IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Lol Lexus dropped the ball on the GS b/c of gauges? The GS gauges are lovely as the refreshed LS. The IS is a younger demographic and likely will appreciate the gauges more than more conservative buyers.

It's certainly not the first time something from a halo car has trickled down from a halo. I mean vtach I think debuted on the Nsx and now every kid thinks vtech is a turbo in their civic. Didn't harm the Nsx its technology being used elsewhere.

It's CLEAR it doesn't matter how sporty a Lexus drives b/c the IS F, LfA and GS are among the best handling cars in class and arguably some of the best around and there is no exodus from other brands to buy and on the Internet they are ignored by the very TROLLS that will post over and over when a Lexus isn't sporty or isn't as sporty.

The 8 year old IS just outsold the 3 year old TL last month. The now fatter chubbier 3 series sold 10k units last month. The new IS will get its market share, hit its goals just like the last model and all the arguing on forums won't matter.
gs gauge is lovely? like how? i don't think it's bad, but it's nothing to wow about. they could have put the IS gauge in the GS, but nop. GS conservative buyers? do we want to go back to 1998 when lexus did that drastic GS gauge with the backlight? last i recalled a lot of people back then praised about the refreshing gauge design on the GS. yeah, conservative, apparently you can stand on both sides of the table. sorry but yes, among a lot of things, i think lexus could have put more effort and focus on the GS. you can like your GS and i respect that, but i still think it doesn't look right and so are a lot of friends around me who are true car enthusiasts and know cars in and out. take it or leave it

did i say nothing from LFA should trickle down? i didn't say technology won't trickle down, in fact that's exactly the idea of the lfa. yes, even a lot of people on the internet know that. but that doesn't change my point that it does happen pretty fast. there are tons of good stuff about the lfa that we praise, and the gauge cluster is easily one item high up on the list. so yes, i think this is very quick to see it on the IS. again, take it or leave it

i surely hope all the argument doesn't matter so you can stop arguing with people posting their opinions. it's not up to you to label anyone trolls or not, or anyone can label you the same any time. what i have done is nothing but praising what lexus has done on the new IS. if one truly appreciates a car (any brand), one should focus on talking about the car and how it is good (and bad), and not just being passive aggressive on all the nay-sayers out there

Last edited by rominl; 12-04-12 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 09:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haters run for the hills!

That gauge cluster, absolutely incredible !!

Those seats look incredible too, way to go Lexus! And the body styling just screams, sleek, sporty, sleek!

I'm loving how radical this new IS is going to be. The separated LED strip away from the main headlight unit, to those super-sharp taillights, this car is going to look so cool, yet very much a Lexus. Can't wait to see the final car!

So some journalists say it's better than the 3 Series, some say it's worse, gee what else is new? These journalists are useless. 0.91g on the skidpad for the IS350 F-Sport prototype, that's just amazing and shows how clueless these journalists are.

Here are all the FACTS that you need to know; this is an all NEW car, rides on a shortened version of the new GS chassis, with more predictable and confident handling especially at the limit and at high speeds, yet still offering sharp response. Overall handling should be better than the 2IS, and NVH along with road and wind noise is a big improvement over the 2IS, along with overall interior quality, just based on the pics. Like the new 4GS, the 3IS will have an ideal ride/handling balance, and will very likely be the best-handling car in class.

Originally Posted by ydooby
So if the GS is all new and the new IS is based on the new GS, then why isn't the IS considered all new?
Because the Edmunds journalist doesn't know what he's talking about. The 3IS is all-new, even if it has familiar styling cues.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
:
I just had/have high hopes for the IS.
Oh, so you're basing your hopes now on simply a few previews from clueless journalists?

First off, one review has already given objective numbers, that the 3IS 350 F-Sport handles much better on a skidpad than a 2IS 350.

Secondly, why don't you wait till the car is in showrooms, and then test drive it so you can see for yourself what it's like.

Originally Posted by RXSF
why are the seats so ugly?
Haha because that's your opinion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like the 3IS will look like a cross between a shortened ES (not a bad thing!) and the current IS (good too!).
Nope. The car will look more like a cross between the 4GS, 2IS, and the LF-CC concept. Almost nothing ES in this design.

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is pretty interesting for me how different people want completely different things from Lexus.

To me, old school Lexus seats, while comfy were always the proof who Lexus and Toyota dont follow latest trends in car design. People want design today, not just functional things, especially with luxury. Up to 3GS, we didnt have trully adjustable seats in Lexus... until 2012!

As Hoovey said, these are hybrid seats actually... Nuluxe3. I do hope that real leather seats in F-Sport have same pattern :-). Heck, I do hope they have it in regular seats in case that F-Sport is too expensive here :-)
It's because:

a.) some people on these forums don't even own a Lexus, or plan on owning a Lexus in the near future
b.) others that are Lexus owners, are not necessarily in the target market for the IS. Of course an ES or RX owner is going to complain about some aspects of the 3IS design, because the design is radical compared to an ES or RX, and is aimed at a different market segment. ES and RX buyers/owners are older and more conservative. The IS is aimed at the youngest Lexus demographic (along with arguably the CT).

Do you know why it isn't? B/c some of us are real enthusiasts that have driven these cars and know these things. It was idiotic to see people say the IS isn't sporty yadda yadda and other garbage when the IS drove very well and with f sport parts drove amazing.

Steering feel lacked. The small size of the IS and very potent engine in the 3.5 made it a hoot to drive.

There are simply too many people on car forums spreading crap about cara they never have driven or have driven properly. They regurgitate only the negative talking points in reviews that aligns with their screwed views.

Also don't just follow one review, read 5-10 as well as reviews globally to get a more accurate picture. Not just one review with the best 0-60 time and-or the one trashing the car.

For example the new GS is an amazing drive especially in loaded F sport trim. Most will default to the 5 series cause its the status quo. Notice how quiet its been on forums now that Lexus has the sportiest vehicle in class. Contrarily when the GS wasn't, it was bashed to death.

Lexus should have some IS events next year for people to see for themselves
There are also too many non-Lexus owners criticizing Lexus models, and a lot of paid trolls all over internet forums which you know all too well, but those are off-topic discussions.
Old 12-04-12, 10:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

"So I step up to the camo 350 and find more of the same, with extra urge of course, and a bit more compliance in the rear suspension. But it's the road drive that will provide the real answers, so we hit the freeway and head for the hills. Literally.
The IS250 is immediately quieter than I remember - Furuyama confirms big cuts to wind and road noise - and the eight-speed auto is great."

The 250 does NOT get the 8-speed, right? The wording of 250 and 8-speed right after is confusing.
Old 12-04-12, 11:07 PM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lovin' the gauge cluster, interior, rear tail lights (from what i can make of them), and seperate LED DRL. Seats look good too. Looks like they took a lot of cues from the LF-CC concept.

Can't wait to see what the 3IS F looks like!
Old 12-04-12, 11:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

It's CLEAR it doesn't matter how sporty a Lexus drives b/c the IS F, LfA and GS are among the best handling cars in class and arguably some of the best around and there is no exodus from other brands to buy and on the Internet they are ignored by the very TROLLS that will post over and over when a Lexus isn't sporty or isn't as sporty.
by 'TROLLS' you're hopefully not referring to people in this thread, but regardless we don't need inflammatory or baiting comments here please.

Do you know why it isn't? B/c some of us are real enthusiasts that have driven these cars and know these things.
it is inflammatory and baiting to imply that just because you've driven certain cars or know certain things that those that haven't are not 'real enthusiasts'. please stop.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Haters run for the hills!
don't know who you're referring to, but i've seen no hate in this thread so no need for comments like this.

a.) some people on these forums don't even own a Lexus, or plan on owning a Lexus in the near future
clublexus welcomes owners of any or no vehicles. all opinions are just that, opinions, and in Car Chat in particular, we welcome diverse viewpoints as long as people remain respectful and polite.

on a personal note, i'm excited about this new IS!
Old 12-04-12, 11:27 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Seeing as how Blueprint responded to me initially and then TRD responded to Blueprint with this "non-Lexus owners" comment, just for the record our household owns an 07 LS460 and an 09 IS350 (among other, non-Lexus vehicles).
Old 12-04-12, 11:43 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i think lexus could have put more effort and focus on the GS. you can like your GS and i respect that, but i still think it doesn't look right and so are a lot of friends around me who are true car enthusiasts and know cars in and out. take it or leave it
Don't want to go off topic since we're talking IS here so this will be my final word on the GS :

Just because subjectively the new GS design doesn't sit well with you doesn't mean that Lexus didn't put in the utmost time and effort into the new GS. I mean, the engineering team test-drove the test-mules for a total of a million miles and it is also obvious that the new GS chassis is in a totally different league, ride/handling-wise, compared to the previous generation. The interior quality, fit-and-finish and design is also a vast improvement over ANY Lexus preceding it, let alone the previous GS.

In Short, take off the Lexus badge from the new GS, sit in it and test-drive it and you would be hard-pressed to tell that it was made by the same company as its predecessors. That's how much different the new GS is from other Lexii.

I think all these design cues in the 4GS that you dislike aren't so much evidence of lack of effort or focus on the part of Lexus but are more a DELIBERATE design choice that Lexus made.If you said that you disagreed with these choices, I would have nothing to say. Where I take issue is when you extrapolate these design choices as evidence of lack of effort or focus.

Back on Topic :

similarly, based on the fact that the upcoming IS is using the 4GS platform and from the early reviews, I expect the 3IS to be similarly groundbreaking and a total break from the past (from previous Lexii).

Last edited by natnut; 12-04-12 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-05-12, 12:37 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

So I guess it's the end of an era for the trademark light saber needles. Was the LS and older GS and ES the only other models to have them?

Don't know if it's the camo or not, but the interior looks cold and lifeless without wood or aluminum anywhere. Hopefully it sprouts up in January.

Taillights... first gen TSX?
Old 12-05-12, 12:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
gs gauge is lovely? like how? i don't think it's bad, but it's nothing to wow about. they could have put the IS gauge in the GS, but nop. GS conservative buyers? do we want to go back to 1998 when lexus did that drastic GS gauge with the backlight? last i recalled a lot of people back then praised about the refreshing gauge design on the GS. yeah, conservative, apparently you can stand on both sides of the table. sorry but yes, among a lot of things, i think lexus could have put more effort and focus on the GS. you can like your GS and i respect that, but i still think it doesn't look right and so are a lot of friends around me who are true car enthusiasts and know cars in and out. take it or leave it

did i say nothing from LFA should trickle down? i didn't say technology won't trickle down, in fact that's exactly the idea of the lfa. yes, even a lot of people on the internet know that. but that doesn't change my point that it does happen pretty fast. there are tons of good stuff about the lfa that we praise, and the gauge cluster is easily one item high up on the list. so yes, i think this is very quick to see it on the IS. again, take it or leave it

i surely hope all the argument doesn't matter so you can stop arguing with people posting their opinions. it's not up to you to label anyone trolls or not, or anyone can label you the same any time. what i have done is nothing but praising what lexus has done on the new IS. if one truly appreciates a car (any brand), one should focus on talking about the car and how it is good (and bad), and not just being passive aggressive on all the nay-sayers out there

while mike is a bit on the edge, isnt it also the point of LFA for tech to trickle down? Hopefully all Lexus cars will take the best out of LFA in the future, right? It is a bit unfair to criticize mike while you are kind of doing similar things re: mentioning 4GS and LFA in such sense, "damned if they do, damned if they dont", etc.

I respect everyone's opinion even if i have completely different one, it might not always seem that way since i am often too enthusiastic about new models, but it is still the truth.
Old 12-05-12, 01:30 AM
kitxenon
Driver School Candidate

Default Why the car is gluded

Why the car is glued with scotch? Thanks .
Old 12-05-12, 01:39 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kitxenon
Why the car is glued with scotch? Thanks .
It's a prototype, so camo-ing the car to hide its design. They will reveal it in January at Detroit Auto Show.
Old 12-05-12, 03:15 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally love almost everything that has been given to us. I can't wait for the IS-F variant of this gen
Old 12-05-12, 03:28 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Smile

I have no words as I'm shocked and beyond happy they did this. Only Lexus is gracious enough to do this, unlike Infiniti that could give a damn and you won't see the bloody car until 5 minutes before the auto show debut(unless someone leaks it). It's too bad I have penchant for a manual, otherwise this would be major contender for me next summer. I'm really glad to see how large this thread has become!

Last edited by Carmaker1; 12-05-12 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-05-12, 05:40 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Oh, so you're basing your hopes now on simply a few previews from clueless journalists?

First off, one review has already given objective numbers, that the 3IS 350 F-Sport handles much better on a skidpad than a 2IS 350.

Secondly, why don't you wait till the car is in showrooms, and then test drive it so you can see for yourself what it's like.
I tend to to give to ignore skidpad numbers when given in isolation, as that doesn't tell the whole story. As I've stated several times, I'm quite eager to see what this car does in subsequent tests.

And I will not care to test drive this car, thanks. I don't intend on buying another car that small for starters, secondly I don't take test drives just for fun.
Old 12-05-12, 06:16 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's certainly not the first time something from a halo car has trickled down from a halo. I mean vtach I think debuted on the Nsx and now every kid thinks vtech is a turbo in their civic. Didn't harm the Nsx its technology being used elsewhere.
Actually Vtec debuted on the 1989 Honda Integra RSi/XSi with its B16A engine.

Last edited by B16da9; 12-05-12 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit