IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 02:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Great little review
Old 12-04-12, 02:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
You mean the IS300h won't be available in every country of Europe ? Doesn't make any sense to me since hybrid is Lexus's very identity in Europe now.
no, i mean it will be 30% more expensive in my current country vs old due to taxes, to the point of being out of my price range :-). Taxes on cars in Europe are crazy, GS450h F-Sport is $140k here without PCS, Radar Cruise and Nightview...
Old 12-04-12, 02:34 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
freaking crazy, it actually moves around like in LFA!!!!
http://www.autoweek.nl/video/3147/ri...300h-prototype

cool video from Autoweek.nl!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing this!

Love the LCD tacho ala LFA, but what's up with the funky START button placement? Car's profile is more 3 box-ish then before, which looks more appealing imho. Looks like the IS250 will be gone (good riddance) replaced by this IS300h, hopefully at the same or similar price points! Looking forward to the world reveal!

edit: crap just read the AT review...we still get the anemic IS250....

Last edited by ST430; 12-04-12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 02:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
Thanks for sharing this!

Love the LCD tacho ala LFA, but what's up with the funky START button placement? Car's profile is more 3 box-ish then before, which looks more appealing imho. Looks like the IS250 will be gone (good riddance) replaced by this IS300h, hopefully at the same or similar price points! Looking forward to the world reveal!

edit: crap just read the AT review...we still get the anemic IS250....
it seems they are moving start button in all cars to more natural position, as they dont have key option anymore so no need to have start button where old key was.

and also, for interior lovers, i found HUD buttons on one of the pics.... yay!
Old 12-04-12, 02:44 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the gauge cluster. Very cool and hi tech.
Old 12-04-12, 02:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

this one has red/cabarnet interior, looks awesome, with red on black stiching for the dash as well.... mmmmmmmm.
Old 12-04-12, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's so fantastic how much effort lexus put on the new IS and how much it takes the lfa hue. great job!
Old 12-04-12, 02:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
it's so fantastic how much effort lexus put on the new IS and how much it takes the lfa hue. great job!
it really does look like huge effort, probably the biggest of any Lexus car to date.
Old 12-04-12, 02:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Awesome, just like I said in my first response.

Also, the sound generator (with a toggle to switch on and off) to make the hybrid sound sporty is a very good idea in this case. Better than hearing the 4-banger buzz and drone under throttle for sure.
indeed... there is an M5-style sound generator with special speaker positioned centrally in the interior that makes grumbling noises as you accelerate, in accordance to rpm's.

also another UK "review" said that 2.5l V6 and Hybrid will have 218bhp and 215bhp, except we know it is 208hp for V6, so who knows at the end if hybrid will end up having 240hp or not.
Old 12-04-12, 03:32 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AutoGuide's very detailed test drive review:
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...ideo-2312.html
Old 12-04-12, 03:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am blown away by the gauge cluster. Its straight up LFA in the IS. I love it. Great move by Lexus. Its going to be the conversation piece of the car
Old 12-04-12, 03:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

ah, 2 cup holders are on the passanger side of central arm rest :-)... so we get 2 cup holders finally but passanger wont be able to rest their hand on them if they are full :-).... sucks to be them!

And ydooby you can adjust the volume of fake engine noise generator too :-)
Old 12-04-12, 03:55 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Edmunds' first drive sounds completely underwhelming. Boo. Interior looks great and is very competitive, if not groundbreaking.

Originally Posted by Edmunds

We'll leave the critical details about the 2014 Lexus IS to your imagination largely because Lexus left them to ours. But yesterday we slid still-disguised F-Sport trim levels of the IS 250 and IS 350 around a wet road course. We also blasted them up a canyon road with impunity. Still, the details didn't materialize.

The impressions, however, did.

What We Know So Far
When it comes to hard facts about the next-generation Lexus IS sedan, here's what we know right now: The new car's wheelbase is longer and it is marginally heavier. How much isn't clear in either case, but based on the improved rear-seat space we'd say the wheelbase is stretched at least 1.5 inches, maybe more given the 3.1-inch chasm between the current IS and the Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series.

Assuming our lip-reading skills are still well tuned, weight will increase about 90 pounds depending on feature content.

Engines from the two styles are carried over into the new car. That means about 200 horsepower from the 2.5-liter V6 in the IS 250 and about 300 hp from the 3.5-liter V6 in the IS 350. One major upgrade for the IS 350 will be the use of the Aisin-built eight-speed automatic from the company's IS F and LS models. IS 250 styles will continue to use the same six-speed auto. Manual transmissions, it seems, will continue to be as rare as zoomie headers at Lexus.

Body and suspension revisions are minor. Their main goal is to bring more chassis stiffness, ride control latitude and trunk space.

It isn't an all-new IS, but it is a subtly different car on the road.

How the Lexus IS Feels Behind the Wheel
Pound the new 2014 Lexus IS around a wet autocross course like we did and you'll notice it's simply not as lively as the old car. It's not as eager to change directions in many instances, but the longer wheelbase delivers stability in places the current model doesn't. Whether this matters to you probably depends a lot on how often you plan to hammer your IS around a wet autocross course.

But a wet autocross is a less critical dynamic measure than, say, the Nürburgring, where Toyota proves its performance cars. Junichi Furuyama, IS chief engineer, didn't say the new car is slower there, but he admitted as much by saying its time wasn't measured.

Even if this is the case, it's hard to argue with the results on the road. In that environment the car is predictable, stable and still plenty rapid. And that's exactly what Lexus wanted — a sedan that's simple, safe and still enjoyable to drive.

In the new IS there are modest grip limits combined with excellent balance and solid manners at speed. It's what we'd expect from a Lexus sport sedan — good, sanitary fun.

The Real Goal
According to Furuyama, the primary goal with the new car wasn't to make it faster anyway, but rather to produce a machine with immediate response that doesn't compromise comfort.

A stiffer body structure is the primary means to gaining latitude in both arenas, according to Furuyama. Structural improvements include additional spot welds, laser screw welds and about 80 feet of adhesive, which isn't present in the current IS.

The IS's double-wishbone front and multilink rear suspensions are still present. Out back, however, there's a new suspension design borrowed from the larger GS sedan. It separates the previous suspension's concentric spring/damper assembly and places the spring inboard of the damper. This increases the distance between the suspension towers, which produces more trunk space.

A 20 percent increase in front stabilizer bar rigidity aids body control and steering feel, while the addition of active dampers allows more (or less) compliance to compensate in ride quality.

Also high on Furuyama's priority list was a tangible increase in road feel through the steering, as well as improved on-center feedback. What he's achieved isn't quite as clear. Certainly the steering feel is different. It is abundant enough to guide the car sideways between cones, so who are we to complain? There's more weight when Sport Plus mode is engaged, but in Normal mode differences are negligible. There's nothing bad here, but also nothing revolutionary.

The New Eight-Speed Transmission
More gears are nice, but the new eight-speed in the Lexus IS 350 isn't as obedient as it should be in many situations. Upshifts, for example, are still automatic when the shifter is moved to the manual gate and aggressive downshifts are often denied. These are early prototypes, so calibration changes are still possible.

We got lost in its many gear ratios more than once, but that's an adjustment that would come with more seat time. Plus, there are genuine benefits to this many gears. Increased fuel economy and plausibly better acceleration both come to mind.

One interface that is certainly improved is the IS's instrument panel, which is a multimode thin-film transistor display similar to that of the 2012 Lexus LFA. Swap the drive mode from Eco to Normal to Sport Plus and the center-mounted tachometer changes attitudes accordingly.

All the Tech That Would Fit
Unable to resist the pull of acronym alphabet soup, the 2014 Lexus IS offers Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) and Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) coupled to Drive Mode Select (DMS).

Eco, Normal and Sport drive modes are chosen via a center-console-mounted ****. The variable-rate dampers change with drive modes, becoming stiffer as more aggressive settings are picked. Steering ratio slows as vehicle speed increases, independent of drive mode. These two features aren't available on the IS 250, where switching to Sport mode changes only the throttle calibration.

New seats are a worthy improvement, providing the ample bolstering that the current car critically lacks. They also place the driver's hip point about 0.75 inch lower in the body, which is sure to be a popular improvement with the long of torso.

More To Come Soon
Much like the power, weight and wheelbase specs on the 2014 Lexus IS, pricing for the new sedan remains a mystery. Expect full details when Lexus officially unveils the IS at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show next month.

Until then, know that this latest IS isn't a ground-breaker, but based on this brief drive it's got both the comfort and dynamic ability to solidly compete.

Even without zoomie headers.

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/is/2...rst-drive.html

Old 12-04-12, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

DRIVING
The cars are waiting and the first job is a couple of track laps in the superseded IS, just to set the ground rules. Onto the track and the new transmission is more aggressive in its response, the front end grips better and the car sits a little flatter through the curves.
So I step up to the camo 350 and find more of the same, with extra urge of course, and a bit more compliance in the rear suspension. But it's the road drive that will provide the real answers, so we hit the freeway and head for the hills. Literally.
The IS250 is immediately quieter than I remember - Furuyama confirms big cuts to wind and road noise - and the eight-speed auto is great. As the road turns twisty the IS responds in the way I used to expect from a BMW. It responds eagerly to the wheel and drives confidently through turns.
The IS350 is not as precise - with an extra 30 kilograms in the nose - but the extra punch makes any short straight a fun run. I also enjoy the LF-A-style instruments and the multi-mode automatic, which responds almost like a manual in the sportiest setting.
So I'm convinced. These are real driving cars for people who take their motoring seriously, but they also have the sort of practical improvements that are essential for the long-flawed IS. Yes, the IS could do with more punch as both a 250 and a 350, I'm not a fan of plumbing engine noise into the cabin, and one of the suspension set-ups is significantly better for grip and comfort.
But those are relatively small things. Overall it's a great drive. There was a time when the IS was really just a tweaked Toyota, but the new cars have grown up and improved in so many ways. Now I'm waiting to get the 'real' car out from under the camo and onto some home roads to ensure I have the story right. But, right now, it looks to me as if the BMW benchmark batton has been snitched by the IS.
VERDICT

A one-day run is not enough for a final verdict, but I have rarely pushed a car as hard as I did in the California canyons - or hustled as enthusiastically as I did on a closed course at the Santa Anita raceway - without finding something big to complain about.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...totype_review/
Old 12-04-12, 04:15 PM
LexFather

If anyone watched the auto guide videos you will notice the cool new way to change the temperature.. You slide your finger up and down.. No button!

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Edmunds' first drive sounds completely underwhelming. Boo. Interior looks great and is very competitive, if not groundbreaking.
It won't be a Hyundai.. Overhyped and driving like a 10 year old car.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit