IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 05:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I've been lucky enough to see the real thing (official picture). Looks sleek, and the side skirts sweep upward towards the rear fenders. Taillights are very sharp. No word on power train as Lexus (training event) only showed us pictures. Interior as guessed has the recessed navigation and remote touch as well as similar steering wheel to the GS and RX. Tail pipes are dual and come in slightly more inwards than current.

A lot of models probably won't have a navigation (option) but will have a multi media display with a decent sized screen. What's really neat is say when the iPhone5 comes out you can stream its new vectoring map straight to the screen, so there's really no need to buy the extra cost navigation.

The current model will soldier on as a 13 model for about half a year before making the change.

That's all I can think of right now
Old 08-06-12, 05:44 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that. Hopefully, 3IS to sit on shortened/modified current GS chassis than to sit on the old platform because driving dynamic of the new GS is better than its predecessor. Based on the spied shot of IS F convertible, it will have new suspension set up, but the chassis detail remained unknown.

Lexus should give 3IS a refreshed drivetrain with more power and fuel economy like they did with the current model, then update the 4GS drivetrain the year after.
I love how my 2IS looks, but there is no reason to keep the volume selling car for that long even the styling still ages pretty well. It needs to be refreshing and sleek. Back seat is cramped, but I don't really complain much about it because it's supposed to be a smaller GS, not a oversized RWD corolla.
Old 08-06-12, 05:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

The current model will soldier on as a 13 model for about half a year before making the change.
I confirmed that a while ago, I will ask my source about what kind of powertrains we might expect to see.
Old 08-06-12, 06:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

IS250 and IS350 remain the same or slightly upgraded.... only new hybrid, IS300h is coming, supposedly 240hp my sources say. IS250 stays as lower cost option, as it will cost 5k less than IS300h.
Old 08-06-12, 06:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The "same body" description doesn't make sense. I think it's a mistake in translation. The 2014 should/will have an all new body.

Hoovey, how did the front look? Also, how different would you rate the entire car compared to the current model? IE, huge change, medium change, or smaller change? Lastly, on a scale of 1-10, how much did you like it?

Thanks
Old 08-06-12, 07:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The "same body" description doesn't make sense. I think it's a mistake in translation. The 2014 should/will have an all new body.

Hoovey, how did the front look? Also, how different would you rate the entire car compared to the current model? IE, huge change, medium change, or smaller change? Lastly, on a scale of 1-10, how much did you like it?

Thanks
especially compare it to IS when it came out in 2006, not now...
Old 08-06-12, 07:05 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Really excited to see this! Hoovey, do you think the front end is as aggressive as the LS Fsport?
Old 08-06-12, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

i think spindle will look really good on the is.
Old 08-06-12, 07:33 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Any chance of a real coupe to take on the G and 3 coupes?
Old 08-06-12, 07:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I confirmed that a while ago, I will ask my source about what kind of powertrains we might expect to see.
lol, we've seen your "source" and accuracy

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Any chance of a real coupe to take on the G and 3 coupes?
Yes

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I've been lucky enough to see the real thing (official picture). Looks sleek, and the side skirts sweep upward towards the rear fenders. Taillights are very sharp. No word on power train as Lexus (training event) only showed us pictures. Interior as guessed has the recessed navigation and remote touch as well as similar steering wheel to the GS and RX. Tail pipes are dual and come in slightly more inwards than current.

A lot of models probably won't have a navigation (option) but will have a multi media display with a decent sized screen. What's really neat is say when the iPhone5 comes out you can stream its new vectoring map straight to the screen, so there's really no need to buy the extra cost navigation.

That's all I can think of right now
Hoovey ftw...a reputable source and gasp, Lexus owner that gasp, people know and have met and goes to meets. Really adds to credibility.

Old 08-06-12, 08:00 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Hoovey,

Any word if the new IS will have the torque vectoring AWD and DCT that Lexus has hinted at in the Lexus Advisory Board?

For the sake of predicting (and likely being wrong), I am hoping the 3.5 engine replacement is a 3.7 or 3.8 with 340 to 360 HP.
Old 08-06-12, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Hoovey,

Any word if the new IS will have the torque vectoring AWD and DCT that Lexus has hinted at in the Lexus Advisory Board?

For the sake of predicting (and likely being wrong), I am hoping the 3.5 engine replacement is a 3.7 or 3.8 with 340 to 360 HP.
Possibly LF-LC gets a trick tranny

Old 08-06-12, 08:17 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes
Hopefully, IS-F coupe is coming.
Old 08-06-12, 09:21 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh, come on Hoovey, you have seen the real thing, tell us more about it, teaser!
Old 08-06-12, 10:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

Thanks
Overall I'm pretty excited. My biggest fear is that I would like it too much and trade in. Front obviously as predicted has the spindle grille which IMO looks rather handsome on a small car (similar to to how at least for your Bangle era cars the smaller they were the better looking they are, reverse for the larger ones). I think it suits it very well. Like the GS side profile the IS sides do still have that "slab" feel but more aero and sweeping side sills add to a different look. Your biggest differences are in the front and rear. Like I mentioned earlier the tails are very sharp and remind me of the LF-GH concept for the GS. Overall I would say the change is in between medium and huge. Of course my opinion is subjective but I'd give it a solid 9. The one small photo of the interior that I saw has an overall GS-esque feel to me, but the photo being so small has me a little worried because I couldn't see the quality of the materials used. Point being, working at a high end automall and based out of our Lexus dealer I'm in new ES's and GS's day in and day out. With this new ES out I am NOT impressed whatsoever by the cheapness and quality of the materials used (nothing to do with design layout which is fine IMO). I just hope the IS follows the better quality materials of the GS and not this ES, because as the driver this would be my biggest gripe and deterrent for not getting a new IS based on interior.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Really excited to see this! Hoovey, do you think the front end is as aggressive as the LS Fsport?
I think they both carry about the same "presence" in terms of aggression, but the F-Sport is certainly a beauty. If I saw one in Obsidian or Starfire Pearl I wouldn't be able to resist. I'll double check the photos (I don't have them my manager does) but iirc the F-Sport doesn't have fogs. But i'll check again, so if anyone has any questions about the aesthetics short of showing an actual picture i'll be happy to take a look and answer if I can.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol, we've seen your "source" and accuracy

Yes

Hoovey ftw...a reputable source and gasp, Lexus owner that gasp, people know and have met and goes to meets. Really adds to credibility.
Thanks Mike! Just trying to serve these boards best I can

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Hoovey,

Unfortunately no word on power trains. The only "Vectoring" I know about is the streaming of navigation maps with vectoring lol. The 250 manual is dead that much we know. I'll keep my ears open for any slips on this.

Either they will continue to soldier on with the older powertrains or take the opportunity to introduce new ones it's really anyone's guess still. We do know that the hybrid will be offered too so IS300h, a member suggested 240hp but I'm pretty sure it's the same 200hp like in the new ES300h. We'll see. One things for sure, if a new V6 bows in replacement for the 3.5L DI, it needs to be as refined. My biggest gripe with the G37 is the coarse sounding engine. I much prefer the VQ35. DCT would be nice, but at least a 8-speed with a true manual mode similar to the current GS's 6-speed with a true manual mode will suffice for me. But again this is all heresy.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Ohh, come on Hoovey, you have seen the real thing, tell us more about it, teaser!
lol ok, like I mentioned above I'll take another look at the photos. If anyone has any questions regarding the aesthetics, go head and ask and i'll do my best to answer them

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit