IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 09:31 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Is it safe to assume the 3IS coupe will be to the concept LF CC as the 4GS was to the LF GH?

That question was directed to Hoovey but anybody can answer.
Yes, very good proxy for the design and shape of the 3IS
Old 10-21-12, 09:48 PM
LexFather

Is it safe to assume the 3IS coupe will be to the concept LF CC as the 4GS was to the LF GH?

Its a preview of 2 future coupes

Old 10-21-12, 11:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Yes, very good proxy for the design and shape of the 3IS
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its a preview of 2 future coupes
Short answer yes. And as 1Sick said, 2 coupes. The concepts are certainly more radical, than the production models (LF-GH vs 4GS for ex.) but by no means timid in execution of design. The 3IS is very aggressive (and sharp vs Lexus concepts which tend to have more curves)
Old 10-22-12, 01:18 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Quick question Hoovey2411 :

will the new IS have rear steering? Either as standard or as a performance option?
Old 10-22-12, 04:01 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Short answer yes. And as 1Sick said, 2 coupes. The concepts are certainly more radical, than the production models (LF-GH vs 4GS for ex.) but by no means timid in execution of design. The 3IS is very aggressive (and sharp vs Lexus concepts which tend to have more curves)
Radical is great, these new concepts are really sending shockwaves throughout the auto industry, previous haters of the "vanilla" of Lexus design are starting to come around. The new 'radical' design + LFA inspired driving experience could help Lexus regain their #1 position.
Old 10-22-12, 11:18 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by natnut
Quick question Hoovey2411 :

will the new IS have rear steering? Either as standard or as a performance option?
I have not seen the Dynamic Rear Steer as standard or an option. Similar to how we don't really see GS's with it. Personally I believe it's a cost cutting measure, which is too bad cause it's a really great technology if you will. The GS performed great with it. When they first came out we only had one here at our dealer. Since then I've only ever seen that one.

Radical is great, these new concepts are really sending shockwaves throughout the auto industry, previous haters of the "vanilla" of Lexus design are starting to come around. The new 'radical' design + LFA inspired driving experience could help Lexus regain their #1 position.
Absolutely. Lexus is storming back despite all the set-backs.
Old 10-22-12, 06:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I have not seen the Dynamic Rear Steer as standard or an option. Similar to how we don't really see GS's with it. Personally I believe it's a cost cutting measure, which is too bad cause it's a really great technology if you will. The GS performed great with it. When they first came out we only had one here at our dealer. Since then I've only ever seen that one.

Absolutely. Lexus is storming back despite all the set-backs.
I really do have my sights set on whatever awesome coupe Lexus comes out with. Whether it be an IS F, LF LC, or new class.

What is the ETA on the LF LC production model?
Old 10-22-12, 08:31 PM
*wishlist*
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not adding much to the discussion but I saw the 2 prototypes today in my 'backyard' and tried to take a picture. Instead of taking the picture, i refocused the camera. If I didn't have to leave, I would have turned around. Hopefully I see them again and I have more time to do something.
Old 10-24-12, 11:45 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Next-Generation 2014 Lexus IS Confirmed for Detroit Auto Show

According to Motor Report, Lexus Australia CEO Tony Cramb has confirmed that the next-generation 2014 IS sedan will debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January:

Speaking with TMR in Sydney, Lexus Australia chief Tony Cramb hinted strongly that the new IS sedan, a strong-seller for Lexus in the United States, will make its debut at the biggest event on the North American motor show calendar.

Echoing statements from Lexus International president Kiyotaka Ise, Cramb also states that LF-CC concept will not translate directly into an IS coupe:

“We did confirm that the LF-CC is the basis for a D-segment coupe in the future, but we didn’t confirm that it’s necessarily IS-related,” Mr Cramb said.

“A lot of people are drawing that conclusion, but it’s not completely accurate.”

Cramb also told TMR that other bodystyles, such as a wagon, were not part of Lexus’ plans for the IS.

The last point is sure to disappoint European Lexus fans, but it’s not a surprising decision considering the brand’s focus on models that can be sold worldwide — it’s hard to think that the global market for an IS wagon would justify the expense of development.

I’m also reminded of the quote from Lexus Europe CEO Paul van der Burgh in yesterday’s LF-LC story:

“The fact that we are so committed [to the production LF-LC], automatically means that projects that have less priority will be delayed.”
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/10/2...oit-auto-show/
Old 10-25-12, 05:08 PM
LexFather

Yes we knew that

Can't wait to see it and really excited about any F-sport of IS F coupe!

Old 10-26-12, 12:01 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "super aggressive F model of the IS" that Hoovey refers to is the F-Sport or the F? If the former, then I can't imagine how crazy an IS-F would be... And will they unveil the F-sport along with the regular model in Detroit?
Old 10-26-12, 12:14 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mordecai
The "super aggressive F model of the IS" that Hoovey refers to is the F-Sport or the F? If the former, then I can't imagine how crazy an IS-F would be... And will they unveil the F-sport along with the regular model in Detroit?
F-Sport version
Old 10-26-12, 01:35 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F-Sport version
Will they reveal the coupe based on IS chassis at Detroit too?
Old 10-26-12, 01:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

F-Sport version
you have set expectations quite high my friend...

... if you dissapoint.

Old 10-26-12, 09:48 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by cino
Will they reveal the coupe based on IS chassis at Detroit too?
no just sedan

Originally Posted by spwolf
you have set expectations quite high my friend...

... if you dissapoint.

haha. Any observations I have made are obviously subjective. That said (and in all the modesty I can muster) I think I have a knack for aesthetics.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit