IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 05:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...e-drive-review

You know, Lexus would do a lot better to simply let few of us with 2IS into 3IS and let us write about things... since almost every article (and 98% are very positive) is simply dead wrong about few things. So it makes you wonder about other things they write about.
I agree. That's a pretty bad slip. 250 gets the 6Auto
Old 12-04-12, 05:26 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...e-drive-review

You know, Lexus would do a lot better to simply let few of us with 2IS into 3IS and let us write about things... since almost every article (and 98% are very positive) is simply dead wrong about few things. So it makes you wonder about other things they write about.
It's common for these magazines to do this. Every forum I frequent says this about their respective brand's reviews and news.

I see Car and Driver liked it but called it a bit less playful than before. Very eager to see this car get tossed in the mix for a fun comparison test soon.
Old 12-04-12, 05:38 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I think the seats are bad as well, too 90's for me, way too many lines, too busy.

Not visually pleasing at all, its rather offensive.

My fingers are crossed that they are purely for camo reasons and to down grade expectations and will return to a clean design for final production.
Old 12-04-12, 05:41 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems that most reviews so far find the new IS more stable but less agile, definitely a direct product of the longer wheelbase and higher weight.
Old 12-04-12, 05:43 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

^^ the lines are bothering me too. I just want a clean looking seat like all the other Lexus cars. I hope that pertains to only the F sport and the regular ones will have normal non-line seats with simple perforations
Old 12-04-12, 05:48 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

AutoExpress's review of the IS300h. They don't like the sound generator and says "it doesn’t feel especially sporty, like a BMW." What they like is the drivetrain's "impeccable refinement", and that "it’s quiet and smooth, especially when you compare it to some rivals’ noisy four-cylinder diesels".
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/is/61704/lexus-300h
Old 12-04-12, 05:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

car seems very impressive - exciting!

i took a still from the dutch video and edited it some to lessen impact of camo and accentuate some lines. looks like the 3IS will look like a cross between a shortened ES (not a bad thing!) and the current IS (good too!).

lfa style guages are amazing at this price point.

car being bigger is always going to be a trade-off - can't have much more interior room without car getting bigger, not to mention making room for hybrid option.
Attached Thumbnails The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit-13is.jpg  
Old 12-04-12, 05:51 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Seems that most reviews so far find the new IS more stable but less agile, definitely a direct product of the longer wheelbase and higher weight.
Actually, if they compare the new one to 2011/12 model, I'm happy it's more stable. I drove 2011 loaner for a week. While it's more agile, it's less refined and steering is too light for my taste.
Old 12-04-12, 05:56 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

The comment about the 2IS being a better handling and more "tossable" vehicle overall (below the limit) is troubling news for the 3IS, but it's not surprising given the longer wheelbase and increased weight (as ydooby said).

Most daily driving (even "spirited" daily driving) is done well below the limit at which you lose traction and go into a drift. Frankly speaking I don't care that the 3IS gives me finer steering input control at the limit. I don't think I've ever been at the limit (traction control off taking a curve fast enough to just avoid going into a drift).

I mean, it's great news for 2IS owners who plan on keeping their 2IS for quite a while longer.
Old 12-04-12, 06:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
AutoExpress's review of the IS300h. They don't like the sound generator and says "it doesn’t feel especially sporty, like a BMW." What they like is the drivetrain's "impeccable refinement", and that "it’s quiet and smooth, especially when you compare it to some rivals’ noisy four-cylinder diesels".
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/is/61704/lexus-300h
well all UK car mags think 5 series is a lot better and different world compared to Lexus GS when it comes to driving experience... including Autocar and Autoexpress :-).
Old 12-04-12, 06:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dmvp29
The comment about the 2IS being a better handling and more "tossable" vehicle overall (below the limit) is troubling news for the 3IS, but it's not surprising given the longer wheelbase and increased weight (as ydooby said).

Most daily driving (even "spirited" daily driving) is done well below the limit at which you lose traction and go into a drift. Frankly speaking I don't care that the 3IS gives me finer steering input control at the limit. I don't think I've ever been at the limit (traction control off taking a curve fast enough to just avoid going into a drift).

I mean, it's great news for 2IS owners who plan on keeping their 2IS for quite a while longer.
I have 2IS and i see it completely opposite - in fact, i have had both 2IS and 3GS. And both have had same problem - lack of involment, feel, or whatever you want to call it, at the limit... My 3GS had good handling but when it slid, it slid, end of story, nothing you could do about it. With 2IS, I dont feel a lot at the steering wheel, and it is a bit bumpy but otherwise i have no complaints about handling.

But longer car, more luxurious/refinded chasis with more rear space and trunk, it is absolutely necessary evolution of 2IS imho.

2IS still looks good, but otherwise it is an old car. I am glad it looks good, it might mean that i will get good trade for mine :-)
Old 12-04-12, 06:15 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

these? i love it... finally seat design! it also has L shaped holes.

also noticed taped off cup holders inside armrest for those that didnt notice them before.

edit: also notice leather around centre console, like GS, just probably a little bit less... same goes over dashboard, noticed it at least over instrument panel. Maybe small things for some, but not for me, i dont like my knees hitting plastic in my 2IS, this is a lot nicer. Also notice how all the switchgear is from GS, and doesnt look like Toyota stuff anymore.
I hope we can still get our seats in suede like the current gen. :/
Old 12-04-12, 06:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
been thinking about the video and the new IS the past few hours. it's really amazing and i can't say enough how awesome lexus has worked on this car and really put it above the others. although the outside still has the cover, but i think the overall shape looks good and in line with the ES, LS, etc... which i am thankful. i still have a lot of problems with the new GS.

interior i think is looking very good too. i am a bit worried about the materials, i wonder if they will be too close to the CT and ES, i guess that's remained to be seen. but the layout overall is good, though i have a feeling lexus is struggling with space to put in cup holders, remote touch, etc...

since the video is out i guess we can finally talk about the gauge cluster. what a pleasant surprise by lexus to put this futuristic tach in the dash, completely lfa like, very dynamic, and it's so different. i think it will be the biggest wow factor on the car.

two things came to my mind on this idea. first i am somewhat disappointed that lexus started this with the IS instead of the GS. again it hits me like lexus dropped the ball on GS again. GS is the mid-size sport sedan, IS is the entry level sport sedan. and IS gets this really cool feature while GS has the traditional cluster. i think that's quite a big bummer. second thing is this comes as a little "ouch" to the LFA owners, because suddenly this feature isn't that special anymore. but it's just a matter of time, though i am surprised it comes so soon.

no matter what though, really looking forward to this new IS. from the info i got, the car will be bigger, i want to see how that affects the driving. a lot of people compliment on the GS not increasing in size for driving, the the IS is going the other way. i hope the IS will becomes even more of a driver's car than the GS. i will put off the "similar driving and handling" mentioned in the video for now
Lol Lexus dropped the ball on the GS b/c of gauges? The GS gauges are lovely as the refreshed LS. The IS is a younger demographic and likely will appreciate the gauges more than more conservative buyers.

It's certainly not the first time something from a halo car has trickled down from a halo. I mean vtach I think debuted on the Nsx and now every kid thinks vtech is a turbo in their civic. Didn't harm the Nsx its technology being used elsewhere.

It's CLEAR it doesn't matter how sporty a Lexus drives b/c the IS F, LfA and GS are among the best handling cars in class and arguably some of the best around and there is no exodus from other brands to buy and on the Internet they are ignored by the very TROLLS that will post over and over when a Lexus isn't sporty or isn't as sporty.

The 8 year old IS just outsold the 3 year old TL last month. The now fatter chubbier 3 series sold 10k units last month. The new IS will get its market share, hit its goals just like the last model and all the arguing on forums won't matter.

Old 12-04-12, 06:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ the lines are bothering me too. I just want a clean looking seat like all the other Lexus cars. I hope that pertains to only the F sport and the regular ones will have normal non-line seats with simple perforations
it is pretty interesting for me how different people want completely different things from Lexus.

To me, old school Lexus seats, while comfy were always the proof who Lexus and Toyota dont follow latest trends in car design. People want design today, not just functional things, especially with luxury. Up to 3GS, we didnt have trully adjustable seats in Lexus... until 2012!

As Hoovey said, these are hybrid seats actually... Nuluxe3. I do hope that real leather seats in F-Sport have same pattern :-). Heck, I do hope they have it in regular seats in case that F-Sport is too expensive here :-)
Old 12-04-12, 06:18 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

This is awesome! From some of the pics it appears that the LED's are separate from the headlights like what we have seen in many of concepts. Or is the camo really playing tricks on me?

Im seriously super excited for this car! I cant wait!

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit