IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 09:56 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The 2IS was largely underrated IMO, and it would be nice to see Lexus reassert and not move farther down the “chain” now that the ATS has arrived.
I doubt Lexus will move farther down the "chain" since they're tier 1 luxury and Cadillac who's been around since 1902 is not tier 1 luxury.

Yes, the ATS is nice but also new the scene. Lexus is on the third generation IS which will do very well and is expanding with variants. We'll get:

IS sedan
IS convertible
IS coupe
IS hybrid

and of course the IS F.

It appears the ATS has it's work cut out for itself?

Also this 3IS appears to awesome and can't wait for it to come out already...
Old 12-05-12, 09:57 AM
LexFather

^^ Bud, I didn't even read your post, just responding to natnut who's views I respect.

For me I wish the coupe debuted with the sedan as I am in the market...and a smaller IS F sport with Red Leather sounds sexy but for our household wouldn't make much sense. Though luxury is about **** sense

I think Hoovey and I both stated the looks will be evolutionary and shared with the other models and we both feel the 2IS is better looking. That said the new Lexus front end has grown on me TONS.

Lets all be honest, its going to sell well, the 3 series will sell well, the G37 will sell well. They are all very good cars in this segment so not sure how anyone can really complain about any outside of just natural bias.

Old 12-05-12, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

from what i've seen i think this new IS will be way better looking that the current IS. not knocking the current IS at all - it's a great design that has 'aged' very gracefully. but i think the new IS will be a home run design.
Old 12-05-12, 11:06 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
from what i've seen i think this new IS will be way better looking that the current IS. not knocking the current IS at all - it's a great design that has 'aged' very gracefully. but i think the new IS will be a home run design.

i hope it is...the 2IS was a huge success by my standards...the car was, literally, one of the best looking small sedans on the roads and as you said, even today it's still catching eyes as much as it did when it first arrived.

have they confirmed that the IS300h is US-bound? i know there were talks of it but didn't catch if it was definitive. i'm really interested in that model if this new commute of mine is to happen
Old 12-05-12, 11:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
are we sure it is in base models? I bet it isnt :-).

Do you know Hoovey? It might be just higher spec or just F-Sport.
From my sources, the LFA gauge is F-Sport only. Believe 250/350 are typical electroluminescent gauges
Old 12-05-12, 11:50 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2014 Lexus IS Sedan

Like we've already said, it'll be a mini-GS in pretty much every way.

The 2014 Lexus IS sedan is scheduled to debut at the Detroit auto show this January. The first wholesale redesign of the model since 2006, the new IS has been redesigned from nose to tail. On our prototype drive, Lexus revealed a lot about the IS, but the styling is one of the many secrets the brand was not ready to reveal. From what we inferred looking at the camouflage-covered cars, they appear to borrow heavily from the current IS and the latest GS.

The borrowing continues under the new skin. Lexus did disclose that the ’14 IS will be built on a smaller version of the GS platform. A shrunken GS equals a larger baby brother, but how much larger? Good question. Lexus wasn’t ready to give up exact dimensions, but the interior feels more spacious than before, especially the rear seat. We’d wager that a longer wheelbase is a certainty and we’d guess that has been stretched a couple of inches from the current 107.5-inch wheelbase.

Lexus did reveal that the rear suspension has been completely redesigned. Like the GS, this IS has a compact rear suspension that separates the shock and spring to increase trunk space. In front, the control-arm suspension appears to carry over with the exception of reworked mounts for the anti-roll bar. Electrically assisted power steering returns, but Lexus has tweaked and strengthened the rack components to improve steering feel.

What we noticed first on our brief drive of IS prototypes is the seating position and the deeply bolstered seats. Lexus moved the hip point downward compared to the outgoing car. You sit lower than before and the steering wheel is more vertical, like a sports car. The interior design copies the shape and materials found in the GS. Push the start button and the instrument cluster lights up. A central-mounted tachometer, similar to the one in the LFA supercar, swings into position and illuminates its LED screen. Turn the Sport **** between the seats to select Sport mode and the tachometer changes from a black-on-white face to a white-on-black face.

Engines carry over from the current IS. The IS350’s 3.5-liter V-6 should have 306 hp and the IS250’s 2.5-liter V-6 should put out 204. An eight-speed automatic is standard with both engines—the slow-selling manual IS250 is dead. All-wheel drive will be available with both engines. A hybrid version, with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder and electric motor, will be sold outside North America. With the hybrid CT200h and the ES300h already on sale, Lexus doesn’t see a need for the similarly priced IS hybrid in the States.

We drove F Sport versions of the IS350 and IS250. Like the GS350 F Sport, the F Sport IS receives a unique front end, larger wheels than stock, summer tires, and firmer shocks and springs. IS350 F Sport models will offer active steering and electronically adjustable shocks. All IS models are available with Drive Mode Select that allows the driver to tailor powertrain responsiveness to thriftiness (Eco), regular operation (Normal), or friskiness (Sport S) by twisting a **** behind the shifter. When equipped with active steering and shocks, an additional Sport S + mode also changes the steering (quicker ratio and heavier effort) and shock (firmer) settings.

Driven back-to-back with the current IS, the new car proves to be the more stable of the two. It’s likely that overall grip has increased, but some of the IS’s playfulness and character has been excised out of the prototypes we drove. It’s a small difference, and one that likely can be chalked up to the heavier GS-based architecture—which is up to 176 pounds heavier. We’ll withhold final judgments until we drive the production-ready IS lineup, though.

On sale next summer, the IS250 and 350 will be joined—probably in mid- to late 2014—by a new IS F. A new-gen convertible is not yet confirmed, but remains a strong possibility. A coupe version, hopefully previewed by the stunning Lexus LF-CC concept shown at the Paris show, is reportedly still being studied.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-2014-Lexus-IS
Old 12-05-12, 02:04 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2014 Lexus IS VS Lexus LF-CC

Old 12-05-12, 02:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i love that new F-Sport interior....
Old 12-05-12, 02:33 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

2 piece headlights look interesting. Need to see it in the paint.

So lexus finally got rid of the mouse and used a **** like everyone else... Must have been too many complaints.

I would still prefer touch screen, like all the tablets and gadgets these days.

ribbed seats "look ugly" because you're not used to the change yet.

Ferrari and others have had ribbed seat styles for a long time.

Last edited by pman6; 12-05-12 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-05-12, 02:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pman6
So lexus finally got rid of the mouse and used a **** like everyone else... Must have been too many complaints.
nope, it is just model without nav... they get simpler interface... with nav you get remote touch. it looks the same in 2013 ES.
Old 12-05-12, 02:54 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope, it is just model without nav... they get simpler interface... with nav you get remote touch. it looks the same in 2013 ES.
The display touch is LF-CC concept is interesting though. It reminds me of Razer Blade Gaming Laptop.
Old 12-05-12, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pman6
2 piece headlights look interesting. Need to see it in the paint.

I would still prefer touch screen, like all the tablets and gadgets these days.

ribbed seats "look ugly" because you're not used to the change yet.

Ferrari and others have had ribbed seat styles for a long time.
as spwolf mentioned no they did not get rid of remote touch. Which, for everyone else reading this should be clarified.

Remote Touch models have navigation and with RT they have the little wrist rest. On non navi models, a turn/push **** is used for the multimedia display.

Now here's the kicker. Most IS models will NOT come with navigation. Why you ask? Because the 14 IS will be the first to be able to stream your maps from your smart phone onto the multimedia display. No need for a $2000 OEM navi system anymore

13 RX as well my friend
Old 12-05-12, 02:58 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
as spwolf mentioned no they did not get rid of remote touch. Which, for everyone else reading this should be clarified.

Remote Touch models have navigation and with RT they have the little wrist rest. On non navi models, a turn/push **** is used for the multimedia display.

Now here's the kicker. Most IS models will NOT come with navigation. Why you ask? Because the 14 IS will be the first to be able to stream your maps from your smart phone onto the multimedia display. No need for a $2000 OEM navi system anymore

13 RX as well my friend
Hey Hoovey, is it going to working with Windows Phone 8? I want to get Nokia Lumia 920 because of its offline navigation capability.
Old 12-05-12, 02:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

13 RX as well my friend
yeah but here is the question - how big screen will you get with non nav models? If they make them the same, awesome... if they do big screen for nav, small screen + plastic sides :-).

in this case though, I can also see them using bigger screen but no nav for instance, for higher end models... who knows.... u just hope it looks fine with smaller screen.
Old 12-05-12, 03:00 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by cino
Hey Hoovey, is it going to working with Windows Phone 8? I want to get Nokia Lumia 920 because of its offline navigation capability.
No idea about compatibility at this point. On thing we know is it can stream mapping

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit