IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 06:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dmvp29
The comment about the 2IS being a better handling and more "tossable" vehicle overall (below the limit) is troubling news for the 3IS, but it's not surprising given the longer wheelbase and increased weight (as ydooby said).

Most daily driving (even "spirited" daily driving) is done well below the limit at which you lose traction and go into a drift. Frankly speaking I don't care that the 3IS gives me finer steering input control at the limit. I don't think I've ever been at the limit (traction control off taking a curve fast enough to just avoid going into a drift).

I mean, it's great news for 2IS owners who plan on keeping their 2IS for quite a while longer.
Do you know why it isn't? B/c some of us are real enthusiasts that have driven these cars and know these things. It was idiotic to see people say the IS isn't sporty yadda yadda and other garbage when the IS drove very well and with f sport parts drove amazing.

Steering feel lacked. The small size of the IS and very potent engine in the 3.5 made it a hoot to drive.

There are simply too many people on car forums spreading crap about cara they never have driven or have driven properly. They regurgitate only the negative talking points in reviews that aligns with their screwed views.

Also don't just follow one review, read 5-10 as well as reviews globally to get a more accurate picture. Not just one review with the best 0-60 time and-or the one trashing the car.

For example the new GS is an amazing drive especially in loaded F sport trim. Most will default to the 5 series cause its the status quo. Notice how quiet its been on forums now that Lexus has the sportiest vehicle in class. Contrarily when the GS wasn't, it was bashed to death.

Lexus should have some IS events next year for people to see for themselves

Old 12-04-12, 06:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
This is awesome! From some of the pics it appears that the LED's are separate from the headlights like what we have seen in many of concepts. Or is the camo really playing tricks on me?

Im seriously super excited for this car! I cant wait!
it seems to be same as in that concept, it gives it some kind of 3D effect, thats what you are thinking about?
Old 12-04-12, 06:46 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can almost see through the camo in this photo and most of the design is clear:

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit-kfjh8.jpg

The headlights seem to be a 2 piece affair, with the LED strip below an oddly shaped main cluster. I'm not sure I'm liking the proportions, the car seems taller with an almost bubble dome roofline and looks way too feminine. It looks like a girl's car in the same vein as the last gen Audi TT. If the car is going to be taller for headroom reasons, it should also be wider to balance out.
Old 12-04-12, 06:51 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Do you know why it isn't? B/c some of us are real enthusiasts that have driven these cars and know these things. It was idiotic to see people say the IS isn't sporty yadda yadda and other garbage when the IS drove very well and with f sport parts drove amazing.

Steering feel lacked. The small size of the IS and very potent engine in the 3.5 made it a hoot to drive.

There are simply too many people on car forums spreading crap about cara they never have driven or have driven properly. They regurgitate only the negative talking points in reviews that aligns with their screwed views.

Also don't just follow one review, read 5-10 as well as reviews globally to get a more accurate picture. Not just one review with the best 0-60 time and-or the one trashing the car.

For example the new GS is an amazing drive especially in loaded F sport trim. Most will default to the 5 series cause its the status quo. Notice how quiet its been on forums now that Lexus has the sportiest vehicle in class. Contrarily when the GS wasn't, it was bashed to death.

Lexus should have some IS events next year for people to see for themselves
It's potentially disappointing because Lexus is clearly capable of producing top of the line handling. The 4GS is more of a driver's car than the current 5 series.

Of course that was just a subjective remark by the reviewer. I'm much more interested in seeing slalom figures/track time comparisons between the 2IS and 3IS (and 3IS and its competitors) which we obviously don't have yet.

If the 3IS produces better slalom/track figures than the 2IS, then it's objectively a better handling car. If the 3IS produces better slalom/track figures than any of its competitors, then it'll objectively be the better handling car. I hope it is. I want the 3IS to succeed where the 4GS has succeeded.
Old 12-04-12, 06:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

thats why they look 3d... because they are :-)... car is wider than before.
Old 12-04-12, 07:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The stiffer platform improves both the ride quality and handling because it gives the new suspension a stronger base of operations. Up front, the double wishbone design has been retained, however, the stabilizer bar link has been reworked, which increases its rigidity by 20%. The IS’s new rear suspension was plucked directly from the GS. The new setup, especially with the optional active dampers aboard, does a very good job keeping the rubber on the road —P225/40 R18 front and substantial P255/35R18 rear tires on the test car. The steering has also been refined. Again, the starting point was the GS’s rack, however, further work has sharpened the on-centre feel and made the rack ratio faster. This brings better feedback without making the IS350 seem twitchy. It also adds much better straight-line stability. The final dynamic touch is found in the IS350’s larger front rotors and performance brake pads.
Testing proved the IS350 to be noticeably crisper. The steering is much sharper and it turns in with more authority. The improvements were made all the more noticeable on the rain-soaked skid pad. There was very little body roll and less understeer when the IS was pushed as far as the conditions permitted. A g-force meter backed up all of my seat-of-the-pant evaluations. On the wet tarmac, the current IS350 available for testing pulled 0.81g before the stability control system intervened.[B] The new IS350 F Sport prototypes were pulling 0.91g before stability control intervention. Now, that is a significant and quantifiable improvement.[/B]
While the engines carry over from the current cars, there is an important upgrade for the IS350 — the addition of an eight-speed transmission (the IS250 retains the previous six-speed box). In the acceleration portion of the skid pad test, the current car put 103 kilometres an hour on the speedometer before hitting the braking zone — the new car with its extra ratios was showing 114 km/h when it hit the same point. The difference is found in the taller first and second gear ratios. They give a noticeably faster launch and a much stronger mid-range. The transmission will also have a positive effect on fuel economy. The canyon drive proved the new car is very quiet. However, an intake noise attenuator ensures the driver hears the right noises when it’s appropriate.

http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/12...d-with-new-is/

so there you go... faster in every measurable way, happy now?

:-)
Old 12-04-12, 07:09 PM
flyfl1pguy

This 3rd gen IS will be nice!!! Hopefully a full frontal will pop up soon!!!
Old 12-04-12, 07:17 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is pretty interesting for me how different people want completely different things from Lexus.

To me, old school Lexus seats, while comfy were always the proof who Lexus and Toyota dont follow latest trends in car design. People want design today, not just functional things, especially with luxury. Up to 3GS, we didnt have trully adjustable seats in Lexus... until 2012!

As Hoovey said, these are hybrid seats actually... Nuluxe3. I do hope that real leather seats in F-Sport have same pattern :-). Heck, I do hope they have it in regular seats in case that F-Sport is too expensive here :-)
Different strokes...

If it makes you feel any better, the new 3 series seats with the lack of line is ugly too
Old 12-04-12, 07:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

it seems to be same as in that concept, it gives it some kind of 3D effect, thats what you are thinking about?
yes. you can see below the led strip separate from the main headlights. At least that is what I am seeing.

Old 12-04-12, 07:36 PM
mush
Pole Position

that gauge

honestly im half and half on that gauge and the traditional ones... the one on the 3IS is super cool but i feel like the traditional ones feel a little bit more alive
Old 12-04-12, 07:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
yes. you can see below the led strip separate from the main headlights. At least that is what I am seeing.

it looks to me like we didnt see half of it yet... they hid best parts of interior and exterior right now.
Old 12-04-12, 08:03 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

do you think any body panels are being used from the 2IS to conceal the new model even further? because the exterior sure does look a whole lot like the 2IS - particularly the side panels.
Old 12-04-12, 08:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Anyone else notice the Lexus "L" perforations in the seat leather? Pretty cool.
Old 12-04-12, 09:05 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

well all UK car mags think 5 series is a lot better and different world compared to Lexus GS when it comes to driving experience... including Autocar and Autoexpress :-).

Which probably means that in reality, the new IS, like the new GS will be class-leading in handling and driver involvement, given the disconnect with reality that these mainstream UK mags are currently suffering from.

The new IS350 F Sport prototypes were pulling 0.91g before stability control intervention.
That is very exciting. Potentially best-in-class handling. Hopefully the finalized IS350 F-Sport will continue on to produce class-leading skidpad and slalom numbers.

Last edited by natnut; 12-04-12 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 09:08 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/12...d-with-new-is/

so there you go... faster in every measurable way, happy now?

:-)
Yep. Those are fantastic results and really encouraging. Objective measures > Subjective interpretation for me, personally.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit