IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 04:18 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edmunds
Body and suspension revisions are minor. Their main goal is to bring more chassis stiffness, ride control latitude and trunk space.

It isn't an all-new IS, but it is a subtly different car on the road.
So if the GS is all new and the new IS is based on the new GS, then why isn't the IS considered all new?
Old 12-04-12, 04:25 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
It won't be a Hyundai.. Overhyped and driving like a 10 year old car.
Easy now, I'm not one of the blind Hyundai lovers coming out of the woodwork. To be completely honest, you won't catch me driving one because I'm too much of a snob.

I just had/have high hopes for the IS. I was hoping it would be one of my class favorites right next to the facelifted C-class (I don't like the exterior of the new 3-series or the rear of the ATS and I'm not a huge Audi fan).

I'm no anti-Lexus person, I almost bought a used LS460 but decided it was just too big for me right now.
Old 12-04-12, 04:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
So if the GS is all new and the new IS is based on the new GS, then why isn't the IS considered all new?
unfortunately, it is just shoddy reporting... it is all new and compared to 2IS, gets completely new rear suspension like GS.
Old 12-04-12, 04:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Easy now, I'm not one of the blind Hyundai lovers coming out of the woodwork. To be completely honest, you won't catch me driving one because I'm too much of a snob.

I just had/have high hopes for the IS. I was hoping it would be one of my class favorites right next to the facelifted C-class (I don't like the exterior of the new 3-series or the rear of the ATS and I'm not a huge Audi fan).

I'm no anti-Lexus person, I almost bought a used LS460 but decided it was just too big for me right now.
why wouldnt you have high hopes for IS still?
Old 12-04-12, 04:33 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
why wouldnt you have high hopes for IS still?
I wanted it to be like the GS, arguably the most sporting in its class. The reviews you posted seem more promising than the one I posted. We'll see.
Old 12-04-12, 04:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I wanted it to be like the GS, arguably the most sporting in its class. The reviews you posted seem more promising than the one I posted. We'll see.
if you didnt see this one, this seems to be best one of them:

it is basically shortened GS350, with better transmission, less weight and sportier. Looks better IMHO, and more Lexus-like... still GS350 will be more luxurious for sure.
Old 12-04-12, 04:41 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Infiniti G37 and TL is redesign next year maybe. Forsure infiniti is gonna be redesign by next summer. Hopefully the new IS gonna be faster and more sportier then the 2nd to keep up with competitions.
Old 12-04-12, 04:43 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW is the IS300h going to have exposed exhaust pipes or not? This pic seems to be given to the media directly by Lexus as it is included in the gallery of every review so far, but other pictures taken from the event seem to all have exposed pipes.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-04-12 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 04:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

been thinking about the video and the new IS the past few hours. it's really amazing and i can't say enough how awesome lexus has worked on this car and really put it above the others. although the outside still has the cover, but i think the overall shape looks good and in line with the ES, LS, etc... which i am thankful. i still have a lot of problems with the new GS.

interior i think is looking very good too. i am a bit worried about the materials, i wonder if they will be too close to the CT and ES, i guess that's remained to be seen. but the layout overall is good, though i have a feeling lexus is struggling with space to put in cup holders, remote touch, etc...

since the video is out i guess we can finally talk about the gauge cluster. what a pleasant surprise by lexus to put this futuristic tach in the dash, completely lfa like, very dynamic, and it's so different. i think it will be the biggest wow factor on the car.

two things came to my mind on this idea. first i am somewhat disappointed that lexus started this with the IS instead of the GS. again it hits me like lexus dropped the ball on GS again. GS is the mid-size sport sedan, IS is the entry level sport sedan. and IS gets this really cool feature while GS has the traditional cluster. i think that's quite a big bummer. second thing is this comes as a little "ouch" to the LFA owners, because suddenly this feature isn't that special anymore. but it's just a matter of time, though i am surprised it comes so soon.

no matter what though, really looking forward to this new IS. from the info i got, the car will be bigger, i want to see how that affects the driving. a lot of people compliment on the GS not increasing in size for driving, the the IS is going the other way. i hope the IS will becomes even more of a driver's car than the GS. i will put off the "similar driving and handling" mentioned in the video for now
Old 12-04-12, 04:56 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I get the tingles just looking at the dash, what an amazing upgrade considering the changes within the interior with an amazing looking steering wheel not to mention all those crazy tech savvy button!!!
The new leather also gives the car a new vibe (not sure if it's a positive or neg depending on how this new material will feel, last and present.)

Overall I really cant freaken wait for this to land at my local dealership for me to just give this car my one on one self examation, EXcited!!!
Old 12-04-12, 05:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by po1qw
I get the tingles just looking at the dash, what an amazing upgrade considering the changes within the interior with an amazing looking steering wheel not to mention all those crazy tech savvy button!!!
The new leather also gives the car a new vibe (not sure if it's a positive or neg depending on how this new material will feel, last and present.)

Overall I really cant freaken wait for this to land at my local dealership for me to just give this car my one on one self examation, EXcited!!!
All those pictures you guys are looking at are of the Hybrid which is the first to introduce NuLuxe3 synthetic leather. NuLuxe3 is the first NuLuxe to have perforated holes.

Real leather will be available on other models
Old 12-04-12, 05:07 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

why are the seats so ugly?
Old 12-04-12, 05:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

What we noticed first on our brief drive of IS prototypes is the seating position and the deeply bolstered seats. Lexus moved the hip point downward compared to the outgoing car. You sit lower than before and the steering wheel is more vertical, like a sports car. The interior design copies the shape and materials found in the GS. Push the start button and the instrument cluster lights up. A central-mounted tachometer, similar to the one in the LFA supercar, swings into position and illuminates its LED screen. Turn the Sport **** between the seats to select Sport mode and the tachometer changes from a black-on-white face to a white-on-black face.

Engines carry over from the current IS. The IS350’s 3.5-liter V-6 should have 306 hp and the IS250’s 2.5-liter V-6 should put out 204. An eight-speed automatic is standard with both engines—the slow-selling manual IS250 is dead. All-wheel drive will be available with both engines.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...e-drive-review

You know, Lexus would do a lot better to simply let few of us with 2IS into 3IS and let us write about things... since almost every article (and 98% are very positive) is simply dead wrong about few things. So it makes you wonder about other things they write about.
Old 12-04-12, 05:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
no matter what though, really looking forward to this new IS. from the info i got, the car will be bigger, i want to see how that affects the driving. a lot of people compliment on the GS not increasing in size for driving, the the IS is going the other way. i hope the IS will becomes even more of a driver's car than the GS. i will put off the "similar driving and handling" mentioned in the video for now

it will most likely drive like smaller and lighter GS with no DRS, which is what it is :-).
Car has 2.5" longer wheelbase, 3.5" more rear knee room and 20% bigger trunk.
Old 12-04-12, 05:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
why are the seats so ugly?

these? i love it... finally seat design! it also has L shaped holes.

also noticed taped off cup holders inside armrest for those that didnt notice them before.

edit: also notice leather around centre console, like GS, just probably a little bit less... same goes over dashboard, noticed it at least over instrument panel. Maybe small things for some, but not for me, i dont like my knees hitting plastic in my 2IS, this is a lot nicer. Also notice how all the switchgear is from GS, and doesnt look like Toyota stuff anymore.

Last edited by spwolf; 12-04-12 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit