.
Old 04-19-12, 08:36 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmk1
Really? Thanks for the info. I guess that explains why no one really sees anything new from them until close to the unveiling. The only thing is that Mercedes-Benz also has a private test track in Laredo, Texas that they use to test prototypes undisguised, yet you still see them on streets and in rural areas doing testing as well. I guess Japanese companies have a different philosophy and it's more of German automakers showing off publicly for the press.
If I remember correctly, their test track is Fuji Speedway. LFA stands for Lexus Fuji Apex. Beside owning their own test track, they have driving simulation machine that is almost identical to real time driving.
Old 04-19-12, 09:11 PM
LexFather

Well a couple of things. The GErmans don't have a big brand like Toyota behind them so they have to sell more volume, thus their 3/A4/C class continues to get bigger so they can slot the 1/A3/B class under them. The new A3 for example will offer a sedan.

Lexus doesn't HAVE to go that route and has stated they are done going downmarket with the CT. So I don't think the IS will HAVE to grow to much. The only thing I've heard is a CT coupe possibly, not a sedan.

My sources say IS coupe is coming, a hardtop coupe. If the IS remains based off the GS than the IS is going to be one hell of a great driving car considering how well the GS drives. The IS won't lose too much weight though.

Lexus is keenly aware an opportunity is rear seat room in the IS.

Old 04-19-12, 09:44 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Well a couple of things. The GErmans don't have a big brand like Toyota behind them so they have to sell more volume, thus their 3/A4/C class continues to get bigger so they can slot the 1/A3/B class under them. The new A3 for example will offer a sedan.

Lexus doesn't HAVE to go that route and has stated they are done going downmarket with the CT. So I don't think the IS will HAVE to grow to much. The only thing I've heard is a CT coupe possibly, not a sedan.

My sources say IS coupe is coming, a hardtop coupe. If the IS remains based off the GS than the IS is going to be one hell of a great driving car considering how well the GS drives. The IS won't lose too much weight though.

Thanks again 1sick. I will be in the market for a new car in 12-18months. There are 3 cars on my list now, BRZ STI( if it happens), IS coupe (F sport?) manual, WRX STI. I'm excited to hear weight on the new IS dropped. Hopefully, they bring 6 speed to 3.5L IS coupe.

Last edited by cino; 04-19-12 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-20-12, 04:53 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's something I don't understand. What do you mean by "hardtop" coupe? Is there any coupe without being hardtop? I thought that was just applied for cabriolets.

BTW, do you have any ETA for the new IS or the new IS Coupe? I believe IS cabriolet version will also be offered.
Old 04-20-12, 05:22 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asoksevil
There's something I don't understand. What do you mean by "hardtop" coupe? Is there any coupe without being hardtop? I thought that was just applied for cabriolets.
Lexus has the IS Coupe, but it's a retractable hard top, which can still be considered a coupe.
1SICK is referring to a fixed roof coupe IS.
Old 04-20-12, 08:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

i was told today that current IS will be in production for at least next 12 months.... so it seems rollout similar to GS450h, not sooner.
Old 04-20-12, 09:35 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Although I do agree that the current IS has aged extremely well (it's still a very attractive car whenever you see it on the road), a normal buyer wouldn't know the difference b/t the new design v. the old one. It's barely noticeable.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit